Brrr... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Brrr...

I woke up this morning to a clear sky and mid 40* temps. The forecast for tonight calls for temps dipping into the 30's and a frost warning. I see my friends in Dallas are still experiencing highs in the 90's. I'd like to trade some of our cool for some of their hot. I think a compromise of 75* would work just fine. On the positive side, the grass will stop growing and won't need to be mowed and I can start planning my November trip south. Where will it be this year? Hmmm... I'll ponder that and think 'warm'.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'd go for your compromise, Barrie. Appreciate the thought!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I'd go for your compromise, Barrie. Appreciate the thought!
I spent a week in Dallas in April and it was already in the mid 80's. My friend operates his business in a metal building without air conditioning; I don't know how he does it. I've watched your temps all summer. I don't know how you survive it. When it hits 80 here it's sweltering.
Barrie
Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd rather have frost than 12" of rain we had here the past 3 days!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
After two years in the S.W. Texas desert I realize again that you can always put more clothes on but you can only take off so many. Next stop Williston, ND. or anywhere in Alaska.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #6

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I woke up this morning to a clear sky and mid 40* temps. The forecast for tonight calls for temps dipping into the 30's and a frost warning. (...)
I hope you have the heater option into your RV...
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The strange weather abounds... we had severe thunderstorm here is south Los Angeles Co.

We started hearing thunder, it started raining and the weather radio started squawking. We were still in bed enjoying the cool after our 100 degrees of earlier in the week. I jumped up and threw some sweats and a hoodie on, ran out to the trailer and started closing windows. Came back in and ran out back to pick up some power tools that we had left out. It NEVER rains in September!

I am enjoying the cool!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hey Barrie,
Have you considered heading west instead of south? It's at least 25 degrees (or about 77 USA degrees) today in Victoria. And you wouldn't have to worry about that pesky medical insurance
Phil
Old 09-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #9

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the suggestion but... I usually head south in mid November and to get to Lotusland, I would have to drive through the prairies, which could be very cold by then, then cross the Rockies, to get to the rain on the wet coast. When I leave New Brunswick and head south my spirits are constantly being raised as the temperatures rise with each mile. I have supplemental health insurance that covers me for international travel. I have also made friends in Georgia and Florida that welcome me when I show up. Mind you, last year I had nighttime temps in the 30's all the way to Richmond, VA.; thank goodness for the furnace.
Barrie
Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Barrie,
Sounds like a good plan. Lucky you to have that med insurance. We've got "extended benefits" with my pension but it doesn't cover out-of-province And, I'll let you in on a little secret. Even we wet-coasters start California dreamin' come November.
Phil
p.s. how many months do you stay down south?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Canadian Medical Insurance for out of the country travel is interesting. I understand the price increass dramatically with age.

Our every month Medicare covers us for two months of out of country travel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Barrie,
Sounds like a good plan. Lucky you to have that med insurance. We've got "extended benefits" with my pension but it doesn't cover out-of-province And, I'll let you in on a little secret. Even we wet-coasters start California dreamin' come November.
Phil
p.s. how many months do you stay down south?
I retired early and have been able to keep my corporate coverage by paying the small monthly premium; great coverage, including dental and prescriptions.
I don't go south for months at a time but travel when the mood strikes me. When the cold weather gets to me and I have a weather window I leave. Often I'm prompted by an invitation. I stay as long as the weather holds. If the forecast where I am turns cool or wet, I head for home. I don't tow in the snow so I have to time my travel when the roads are clear. I live near the Woodstock, NB/Houlton, ME border, the northern end of the I-95, so fairly clear interstate driving is close at hand. I have been tempted to leave the trailer at a friend's place in Georgia for the winter and may do that this year and just drive the tug back and forth.
Barrie
Old 09-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
Norm and Ginny
Yes, we Canadians have great medical coverage at home, but it would only pay for a fraction of the costs of getting sick in the US. That forces most of us to buy some sort of travel insurance to go south and, yes, not only does it get more expensive after age 60 (and increase regularly thereafter) but it can increase dramatically if you have any conditions--even some fairly minor ones
But you know what? It's worth the price for those warm US winters
Phil
Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Barrie,
We were up your way last fall, and the temps were quite cold. However, the scenery, and the solitude, where ever we could find a campground open, were well worth the time (and the propane for the heater at night!)
What a beautiful province you live in!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
Barrie,
We were up your way last fall, and the temps were quite cold. However, the scenery, and the solitude, where ever we could find a campground open, were well worth the time (and the propane for the heater at night!)
What a beautiful province you live in!
Sherry
Thanks Sherry. Yes, I love it here....most of the time.. When I first moved here I couldn't believe how cold it could get here in the winter. It's great to be able to get away to recharge the batteries in a warmer place.
Barrie