Burro RV video - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Burro RV video

http://youtu.be/ExLWWqs8_tg

Here is a link to a video I put ip on YouTube regarding the rebuild of my circa 1980 Burro RV

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

John
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Sounds like you've really enjoyed your burro. Did you make your rockguard? I think that people would be interested in seeing some close up details of it. I never get tired of seeing people's little eggs, thanks for the tour
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Colangelo View Post
http://youtu.be/ExLWWqs8_tg

Here is a link to a video I put ip on YouTube regarding the rebuild of my circa 1980 Burro RV

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
John, thanks for sharing the video.

Your Burro looks like new! Great job!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Nice job, John. It looks very comfortable and takes care of your needs nicely.
What material was used for the cabinet faces? Look interesting.
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #5

Name: James (Jim)
Trailer: 1981 Burro - 13'
Ohio
Registry
Nice! I just bought an '81, needs refurb from frame up but is sound overall. The rockguard is nice; details, please! Did you keep the original axle/suspension? Mine has the torsion axle, not sure if it's OK or not. Thanks for sharing!
CapnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

Washington
Registry
No, I didn't make the rock guard, I just painted it black and then ordered a custom poster from a sign company. When I'm at a campground this is always open to light light in but while on the road, this really helps. The rock guard is original and came with the trailer when I bought it.

John
Old 03-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
I am going to make new cabinet doors. Right now, I just covered the very thin wood composite board with contact paper. I plan on making nice cabinet doors out of pine and staining them with new hardware too. I could just tinker with this all day!

John
Old 03-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

Washington
Registry
Hey Jim! Yes, I kept the original axle but had it inspected and it passed. I had the bearings repacked. I was going to install trailer brakes, if I do that, I'll replace the axle with one that has built in trailer brakes. If I were you, I'd spend the money and replace the axle with a unit that has the brakes built in to it. I've pulled mine without brakes for two years now but it's DEFINITELY safer to have the trailer brakes and it saves wear and tear on your vehicle's brakes. If you're starting from the ground up, I'd order a new axle with brakes.

John
Old 03-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #9

Name: James (Jim)
Trailer: 1981 Burro - 13'
Ohio
Registry
John, been held up by weather for a few weeks, not much done. I'll have to make a rock guard, I guess. The axle issue is still in flux; the torsion "set" on the spindle/hub is about 30 degrees UP and FORWARD with the trailer sitting level. Plenty of room above the tire for "bounce". Don't know how much it flexes when load is applied; any ideas on how to test it? Doesn't seem to sag but I've only pulled it 1.5 miles from where I found it to my home, couldn't see much on the narrow road with no mirror extensions! I "think" it's OK but need to KNOW before I buy new tires/wheels/axle! Has a 4 on 4" hole pattern, 13" tires. (And the ones on it are original! From 1981, and they hold air! Not going far with them!) Want to go with 14" tires but the wheels are hard to find with the 4 hole pattern; may have to change out the hubs. Too many questions until I can verify the torsion soundness! Keeping it "original" isn't my goal, really. Just want it to be "right" and tow well, last long time! Thanks for the rock guard info; wish the Burro's had one.....
CapnJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro