Brown Christmas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: 19' 2002 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Diane R.
Brown Christmas

Without much if any snow in my Wisconsin area, I am dreaming of camping quite a bit. It is even hard to realize what the calendar actually says...instead of December it seems like March! My hubby and I are tied to the work world, so traveling south for a while isn't in the plans. So, I spend time reading posts from those who are camping now, and look forward to spring! It will be here before I know it!
Diane R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I know the feeling Diane. Being a Wisconsinite myself I have been doing a lot of daydreaming lately. I can't just head south either as I pretty much burned up all my vacation time camping over the spring, summer, and fall I was so thinking about heading to Arizona at the end of Jan. to check out that big camping expo but not sure if I can do a trip like that in just a week. I want Spring to get here.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Just wait, the snow will be there before you know it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Our trip to Florida next week is being accomplished ONLY because there is no snow yet in the Chicago area. I'm sure that we wouldn't have even considered uncovering the trailer if we had a foot or more of snow on the ground. The brown winter thus far is giving us an opportunity to use the trailer at a time of year never before considered. Our previous "winter" camping has been in March to South Dakota (Pine Ridge Indian Reservation) and we often dodged snowstorms. And they have BIG ones out there!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The lake I live on in western Wisconsin finally froze over last night . Two days ago the lake was full of swans and geese (too many to count) swimming . The snow is pretty well gone and all I see when looking outside is a layer of brown leaves.
According to the weatherman it looks like we won't have a white Christmas this year!
I kind of miss the winters of my youth , the cold, the snow , the howling winds the hot cocoa to warm up with .
I guess I'm just getting old

Merry Christmas
Steve Dunham
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I feel so blessed to have a brown Christmas. I am finally beginning to actually believe in global warming a little. Yes, the winters used to be colder but I am not complaining----------yet. Winter won't seem so long this year. Only 4 more months until camping season starts in Mn again.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I feel so blessed to have a brown Christmas. I am finally beginning to actually believe in global warming a little. Yes, the winters used to be colder but I am not complaining----------yet. Winter won't seem so long this year. Only 4 more months until camping season starts in Mn again.
Be patient, Winter is only 2 DAYS OLD! It will be deadly miserable with blizzards and freezing weather soon enough. In fact I kinda wonder if it will be physically possible to leave for Florida the first week of February.
If I were you I would still put that survival kit in your SUV!

In Chicagoland 1972 , the second week of February the temperature hit 70 degrees then went straight into spring!
Don't worry , I've got the inside scoop....
As long as the earth abides there will be seed time and harvest.
Merry Christmas!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Be patient, Winter is only 2 DAYS OLD! It will be deadly miserable with blizzards and freezing weather soon enough. In fact I kinda wonder if it will be physically possible to leave for Florida the first week of February.
If I were you I would still put that survival kit in your SUV!

In Chicagoland 1972 , the second week of February the temperature hit 70 degrees then went straight into spring!
Don't worry , I've got the inside scoop....
As long as the earth abides there will be seed time and harvest.
Merry Christmas!
Boy, I"m glad I don't have to wait that long. Two weeks, if I can get over the passes, we'll be headed for Death Valley.

Next year we'll leave at the end of November.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Boy, I"m glad I don't have to wait that long. Two weeks, if I can get over the passes, we'll be headed for Death Valley.

Ya know.... When we are home, we hear the call of the road, and would love to stay gone longer, But when we are on the road we soon long for home and hearth!
I hope to go for a couple of months all at once someday, but for now it seems 3 weeks is about the limit.
At least we can go several times a year in all different directions.
Have a happy trip, with "just enough" adventure along the way!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The grass always seems greener on the other side. Especially when your side is brown.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We're having a green & brown Christmas by choice as well as a G & B winter here in AZ. We'll go back to MI in April.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Temperatures

One day last week at 8:00 AM it was 29 deg F in northern Wisconsin and it was 39 deg F in Dallas Texas ( approx 1100 miles due south) I guess the grass is not always that much greener on the other side of the fence .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
WE are definitely having a brown & green Christmas here in Oswego, NY. Only around 1" of snow for the season; it isn't unusual to have 40"-50" by now. It was 42°F at 2:00 today - it just isn't natural!

Still, it does give me some time to work on the trailer. I'm just about finished adding a Xantrex Prowatt SW 1000 inverter. It is interesting working with #0 cable. Reminds me of tapping dimmer boards back in my working days.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Talking

-17C with a wind chill of -25C. sunny and bright. 10 cms (about 3 inches give or take) of beautiful white snow freshly fallen......a wonderful Christmas day......

okay.....now that Christmas day has settled into darkness, it's time for this snow to melt, the air temps to start to warm up and let's get camping!!!!!! that's plenty of winter for me!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink The grass is greener on MY side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The grass always seems greener on the other side. Especially when your side is brown.
Winter is the only time of year that our grass is green! In April it will turn from lush green to bare dirt brown within 2 weeks.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... The topic at the Barbershop one day was about fertilizing the grass!!! I piped in and said "all I do is walk across the street and turn around". "What good does that do" said one of the guys? I replied "Everyone knows the grass is always greener on the other side of the street"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... The topic at the Barbershop one day was about fertilizing the grass!!! I piped in and said "all I do is walk across the street and turn around". "What good does that do" said one of the guys? I replied "Everyone knows the grass is always greener on the other side of the street"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

hahahahahaha
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
You know its a weird winter when its +5C (about 41f) up here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Not quite a green Christmas but its a brown one for sure.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Byron was there for US Thanksgiving. Make sure you do the tour of Scottys castle - the underground one if you have not done it! What they came up with to keep the place with elecrical and cooled will amaze you!

Came through Grants pass on the 21st and only saw snow at the very highest part and it wasnt on the road. Have a safe trip.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #20

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
It snowed here in Northnern Wisconsin on the 23rd. We had snow on the ground for Christmas but now it is all gone again. So weird but I am not complaining, I hate snow.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote