Burro MPG's - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
When I towed my "new" Burro 17 home last weekend it was a 500+ mile trip one way. So I decided to check the fuel economy. I towed with a 2008 Highlander (V6). Going 60 mph about 2/3 of the way I got 13.9 mpg. Then the other 1/3 I averaged about 66-67 (wanted to see what change I'd get) and it turned out 12.5 mpg. This was pretty much steady interstate driving, stopping rarely for a rest or food.

I was hoping for 15-16 [at] 60 mph after reading many posts from various boards. Oh well. 14 isn't too bad, I guess... it's better than the 10-11 mpg I averaged with the stick trailer I had before.

Sure, I could do better at 55... or even 50. But time is worth something, too. If it takes forever to get somewhere, that gets tedious (to me).

Floyd, if you can get 24 mpg towing with your Escape like you say.... um, is your Escape going to be for sale any time soon?

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Towing my Burro 17 with an 06 Jeep Liberty 6 banger, 3.7l I get about 17 on the flat, and as low as 13-14 on hills.

I suspect it has more to do with your tug than the Burro, what you have packed in the trailer and car.. etc.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Duh! V-6ers are gas hogs and the reason to have a 13' foot fiberglass trailer is that you can use a 4 cylinder engine car to tow it! I guess I am old now since I remember the 70's and why "foreign" cars became fashionable. It was because they got better gas mileage and still tend to. I'm driving a 1990 brick (Volvo 240 sedan) and I averaged 25 mpg pulling my Scamp from Northern California to Southeast Arizona, which is mostly uphill. Unless the bearings or brakes if you have them on a 13' egg are bad and you aren't overloaded, the tow vehicle is more of a consideration when it comes to your mpg.
Is anyone using a Prius as a tow vehicle?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Duh! V-6ers are gas hogs and the reason to have a 13' foot fiberglass trailer is that you can use a 4 cylinder engine car to tow it! I guess I am old now since I remember the 70's and why "foreign" cars became fashionable. It was because they got better gas mileage and still tend to. I'm driving a 1990 brick (Volvo 240 sedan) and I averaged 25 mpg pulling my Scamp from Northern California to Southeast Arizona, which is mostly uphill. Unless the bearings or brakes if you have them on a 13' egg are bad and you aren't overloaded, the tow vehicle is more of a consideration when it comes to your mpg.
My Highlander gets 24-25 mpg on the highway when not towing. From 24 to 14 seems like a big drop. The Burro had the bearings serviced just before I got it, and has no brakes.

I tow a cargo trailer daily for work. Started out towing with a '96 Windstar 180 HP V6, moved to a 2000 Mountaineer 215 HP V8, now the Highlander 270 HP V6. I've seen little variation between them in towing MPG... actually the latter two do a bit better than the Windstar did, that van struggled some. So I'm not sure I see where the gas savings comes from when towing with a 4-banger. (???)

I wish I could recall with certainty what mileage I got with my Dodge Omni when I towed the UHaul 13 from Michigan to Colorado and back, in the mid '80s.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #5

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
I doubt it. That would void the warranty.

baglo
Old 10-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #6

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Arizona
Registry
Hi,
You have to remember that it is a "Wide-body" Burro. You will have more frontal area bucking the wind. It a price one has to pay for the extra room inside I guess. Enjoy your new rolling home!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Sure, I could do better at 55... or even 50. But time is worth something, too. If it takes forever to get somewhere, that gets tedious (to me).
In this case, time is money! You might want to try it, just to see what the difference is in MPG. You may very well find out it's worth it in fuel savings. If it is, leave home 30 minutes earlier, enjoy the trip... not just the destination.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #8

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Duh! V-6ers are gas hogs and the reason to have a 13' foot fiberglass trailer is that you can use a 4 cylinder engine car to tow it!
So far we've been observing the opposite. We just upgraded our 4-cyl to a RAV4 V6 and actually get same or better mileage with it, as it doesn't have to work nearly as hard, and uses only about 25% more gas or so with the trailer attached to it as opposed to over 40% more with the 4-cyl. The only thing that increased in our case was the safety, handling and overall enjoyment.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #9

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
That mileage you got is normal, we are now towing with a Honda Odyssey and I can get 27mpg without pulling and using no A/C. drops to 25 with A/C, towing 16mpg on the flat no A/C and 14-15 w/A/C If you had turned around and gone back the way you came you may have done better as you could have had a headwind, too many variables to worry over it. enjoy da view
Old 10-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
So far we've been observing the opposite. We just upgraded our 4-cyl to a RAV4 V6 and actually get same or better mileage with it, as it doesn't have to work nearly as hard, and uses only about 25% more gas or so with the trailer attached to it as opposed to over 40% more with the 4-cyl. The only thing that increased in our case was the safety, handling and overall enjoyment.
Question. What was your 4-cylinder car? Year and model please. Percentages sound like Wall Street bail out packages to me as they have no meaning. Statistical analysis often ignores specific cause and effect. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #11

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Question. What was your 4-cylinder car? Year and model please. Percentages sound like Wall Street bail out packages to me as they have no meaning. Statistical analysis often ignores specific cause and effect. Thanks.
We upgraded from a 2001 4-cyl RAV4 (148 hp) to a 2006 RAV4 V6 (269 hp). I also know of another member here who upgraded from a Honda CRV to a V6 Pilot (significantly bigger) with no noticeable decrease in compared average mpg when towing. Of course, mileage when not towing is another story. But so far my observations are that an overworked 4-cyl isn't better at towing in terms of fuel efficiency than a more powerful V6, if you pick the right one.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
My V6 3.8 litre gm minivan drops from 30 mpg (canadian) to 15 when I tow my 17' trillium.
When I had the 13 footer I still got about 25. front drag, and what sticks out on the sides makes a big difference
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
That mileage you got is normal, we are now towing with a Honda Odyssey and I can get 27mpg without pulling and using no A/C. drops to 25 with A/C, towing 16mpg on the flat no A/C and 14-15 w/A/C If you had turned around and gone back the way you came you may have done better as you could have had a headwind, too many variables to worry over it. enjoy da view
You're right, I was traveling west and although winds were nearly calm, there were occasional 5-10 mph winds against me. I might get 15 or better going the other direction.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #14

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
On a previous round trip cross country in 2002 I got overall 15.7 mpg with our Odyssey towing the 17' widebody Burro.
We are currently on the final leg of a somewhat similar trip and I have not calculated the overall mileage yet, but will in a couple of weeks. One leg had no headwind and very flat terrain, and I calculated 18.3 mpg at that time. I think the better mileage was mostly because I was able to keep the transmission in top gear/converter lockup most of the time, something rarely achieved and advisable only under those special cicrumstances.

Most of the time I think it does worse than in 2002, and I believe it has something to do with the ethanol now mixed into most of the gas. It apparently drops the mileage quite noticeably, and we have seen billboards advertising ethanol-free gas for sale, obviously touting the better mileage. I'm sure this could be a topic for some zero-sum discussion if it hasn't been already.
Best price we've found so far has been $2.65/gallon.

Tags
burro