Broken Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Sorry to say that our eggzactlyrite4us Casita is critical and needs all theKings Men to him back together again..The tug, ole Chevy will be a donor for GMs that need parts.

On Hwy 93, a 2 lane in the middle of nowhere Nevada, it appeared that approaching traffic was trying to pass so I edged to the right a little...wrong...the front tire dropped off the asphalt and almost had (125 yds per NHP) and it appears that the trailer breakaway wire snagged something and locked the trailer brakes.

We rolled twice, the cab roof had to be cut off to get Nancie out and they got me out through the windshield after CUTTING OFF OUR SEAT BELTS!!!!! With out them, we would NOT have survived.

We've got injuries, nothing major or broken and each of us now knows what 'seat belt' rash is but it's a whole lot better than the alternative!

P L E A S E WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS ALWAYS!!!!! Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ChuckCrash.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	8464

horsefolk
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Wow... Chuck... glad there were no major injuries! Thanks for the reality check on seatbelts!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The main thing is that you guys are safe and alive.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
WOW!! SO VERY happy you two survived with as little injurys as you have. Also sorry to hear of the demize of the truck n trailer!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

Yes, we are ALL glad your egg is cracked and not your noggins!

Thats sad.. it was almost brand new, wasn't it???
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Man !!!! I'll bet that was one heck of a ride !!

I'm into exciting trips, but I'm glad I wasn't on that one !

Sorry you had to go through that, ... Glad you're OK.

I'd like to get hold of your Casita to do the rebuild, .... but I'm afraid you're too far from Kentucky.

I hope you'll get a new setup real soon, and get back into Casita life. We'll be watching !
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thank heaven you are both OK with only minor (and no doubt colorful) bruises & scrapes! We, too, are sorry you had to experience this, and hope you will soon be 'made whole' via insurance and back to camping again. Perhaps our travel pahs will cross in the future.

"US93 in nowhere NV" ... we know it well, having traveled it MANY times in the course of D's insurance work. It can be a scary bit of road, even in good weather. And yes, thank you for another reminder that seat belts work in most cases. Our GeezerMobile doesn't even start up until everyone is buckled in! Take good care, L 'n D
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #8

Thanks for kind words from all!
Let me say that the people of "nowhere" Nevada, the town was actually Caliente, were the nicest, most caring, talented and helpful folks we have ever run into. Everyone we ran into could not do enough to help. Not just one or two, the whole town. If you ever have the opportunity to go through Caliente, STOP, enjoy a meal at the Brandin Iron, stop at the hardware store for that 'can't seem to find it anywhere' part, check out the old depot and just RELAX!
horsefolk
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Thanks for kind words from all!
Let me say that the people of "nowhere" Nevada, the town was actually Caliente, were the nicest, most caring, talented and helpful folks we have ever run into. Everyone we ran into could not do enough to help. Not just one or two, the whole town. If you ever have the opportunity to go through Caliente, STOP, enjoy a meal at the Brandin Iron, stop at the hardware store for that 'can't seem to find it anywhere' part, check out the old depot and just RELAX!
horsefolk
I have a friend who moved to Caliente, NV and has been there for a 4-5 years now. We went up to his wedding last year. It's a great litle town. Before we had the scamp, we had to find a motel in Eljin,NV (25 miles south of Caliente) The road was nearly washed out and evenwashed out railroad track and derailed a freight train. Quite a sight. Especially when we saw it at night. Here's to Jim and Holly G. from Caliente.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We are very sorry to hear about your accident but glad that neither of you was seriously hurt. Get well soon!

Keep us informed on how you are doing.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you,

Ted & Priscilla
Ted Tuchsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I am so glad the two of you are alright. Vehicles can be repaired/replaced. People cannot. A story from our little local paper, with similarities to your story:

This week in a neighboring town, three 16 and 17-year-olds were on their way home over country roads, all wearing seatbelts, no drinking or drugs involved, but possibly doing 60mph instead of 55mph when they veered a little to the right because traffic was coming towards them. Their right wheel(s) went onto the shoulder and rather than slowing to a stop, the driver turned the car to the left to get back on the road, flipped the car, I think, multiple times. Two of the kids were killed, driver is in critical condition.

Again, so glad you're okay.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
wow! what a frighting ordeal.. glad to hear your ok !! An angel was watching over you for sure!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I'm so glad you two survived without worse injury! That picture made the hair stand up on my arms!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I just joined the forum today and don't know anyone but just wanted to say 'glad to see you both got out without serious injuries!!!!!
AprilL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #15

Thanks to all the GREAT folks on this forum for all the kind wishes and prayers. They were received at a time they were really needed and helped considerably!
We've bought a new (to us) truck to replace 'ole chevy' and we'll call it 'reincarnation'! It's a 12 year newer model Chevy of what we had down to the white color and camper shell. Should also be picking up our new(also new to us) Casita in about a week. Couldn't miss the Lake Casita Rally now could we???
Thanks and blessings to you all!
Nancie n Chuck Hajek

Tags
eggcamper