Burning Man - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Burning Man

any FiberglassRVers go to Burning Man ? The music festival we've always gone to on Labor Day Weekendd will not be happening in 2019, so we're thinking of doing BM instead, at our son's prodding (he lives in Reno and has been going for 5-6 years now, complete with his own 5 ton 6x6 art truck, Stardust).

He's telling us we should setup around 6:00 and G or farther out, thats the quieter part of the camp... His camp is over in the techno zone, 2:30 and E or something.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #2

Name: Dillon
Trailer: Thinking really hard
Texas
Cool

I'm going to agree with him as far as location. Far enough out but not painfully so. Look at the map in relation to the porta potties. Not too far but not next door. Unless you like the sound of slamming fiberglass doors at 3 am.

You do know about Playa Dust, don't you? Once you go to Burning Man you'll have some of BM with you forever. Use a commercial laundramat to wash your clothes, to avoid destroying yours. Get some of the stick down plastic used for construction sites to protect your carpets. Taking down popcorn ceilings is less messy. Bring a pump sprayer and several gallons of vinegar. Load the sprayer with about 1 qt per 5 gallons of water and spray every single exposed surface on the outside after you leave. And use a good car wash to wash everything down.

Oh yeah, unless you're either unemployed (polite word: temporarily retired) or don't have to worry about drug testing keep in mind "what happens at Burning Man shows up in urine tests weeks later".

And that's a nice truck. We've missed it the last couple of years.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I thought Burning Man was already sold out for next year?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #4

Name: Dillon
Trailer: Thinking really hard
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I thought Burning Man was already sold out for next year?

Unless something has suddenly changed tickets aren't on sale yet.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We have friends that go every year, and we are contemplating for next year. They always have a blast, and looking at their photos it certainly looks like great fun. Lots of fantastic art, and your son's art car looks fantastic. They are part of some kind of group that has a section of their own. They can only have so many folks in it by invite of the organzer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpyron View Post
I'm going to agree with him as far as location. Far enough out but not painfully so. Look at the map in relation to the porta potties. Not too far but not next door. Unless you like the sound of slamming fiberglass doors at 3 am.

You do know about Playa Dust, don't you? Once you go to Burning Man you'll have some of BM with you forever. Use a commercial laundramat to wash your clothes, to avoid destroying yours. Get some of the stick down plastic used for construction sites to protect your carpets. Taking down popcorn ceilings is less messy. Bring a pump sprayer and several gallons of vinegar. Load the sprayer with about 1 qt per 5 gallons of water and spray every single exposed surface on the outside after you leave. And use a good car wash to wash everything down.

Oh yeah, unless you're either unemployed (polite word: temporarily retired) or don't have to worry about drug testing keep in mind "what happens at Burning Man shows up in urine tests weeks later".

And that's a nice truck. We've missed it the last couple of years.
There are lots of places outside of Burning Man that leave you with "dust forever". The red dust they call sand at the Monument Valley area or at Canyonlands are examples. I still have some of that red dust in the joints of my camera tripod 5 years after photographing the area. This year I added some to the tailgate hinges of my new truck. Nasty Stuff!

While I've been to the Burning Man area, it wasn't "in season". Out in the middle of no where. I went to photograph the Fly Geyser. Unfortunately, it was before the Burning Man organization bought the ranch, so I could only photograph it from a mile away. They are now taking reservations for tours...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I took my Casita onto the playa mid summer a couple years ago. Now, the 3 days I was there, we didn't have any major dust storms, and I did manage to get all the playa dust off my tacoma + casita, with repeated washings... I put the taco up on ramps so I could do a better job of the undercarriage. I lloved the instructions my kid gave me, go X miles past Gerlach, turn onto the playa, drive past most of the ruts, aim due NE, and drive 35 miles, then home in on this GPS coordinate xxx.xxxxW xx.xxxxN

low and behold, his party of 50-80 folks was there! Fourth of JuPlaya, 2016.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
You are right , tickets will go on sale in the New Year.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/71...k-rock-desert/
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote