Bubble burst, but still addicted! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Bubble burst, but still addicted!

So, went and opened up the Lil' Darlin today....... I know I had a couple little leaks, only resealed one window last year, was expecting wet.....but still grrrrrrrrrrr. I forgot to lift the cushions, thank goodness they are vinyl on the bottom, a little mildew. It really was, just a little, not like some of the shocking before pics I have seen on here. Deflated my bubble a bit, then looking at the walls, could see where the water dribbled in, it was dirty, more scrubbing in my future, bubble deflating a little more and then I made the mistake of walking the outside........

I found out last year what a cheap paint job I had when I pulled a window and found out the original color of my trillium. TODAY I found out that cheap paint job was totally covering up a cheap repair.......there is a crack in the "bondo" on my baby! Again, not at all like some of the damage I have seen on here but still. For me, it might as well be. I don't have the money, the space, the time or the knowledge to gut and rebuild like some of you, , so my bubble is totally burst. Anybody in the Edmonton area know where I can take this to get fixed and/or how much it may run? It would have to be a spot repair, as I can't redo the whole thing, I don't even know If I can do a spot repair never mind pay for it!!!!!!????

So even though I'm feeling defeated today I can't stop thinking about how one day I'll strip it right down to the fiberglass, repaint the outside, repaint the inside, new cushions, new fabric, drapes, floor, fridge, fantastic fan, window in the door, shine the chrome, new cupboard doors, hmmmmmm what else? Yeah, you could say I'm a little addicted!
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Well, some members here have done beautiful paint jobs in their driveway/garages. So that may be an option once you patch the crack.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Alberta
Registry
Yes, I have seen some of them - amazing to say the least! I'm totally intimidated, but I'll probably end up giving it a go myself. Right now I'm still feeling like what have I gotten myself into? I got it for what I thought was a great deal, now I'm wondering what else is wrong with it? Oh well, can't do anything about it right now so I'll just keep surfing the threads......trailer envy
Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanna View Post
. Anybody in the Edmonton area know where I can take this to get fixed and/or how much it may run? It would have to be a spot repair, as I can't redo the whole thing, I don't even know If I can do a spot repair never mind pay for it!!!!!!????

So even though I'm feeling defeated today I can't stop thinking about how one day I'll strip it right down to the fiberglass, repaint the outside, repaint the inside, new cushions, new fabric, drapes, floor, fridge, fantastic fan, window in the door, shine the chrome, new cupboard doors, hmmmmmm what else? Yeah, you could say I'm a little addicted!
If you are feeling that you can't do the body repair yourself, I would call Outback in Calgary. In addition to building their own (Trillium) trailers, they do repairs ranging from fixups to complete overhauls of Bolers and Trilliums. I went to their shop last year and saw several Bolers and Trilliums in for repair and renovation, including a Boler that had been completely crushed in the top half of the trailer. I was very impressed by their work that I saw. I am certain it will not be as cheap as doing it yourself, but they are experts and you would at least get a good job done. They were also very friendly and let me wander about for an hour or so even though I wasn’t buying anything from them.

There is an RV service shop in Edmonton that rents Outbacks, called Edmonton RV Service on Argyle Road. However, I don’t know whether they do body repairs.

Good luck,
Rick G in Edmonton
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

Alberta
Registry
Hey, Thanks Rick, long time no chat. I'm pretty sure you were one of the great givers of advice last summer when I was tackling some jobs. I'll look into it and post the info for anyone else who may need it.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I saw the same crushed, (rolled) trailer at Trillium / Outback. It is now almost done, and looks great. I laughed when I saw it and said something like "That has to be garbage". Reese Thoen looked at me and said "Hey! That's my trailer!".

They don't work cheep though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wait a minute Laurie and breathe, breathe. Okay now, let's talk expectations. You have some minor problems, all can be fixed. Are you prepared to have a less than perfect trailer, but one that you can thoroughly enjoy? If so, consider a small repair job that you CAN DIY. We can help you seal the repair so the bondo doesn't crack and fall out. I'm of the mind, make something usable and enjoy it, rather than let it sit... waiting for all the money to roll in and wait and wait, and wait. The one thing you can't get back is time. Consider fixing it and covering it up with a decal! Even a big "ouch" decal that you can buy cheaply on the WWW would allow you to use the trailer without laying out a ton of money.

Consider it... and if it's something that interests you... we're here to provide guidance and information and enthusiasm.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Wait a minute Laurie and breathe, breathe. Okay now, let's talk expectations. You have some minor problems, all can be fixed. Are you prepared to have a less than perfect trailer, but one that you can thoroughly enjoy? If so, consider a small repair job that you CAN DIY. We can help you seal the repair so the bondo doesn't crack and fall out. I'm of the mind, make something usable and enjoy it, rather than let it sit... waiting for all the money to roll in and wait and wait, and wait. The one thing you can't get back is time. Consider fixing it and covering it up with a decal! Even a big "ouch" decal that you can buy cheaply on the WWW would allow you to use the trailer without laying out a ton of money.

Consider it... and if it's something that interests you... we're here to provide guidance and information and enthusiasm.

Hooray! Good to hear from you again! Don't worry, I have no problem with a totally useable yet possibly unsightly baby! You and I are totally of the same mind set! So funny you mentioned the decal thing, I was totally picturing a repair job gone bad (by me) and writing a big OUCH! on it!!!!! If I have to lay out money, I wanted to put it into getting the windows done. Even after I did the small kitchen window myself, I'm still completely intimidated.The front and back are the big ones, quite a bit more complicated although the premise is the same but they are the culprits of the leaks. At the very least I was hoping to get the worst one done, (back - opposite end of the hitch?) as soon as possible and the front maybe by the end of the season. I've always said as long as it is sound and dry I'm good. Still dream of doing the big "gut and redo" like the ones I've seen on here, but if you instruct me on how to seal the crack for now - I think I can go on.......only just.

And just throwing this out there.....if you just want to fix up a trailer, no problem, you can come work on mine.........hahahahahahaha, right, like that's going to happen, as likely as all that money rollin' in, right Donna?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
First Laurie, get it dried out. You don't want rot problems and mold. If you have to, take the cushions into the house. Open the windows, get some fans going (of course only if it's not raining) Water intrusion into a molded trailer should never be delayed maintenance.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Laurie, so sorry to hear that there is more work than you planned. Bad surprize
But take heart that there are many ladies on this forum that have done marvelous work on their eggs, in a DIY mode to save money. A campable egg is much more fun than one sitting in the yard.... good luck !!!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #11

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I agree with all those folks who want you to get it useable and get out there to have some fun. My little burro has lots of problems --- but for the problems that absolutely had to be done, I've fixed them, or in the electrical cases had them fixed. I head out in two days with lots left to do! The rest of the fixes will wait for me. Enjoy your toy!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #12

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
Laurie, I had to perform some pretty serious fiberglass repairs on my Boler door. It's a bit messy, but dreading it was much worse than doing it!! It isn't as hard to do as you might think--just watch some videos, take your time, and relax!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You have a world of expert advice on the web, and if your window leaks and you fix it you will feel great, if the window still leaks you will have had a chance to learn what you need to do different and hey the window was leaking when you started, right?

Might help if you could post a picture of the cracked repair you need to redo.

I have seen some really good paint jobs posted here, done with a small roller and paint by first time DIY. Marine epoxy I think the paint was. And some good patch work also done as first time attempts at FG repair.

Much of the repair type stuff getting a good job depends on careful work and doing a good job of prep work like cleaning rather than massive experience. If you make it better than it was then it's good.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Thank you all for the encouragement. I definitely don't have the funds to have any one do it for me and as Roger said, it's already leaking so what do I have to lose? If I really think about that I'm sure I can come up with something so we won't go there. Free time and weather are not matching up at the moment and for some reason, I can't post pics I have posted before of my Lil' Darlin' so as soon as I get started and figure out the pics I will start a new thread. Thanks again and I may see some of you at Miquelon this weekend!