Bunks in a 13' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp's answer

I called the factory to ask the very question. Their verbal answer was 150 pounds. Since nothing is in writing, I figure they haven't done any serious analysis or testing to back it up. So, I guess common sense rules. My Scamp is pretty new, so the ledge under the window appears solid (and, as noted in an earlier post, carries the weight, not the hinge). Another potential vulnerability I have wondered about is the bent carpenter's staple that is welded to the upright and catches the screw to support the front edge. Has anyone had any experience with failures there?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I called the factory to ask the very question. Their verbal answer was 150 pounds. Since nothing is in writing, I figure they haven't done any serious analysis or testing to back it up. .....
Well that is the most authoritive source I have heard from. "Scamp says" beat the heck out of "I think I read someplace". Thanks for taking the time to find out.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I called the factory to ask the very question. Their verbal answer was 150 pounds. Since nothing is in writing, I figure they haven't done any serious analysis or testing to back it up. So, I guess common sense rules. My Scamp is pretty new, so the ledge under the window appears solid (and, as noted in an earlier post, carries the weight, not the hinge). Another potential vulnerability I have wondered about is the bent carpenter's staple that is welded to the upright and catches the screw to support the front edge. Has anyone had any experience with failures there?
Glad to hear Scamp was able to give you some weight indications... as said way better than I think I simple read it here! LOL

Re the welded piece on the support post.... well my trailer is a 92 and I know for a fact the couple who had it prior to me (i've had it 6 years) used the bunks all the time. The first two years I had the trailer I had the bunks always up. Now only use it a few times a year... so far no failure of the support post.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #18

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Carol,
When spring finally arrives and you get the trailer open, would you mind sending a picture of the support post you added? Just wondering if it was another Scamp post and receiver, or if you crafted something yourself. Further, I wondered if you put it between the 2 support posts on the outer edge, or in another spot. Thanks a bunch!

CampyTime (Wendy)
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Wendy the post is the same one that Scamp sells (actually got it from them) and just added another of the round chrome base it sits in (same as the original) on the lower fiberglass bench. Just placed it bit closer to the centre of the bunk than the two originals were placed.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp