Bubba has posted a new Nest by Airstream video - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
A new Nest by Airstream video

I think it may be time for a fresh thread. Maybe not.

A dealer in Tennessee has a new video of the Nest interior. By this time tomorrow there should be a splash from the manufacturer.

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Lookin' good.

Kinda surprised it was done before Airstream's official release.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I got rather impatient with "Bubba..."

I'm with you, Jim- I wonder if there's going to be some trouble with Airstream over this sneak preview. Dealer contracts are quite specific about things like this.

I'll look forward to seeing the alternate layout, which I believe includes a permanent bed and separate dinette. What does it give up, I wonder?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Looks like they stole my couch /bed design!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Oh...quite nice! THANKS for that video!

I wonder:
Overall weight, tongue weight, interior color options, other options such as heater and A/C, and above all, price?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Kai
Old 04-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

Denver, CO
Seems to me one of them has a small desk near the back entry. Maybe it replaces some closet. We'll see.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I wonder:
Overall weight, tongue weight, interior color options, other options such as heater and A/C, and above all, price?
Can't speak to most of that, but price should be in the area of 47K, depending on options/configuration.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Can't watch. Making me nauseous.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #9

Registry
Hey, Glenn, It is a little wiggly-windy, isn't it!? Made me nauseous because we'll likely never be able to manage it, as I'm sure it's a bit too heavy for us (price and weight both). I don't love shopping too far out of my league!

Thanks, rbryan--seems like an accurate ballpark. Was gonna say, "good ballpark" but not so good for the likes of us. Real nice-looking trailer inside. Sure the outside is real nice, too.

BEST
Kai
Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #10

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Looks nice, really like some of the features.

Full window on door,
Nice wetbath, large window, nice spot for the TP and other stuff.
Large skylight,
Very large fridge.

The dinette table folds out from underneath, that makes more since, but means the full size table is on the small side. But should be a nice size for most people.

For a trailer that comes across as a show peace to entertain, the choice to have open overhead storage is odd. Would have liked to have seen doors.

I am sure there is storage under the seats, but storage does seem limited. It is a 16' so you can't expect much, but the choice to go with a larger wetbath and larger fridge takes up some of the space. Would be much easier to tell in person.

Having to put up the dinette every day will be a deal breaker for many.

From that video, overall the windows seem really small for the space. Perhaps I am just used to much larger windows in Airstreams.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #11

Registry
1500 -- good reality check. I was mentally ticking off all the things I wouldn't want or would want different...you make good points. Thanks! I feel so much better about not being able to afford it now...

Now that I realize I didn't want it anyway!

Is there an emoji for "sour grapes?"

BEST,
Kai
Old 04-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #12

Denver, CO
Robert what is your basis for $47k price? Yes, I saw 2 posted at that price. But I also can show you a handful of articles, some less than a year ago pegging the base price around $30,000, which I agree may have moved up a bit. I doubt it has moved up over $17,000, or 57%. I expect they are selling some fully loaded models because of initial demand.

For another $20,000 I guess you could buy an Oliver.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #13

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Robert what is your basis for $47k price? Yes, I saw 2 posted at that price. But I also can show you a handful of articles, some less than a year ago pegging the base price around $30,000, which I agree may have moved up a bit. I doubt it has moved up over $17,000, or 57%. I expect they are selling some fully loaded models because of initial demand.

For another $20,000 I guess you could buy an Oliver.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.
If the $47k price is right (like you said, find out tomorrow), that is the same price as Oliver Legacy Elite. But the Oliver is 2'5" longer. It is also more than twice the price of the 17' Escape.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
I suspect the $47K advertised dealer price is well-padded with options, dealer-installed "extras", doc fees, and other mark-ups. That's how it works.

I agree with Tom- there probably won't be a lot of negotiating for early buyers, but for those willing to wait a year or two, buy end-of-season lot queens, shop multiple dealers, and negotiate assertively, you can probably do much better. You just won't be the first one in the campground.

Sooner or later- I'm guessing sooner- used Nests will hit the market as well. Airstream's marketing power and dealer network will bring people into contact with the Nest who might never have seen or considered a smaller fiberglass trailer. Ready financing leads to impulse purchases, and I can see people deciding after one trip that it's just too small. Several consecutive days of bad weather could do it...

This has been a really interesting project right from the beginning, and I look forward to seeing how it plays out over the next few years.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #15

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I suspect the $47K advertised dealer price is well-padded with options

Yep... Although even at say 30K or 35K I can't help but think waht if I started with a 17K brand new scamp 16 and then added in 10K worth of upgrades.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
Yep... Although even at say 30K or 35K I can't help but think waht if I started with a 17K brand new scamp 16 and then added in 10K worth of upgrades.
If you think like that, you are probably not in the target demographic!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #17

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
A Scamp is never going to come close to having the same luxury feel as the Nest.

Really the Nest will be competing with the Oliver buyers. Now if the Nest price is 30k, that is a nice bump down in price from an Oliver for a smaller trailer. I would expect though that people would buy the Nest, find it too small for that price, and jump up to an Oliver.

If the Nest ends up the same price as the Oliver. I see it still selling but only because people don't know about Oliver or don't want to wait. And even then they might start looking into others and find the Oliver, and switch over.

As pointed out, being able to finance easily through Airstream will open a lot of peoples wallets. Verses the possibly more hassle of getting a loan for a smaller company product like the Oliver. Banks after all want to know they are going to get their money back.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Looks very nice. It will be interesting to see how it sells. I drove through Jackson Center, Ohio (Airstream factory) Monday. I glanced over and saw 6 or so Nests near the fence. Doesn't look like they are making a large number until the demand can be measured. When I drive by Casita there are usually dozens waiting to be picked up.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #19

Denver, CO
Bear in mind, Casita delivers to buyers from their factory. Nests will be delivered from scores of Airstream dealers, many of whom just received one or two. They won't let go easily, as they want a demonstrator or two to show customers. Aren't there two floorplans?

The dealer guy in TN who posted the early video? ...He may not see any more for a while.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
A Scamp is never going to come close to having the same luxury feel as the Nest.
You never saw Micheal Lake's 16 standard or a tastefully done 16 Deluxe side bath...
Of course "luxury feel" implies actual touch but even "luxury appearance" is pretty subjective. Given the choice I think the custom oak interior of the Scamp is more appealing.
The upholstery on the Nest looks good... but did he say it was vinyl, or was that "luxury vinyl"?

$500, good taste, and moderate skills can go a long ways toward that "Luxury Feel" !

I can buy a Scamp Deluxe with every option and the Tow Vehicle of my choice for the price of a Nest.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote