British FG trailer.... Loooovely! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #41

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
looks like the south end of a north bound pitbull.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #42

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As stated in an early post it is very common in the UK for items to have a sticker price in Pounds that is the same as the sticker price in the US$. CD in London might have a sticker price of 10 pounds but in the US the same CD is priced at 10 US dollars. Very common to see on electronics as well, although things have gotten a bit better of late.
That means that stuff in the UK is really expensive. That is okay if they are also really well paid: then a person earning 90,00 Pounds/year could buy a 18,000 Pound trailer as easily as a person earning US$90,000/year could buy a US$18,000 trailer (or a Canadian earning C$90,000/year could buy a C$18,000 trailer)... 1/5th of their annual income either way. Do the Brits really rake in the cash at that rate (56% higher paid than in the U.S.)?

I think the trailer is just expensive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
.....a person earning 90,00 Pounds/year could buy a 18,000 Pound trailer .......
I hate to bring towing safety into this, but there are few British cars that can tow a 18,000 pound trailer.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I hate to bring towing safety into this, but there are few British cars that can tow a 18,000 pound trailer.
Oh, I don't know about that...what does Basil Fawlty drive?

PART ONE: BASIL GOES CAMPING
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #45
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
That means that stuff in the UK is really expensive. That is okay if they are also really well paid: then a person earning 90,00 Pounds/year could buy a 18,000 Pound trailer as easily as a person earning US$90,000/year could buy a US$18,000 trailer (or a Canadian earning C$90,000/year could buy a C$18,000 trailer)... 1/5th of their annual income either way. Do the Brits really rake in the cash at that rate (56% higher paid than in the U.S.)?

Generally, folks in the UK make less and have a lower purchasing power than folks in the US. See this source for a good comparison: Cost Of Living Comparison Between United States And United Kingdom

One thing to remember though, healthcare (medical and most dental) is publicly funded in the UK.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #46

Registry
BASIL, PART TWO: LATER THAT DAY:
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Brain stuff in the UK is expensive! Anyone that lives there then comes to the US or Canada to shop will tell you that. As far as wages go all I can say is that having worked for a multinational company and I am aware that salaries paid to one party in NA vs one in the UK both doing the same job were different. If one was asked to transfer from NA to one of our UK offices you would get a big raise - not because the job you would be doing was any different but due to the cost of living. Sorry I dont recall what the average % of higher pay was but perhaps if one looks a minimum wages that may give a clue. In the USA min wage if I am not mistaken is US$7.25 per hour in the UK its 6.31 pound sterling an hour which is equal to US$9.81 per hour.

Your right though the trailer is a tad on the expensive side for its size & competition.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Brain stuff in the UK is expensive!
No kidding...is that because it's rare, or what?

Francesca
Old 05-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
One thing to remember though, healthcare (medical and most dental) is publicly funded in the UK.

If I am not mistaken the average joe in the UK doesn't have publicly funded dental care. The average Joe pays the full tab on dental unless they have a private plan through their employer just like we do here in Canada. The UK does though have a national program that allows children and people living below a certain means to get work done at a reduced rate but as I understand it most/many dentists will not work on patents using that program.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #50

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Your right. Looking at the teak floors got me thinking - I am contemplating a new floor in my trailer... hummm.
Fake Teak...looks good to us!!

Greetings Carol,
Cari & I have contemplated installing Fake Teak flooring...it is the rage in marine restorations and used in such rigs as the XPCamper (interior shots showing fake teak flooring). If you do a google you will find about half-dozen manufacturers of plastic-teak that is ideal for our egg-floors. Here are two links for your reading pleasure

PlasDECK

Nu Teak

There are several color combinations...we are pondering which one for our Parkliner. . . for now, we are leaning toward this one...and have samples on the way.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #51
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
If I am not mistaken the average joe in the UK doesn't have publicly funded dental care. The average Joe pays the full tab on dental unless they have a private plan through their employer just like we do here in Canada. The UK does though have a national program that allows children and people living below a certain means to get work done at a reduced rate but as I understand it most/many dentists will not work on patents using that program.
Thanks for the clarification. I recall needing dental work while on a trip to the UK many years ago. The dentist told us "no charge" and that it was all covered by the national health....but that was many years ago. It must have changed in the many intervening years.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #52

Registry
Thom those products look very interesting! thanks for sharing.

GP your correct at one point they did have a nationally funded dental plan but will not embarrass anyone as to how far back it was :-) perhaps you were a child/youth at the time?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #53

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
As far as wages go all I can say is that having worked for a multinational company and I am aware that salaries paid to one party in NA vs one in the UK both doing the same job were different. If one was asked to transfer from NA to one of our UK offices you would get a big raise - not because the job you would be doing was any different but due to the cost of living. .
Of course, it depend in where you are in the US. My little town has a median family income of $106,000, while (to pull a city out of thin air) Little Rock, Arkansas has a median family income of about $47,000.

So, I could move to Little Rock and enjoy a really nice retirement.... Until I actually needed to find a job that paid as well as they do here at home.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #54

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

Techie humour... priceless, even in Pounds Sterling..
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #55

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Generally, folks in the UK make less and have a lower purchasing power than folks in the US. See this source for a good comparison: Cost Of Living Comparison Between United States And United Kingdom
GP: Reading this thread I agreed with most re the cost of living in UK vs US/Cda but kept thinking since we like to watch UK real estate shows how can people afford to live over there when real estate is so dear (that's brit for expensive). That US/UK comparison chart really reflects this - look at price to buy an apartment in the UK, about 150% more than in the US!

Perhaps that's why they might want to have a nice little caravan for what is comparable to $US30,000, so that if living in a not-as-nice apartment they can go to a caravan park by the ocean and enjoy a holiday in a very nice caravan

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #56

Registry
Quote:
That US/UK comparison chart really reflects this - look at price to buy an apartment in the UK, about 150% more than in the US!

Perhaps that's why they might want to have a nice little caravan for what is comparable to $US30,000, so that if living in a not-as-nice apartment they can go to a caravan park by the ocean and enjoy a holiday in a very nice caravan

Adrian
Sounds a bit like when we here in Vancouver watch those real estate shows and see what we could buy in prairie provinces of Canada & most of the US Leaves one gobsmacked at times. Perhaps the above is a good explanation as well for why so many of us from this area like the Escape trailers.