BUGS!!!!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #15
Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
If nature were the only reason to go, I would still be in a tent, or better yet, a bedroll and a fire.
Obviously, Gina, you're a bit younger than I am. I've been a backpacker, climber, ski mountaineer and wilderness canoeist most of my life. I've been privileged to spend more nights under canvas or nylon or open skies than most folks. But age and arthritis have made tents and a bedroll and any form of sleeping on the ground sheer torture. Try rolling up a wet tent when your arthritic knees and knuckles are screaming.

The UHaul has made it possible for my wife and me to extend our enjoyment of mountains, forests and the natural world for - hopefully - many more years. And I still think kids are better off looking at stars than at pixels. Adults, too.

jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #16
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Not much younger, and I have been there, done that too. I have rolled up more cold wet gear and stuffed it into a large pack than I care to remember myself. At very high elevations. I have iglooed above Timberline on Mount Hood, and snow camped in many a forest on almost a weekly basis.

I grew up in Oregon, where that was a favorite form of recreation. I didn't even stay in established campgrounds until I was in my late 20s. Where my tent was set up involved at least 5 miles of hiking, and often, between 5 and 15.

I have Rheumatoid arthritis too, and know that pain too well, one of the many health reasons for the trailer. You can't stop the progression, you just learn to go with the flow.

One can balance technology and nature. Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #17
Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
This is a good little discussion.
I find that I don't miss TV or DVDs because I change my "body clock" and go to bed at dark and get up at dawn. That's when life is good for walking, reading etc. Then breakfast is the best- at 7AM . No sleep problems at night after that early start.
That's the way we were for millions of years, on the "cave man " time schedule.
Speaking of caveman. I am on the Shangri-La diet by Seth Roberts. The pounds (12) are easily going off in the first 12 days. 30 to go!

shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote