Bringing food for a Week - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
CharlynnT: Thanks for a ready made menu I will print this out and adapt to our taste but the key to whole thing is a good cooler I guess and will pick one up regardless of what the wife says about its bulkyness.
Tell me do you all store these coolers outside when you get to your destination?
Hey, Gerry

Yes, we usually have a cooler or two outside where they become "coffee tables." Pull them in at night (bears) and stack 'em up in the "hallway."

Old 06-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 79 Apache Roamer (Trying to Buy an 'Egg')
Last year 5 of us (3 adults and 2 kids) went out to the Burningman Festival for 10 days in the Black Rock Desert, where there are NO stores to buy food and you can't really go in and out of the Event to drive all over and look for a store (Reno is 130 miles away) Basically we had to bring all of our food and water. On top of that, our dometic fridge only works on electricity, and there wasn't any. We basically had to use it as an icebox all week-and out there it gets around 95 every day (or hotter) with little or no shade.

We bought one of those 5 day coolers for the trip (we already had an old Coleman) and bought a 24 pack of bottled water and 3 of those gallon jugs of bottled water and put them all in our home freezer for a couple of days. We took them out after they were frozen solid and used them to keep everything cold. It was nice because the food didn't get all wet and soggy floating around in melted ice water. The frozen waterbottles also stayed frozen a lot longer than ice cubes would have, and when the water in them was pretty much melted we still had a nice cold bottle of water to drink. We used about 4 or 5 of the smaller bottles in the door racks of our "icebox" to keep the milk and butter and cheese and fresh fruit cold and put the rest of them in our 5 day cooler to keep the perishable foods cold. We only opened the 5 day cooler full of perishable foods once or twice a day and transfered the next day's meals and drinks into the less insulated cooler (that we were in an out of all day) in the evenings after it had cooled down. Every day the icebox frozen bottles of water thawed out a little, so we could drink cold ice water all day long.

We also pre-cooked our meals for the most part and then froze them all along with the water. Since they were in the Coleman the day we were going to eat them, they weren't frozen rock-hard (some were even thawed) when we cooked them, which helped out a lot because we only had one bottle of propane to cook with for the 10 days.

The perishable foods lasted pretty well in the 5 day cooler for about 7 days since we pretty much only opened that cooler once a day. We also brought along a little tent to store it in so it wouldn't be in the direct sunlight all day long, and put that tent up where it would be in the shade of our camper all afternoon.

Some really great meals don't even need to be kept cold. Betty Crocker has these great boxed meals with canned "Chicken n Dumplings" and "Chili and Cornbread" in the grocery aisle near the Hamburger Helper. One or two of our end of the week meals included "Mung" made with Past-Roni and canned chicken. There is also a type of meal called "Tastee Bites" (I find it in the "Cultural foods" aisle ofthe grocery store) which is a full meal in a metallic pouch that doesn't need to be refrigerated. When you are ready to eat it you can just put it out in the sun on your table and it will be warm for lunch (warning-some of those meals are pretty spicy since I think they are prepared and packaged as Indian Cuisine for the most part!) I also prefer canned fruits and vegetables for camping-it is too hard to steam fresh or frozen vegies out in the desert. We tend to be pretty lazy since we don't want to spend all of our vacation time cooking!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
There is also a type of meal called "Tastee Bites" (I find it in the "Cultural foods" aisle of the grocery store) which is a full meal in a metallic pouch that doesn't need to be refrigerated.
We LOVE Tastee Bites! Too bad they cost so much, but they're so delicious, and so convenient - great for camping! One of our favorites is the Bombay potatoes.

Jeanne
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: Eriba Triton now - ex U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
Several of the guys in my Land Rover club have the Engel/ARB portable coolers. They run off 12 volts but they have a very low current draw and will run off a deep cycle battery for a week. They will almost run off a mid sized solar panel. These aren't those electric coolers that Coleman and others sell for around $200 - they cost around $600-$700 but they are extensively used on expeditions in South Africa and Australia. They will freeze water even in 90 degree weather. I'm considering replacing the 3-way fridge in my Boler with one of these if I can't get the Dometic working right.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Several of the guys in my Land Rover club have the Engel/ARB portable coolers. They run off 12 volts but they have a very low current draw and will run off a deep cycle battery for a week. They will almost run off a mid sized solar panel. These aren't those electric coolers that Coleman and others sell for around $200 - they cost around $600-$700 but they are extensively used on expeditions in South Africa and Australia. They will freeze water even in 90 degree weather. I'm considering replacing the 3-way fridge in my Boler with one of these if I can't get the Dometic working right.
Jack,

I'm intrigued...I looked up these Engel/ARB's and they look really great! How are you thinking of installing it in your Boler? It seems to sit with a lift up lid like a traditional cooler. Can it sit on it's side like a refer? Tell me more!!!

Sharon
Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 AM   #20

Trailer: 73 Boler and 76 Surfside
just in case you need to know what can be really interesting. just do a google for half safe
. Its a totally unbelievabls thing. Its bad enough to pay what we do for fuel, but what about a hurricane? lovely honeymoon. and if you read the book, you'll find a valve job in the middle of the Atlantic too. So just pick up a deli chicken and have fun, lol

Old 06-29-2007, 05:41 AM   #21

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
We bought one of those 5 day
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wife is on her last night of work and I told her to get some sleep this morning as the afternoon we will be going shopping for a new cooler and a few needed food items so we can on the road at a reasonable hour tomorrow.
Being an early riser, as I am, it is hard just waiting for her to wake up when I am all packed and ready to go.
When the wife said OK to a new cooler she mentioned something about the type of cooler that plugs into your car cigi lighter?
Is this something that I should consider?
We also use old plastic milk and water jugs as frozen ice blocks and even on day trips alwayse have a frozen bottle or 2 to drink during the day as they melt.
As stated in my first entry, the days of eating 5 days of meals, out of a small container, while out hikeing the Appalachian Trail, are behind me and I want real meat and potatos and greens for supper
Gerry the Canoebuilder
OH Ya..................Danny What are you babbling bout??????? Go to yur room now!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
just in case you need to know what can be really interesting. just do a google for half safe
. Its a totally unbelievabls thing. Its bad enough to pay what we do for fuel, but what about a hurricane? lovely honeymoon. and if you read the book, you'll find a valve job in the middle of the Atlantic too. So just pick up a deli chicken and have fun, lol

HuH?????
Old 06-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
Lot's of good ideas here, thanks. We're never near shore power, so anything needing refrigeration has to be used up in a day or so.

I have one to add - boxed milk, needs no refrigeration til opened, comes in lunchbox size cartons, we get it at King Soopers. Ultrapasteurized? or maybe irradiated? Anyway, it's nice to have real milk, whether in the tea or for the granddaughter to drink.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #24

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Just did a google search on Tastee/Tasty Bites - and they ship to Alaska! (Grocery selection is really boring here on the Kenai Peninsula) Hmm, my daughter and I are going Outside (lower 48) next month to visit family. Maybe I can find some down there and fill up my suitcase!

Actually, Spam tastes pretty good when cooked in an "egg"...
Old 06-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #25

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
If you're using portable coolers. Don't BUY ice. Fill several cardboard type milk cartons or 2 litre plastic pop bottles with water and put in freezer for a couple of days. Remember to leave an inch or so of space at the top for expansion. Pre-cool you"re coolers and the ice will last longer and when melted you still have HOME water you can trust.
Jim
Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: Eriba Triton now - ex U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
Quote:
Jack,

I'm intrigued...I looked up these Engel/ARB's and they look really great! How are you thinking of installing it in your Boler? It seems to sit with a lift up lid like a traditional cooler. Can it sit on it's side like a refer? Tell me more!!!

Sharon
I was thinking that if I can't get my three-way Dometic very thoroughly cleaned and working properly I might try to fit one of the Engels in. I'd have to mount it on a slide out tray and enlarge the opening in the cabinet because they have to be oriented with the opening up. Engel makes a very secure mounting plate that these clip in to when they are being carried in the back of a truck. I was thinking of a plywood platform mounted on some heavy duty roller bearing drawer slides where the cooler would slide out of the existing cabinet far enough to open the lid. I'd mount it lengthwise in the cabinet. It would probably extend just about to the far edge of the cabinet door to the left of the existing fridge.

I need to do some measuring but I'm pretty sure one of the Engel 45's would easily fit. You can carry enough food for two people for a week in one of those. I'd rather buy one of these that I could also carry with me in the truck when I'm just going for a weekend with a tent too.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #27

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
I have one to add - boxed milk, needs no refrigeration til opened, comes in lunchbox size cartons, we get it at King Soopers. Ultrapasteurized? or maybe irradiated? Anyway, it's nice to have real milk, whether in the tea or for the granddaughter to drink.
Aseptic packaging works by creating an sealed, no-oxygen environment so that bacteria can't grow -- most producers ultrapasteurize. I haven't heard of any company irradiating aseptic milk, but anything's possible, unfortunately. Parmalat is the first company to retail boxed milk in the US, and it's at many grocery stores. Around Boston, there's an organic option by a company called Horizon. I don't remember the specs on the milk, but it tastes good and comes in convenient 8 oz. sizes. The packaging material is not very green -- hard to separate the cardboard from the foil liner, apparently, but that's my only gripe with the stuff. It beats the heck out of powdered or canned milk!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #28

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I've used Box Milk for years.Its the best of all alternatives that i know of.Used 2 boxes this week end.