Brewing Coffee - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Brewing Coffee

Just wondering. . . .with the amazing electronics available today. . .

Does anyone brew coffee in your vehicle when traveling? If so, what do you use?

I have coffee brewers that will work in a travel trailer or at home. . . I love *good* coffee and you can't always find it on the road.

After looking at the reviews of the 1 12-v brewer available on Amazon.com (takes at least 20 minutes), I am thinking it is just best to brew before you take off in the morning and keep it in a thermos. . . the old-fashioned way.

Thanks,
Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We boil water in an elec. tea pot or on the range and use a cone like this and a filter. Compact storage, easy clean up, one less big thing to haul around. If you are in to the fancy coffee some use a compact coffee press also from Amazon.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-D...our+over&psc=1
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #3

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
We boil water in an elec. tea pot or on the range and use a cone like this and a filter. Compact storage, easy clean up, one less big thing to haul around. If you are in to the fancy coffee some use a compact coffee press also from Amazon.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-D...our+over&psc=1

Thanks, Eddie. I am not into "fancy" - just good! I use a comparable product made by Melita for "pour overs". Can't beat the taste of fresh!

Thanks again,
Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Same here. We treat ourselves to a pound of fresh roasted coffee from a local place at the start of a trip and have it ground at purchase- one less gadget to lug around. I do a pour-over, but a press would work, too, if that is your preference (a bit more clean-up, something I like to minimize when camping). A good thermos keeps it hot and fresh all morning, whether in camp or on the road.

On a longer trip, looking for your next pound of coffee could become part of the fun as you explore local roasters.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Well it's not electric and I wouldn't attempt brewing a cup while driving but when we were looking for something to replace our french press last year we discovered the AeroPress. There was a long discussion regarding coffee makers on another camping forum I frequent and this one was mentioned favorably by a number of people. It's simple, compact and makes a really good cup of coffee. Additionally, it works very well in the camper but for on the road you would have to go the thermos route.
Attached Images

Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I added a 1000 watt inverter, primarily so I could make a pot of drip coffee in the mornings. While I use it for other things, I still prefer drip coffee from freshly ground beans.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
.....I am thinking it is just best to brew before you take off in the morning and keep it in a thermos..
Definitely the way to go, as those 12V brewers are lousy at proper extraction of coffee. This is what we do. We don't use a thermos either, just quality thermal cups that keep the coffee hot for a couple hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
....last year we discovered the AeroPress..
I discovered the AeroPress just after it came out over 10 years ago. It is our exclusive way of making coffee in the trailer, it goes with us canoeing and when driving or flying to a destination without the trailer. It has also brewed 90% of our coffee at home too.

But, by far the number one thing to do to ensure you have the freshest, most tasty cup of coffee no matter what the method of extraction, is to freshly grind the beans right before brewing. We use a top quality manual grinder outside the house, the Orphan Espresson Lido 3. Yes, we use a $30 coffee maker, and a $195 grinder.

I also roast my own green coffee beans to have maximum control over the various coffees we drink. My name is Jim, and I am a coffee snob.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...My name is Jim, and I am a coffee snob.
Does that mean you're in recovery?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Does that mean you're in recovery?
Nope, but I need to be committed!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We also use an Aeropress at home and when we travel.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Wife drinks tea, I drink coffee. I compromise and carry an electric pot to boil HW. and use instant coffee. Then we use whatever HW is left for other things.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
You seem to be talking about brewing coffee while traveling, not while camping in your camper, correct?

I agree with all the above responses for camping. I use a hand grinder and aeropress or pour-over when camping.

When actually on the road driving, I'd say it's best to just bring a thermos, like you mentioned. Otherwise, all the above options will be just as fast as a 12V drip coffee maker, the only extra thing being that you'd have to turn on the gas to use the stove burner. So probably a 15-20 minute stop.

I think the fastest way would be something like a backpacking stove (jetboil is great for super fast water boiling) and french press. Pull over, boil the water, pour it in the press then start driving again. This assumes a passenger to handle that stuff since you don't want to drive distracted.

Even though I don't love them, Starbucks are ubiquitous. Darn near every place you stop for gas will have one, or some other local coffee shack with better-than-gas-station-coffee. At least in the west.

Until vehicles come with built-in coffee dispensers (probably not far off and an engineering type could definitely retrofit one onto any current vehicle), you don't really have any fancy new options that I'm aware of.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #13

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Our set up in the trailer is a digital scale to portion the freshly roasted beans, a Hario hand grinder, a Hario pourover kettle, a Melita cone, and a 1 liter thermos carafe. This isn't speedy, but cleans up with very little wasted water and produces an excellent brew. Figure 5 minutes to grind, 5 minutes to boil water on stove while you are grinding, and a 4 minute pour over. Sometimes a 20 minute break will be all you need to refresh yourself for a few hundred more miles. We also carry a Kalita stainless steel cone and filters for when i want a single 16 oz. cup. (coffee is a smidge better than the Melita larger batch)
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Used to bring a french press. Now I make "cowboy" coffee. Measure out 2 coffee cups of water at night. Next morning boil on the stove. Turn off the heat and add two scoops coffee. You know, the scoops that used to come in a can of Maxwell House. Wait a few minutes and pour through a fine mesh into insulated cups.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #15

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
Well it's not electric and I wouldn't attempt brewing a cup while driving but when we were looking for something to replace our french press last year we discovered the AeroPress. There was a long discussion regarding coffee makers on another camping forum I frequent and this was one was mentioned favorably by a number of people. It's simple, compact and makes a really good cup of coffee. Additionally, it works very well in the camper but for on the road you would have to go the thermos route.
Everyone. Get an Aeropress. Don't ever look back. I use one daily except when I'm brewing a larger pot and then I use the Melita pour over. The metal re-usable filter for the Aeropress takes it up one more notch.

I use a Hario on the road but really dislike it. It's the bulbous shaped model. I may get something a little more user-friendly this summer.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
..... a digital scale to portion the freshly roasted beans,
I used to use a scale, but have since gave it up to use a scoop to measure the beans, which is reasonably accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Used to bring a french press. Now I make "cowboy" coffee. Measure out 2 coffee cups of water at night. Next morning boil on the stove. Turn off the heat and add two scoops coffee. You know, the scoops that used to come in a can of Maxwell House. Wait a few minutes and pour through a fine mesh into insulated cups.
Sounds like a good method for Cowboy Coffee, which done properly can produce a very nice cup. Well, except for the reference to a can of Maxwell House, that is. The worst thing you can do is to boil the water with the grounds in it, and over extract the bitterness out of the coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDunbar View Post
I use a Hario on the road but really dislike it. It's the bulbous shaped model. I may get something a little more user-friendly this summer.
I used to use a Porlex, which actually did a decent job on the grind, it was just a PITA to use. I can't say enough about the OE Lido 3. The grind is very consistent, and the ease with which it works is fantastic. It is a little bigger and heavier, and costs more, but for us, is well worth the trouble to bring along. It is one of those tools that you really enjoy using, and gives you pride of ownership.
OE Lido 3 Manual Coffee Grinder
Old 01-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #17

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
We have 2 9 cup stainless steel espresso pots, leaded and unleaded. They work quickly on the LPG stove top.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #18

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I prefer instant coffee (Taster's choise Nescaffe brand is the best). Any boiling water source works good to me :-)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I prefer instant coffee (Taster's choise Nescaffe brand is the best). Any boiling water source works good to me :-)
Moderators. Ban this guy!

Oh wait, that's me.

Everyone has every right to do as they please, and quick and easy has its merits.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Guess we must be a dinosore breed as we still use the perculator on the propane stove but we did find out that the drip coffee used no-a-days are too fine for the basket so we use a paper filter inside the basket.
For on the road I will stop at a conveinient store and take my travel mug in...Usually will cost 99 cents for any size cup.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote