But I Have To Pass You - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

Quote:
Shulda had a 65 Mustang with a 289 and an automatic.... I KNOW it's capable of over 125mph. Thank goodness no blow outs, nor cops and common sense prevailed before I finished putting my foot through the firewall.
It was a 289, of course, you had to have the 289 to get the GT option. Today, I'd want the auto but back in '65, I was wanting to shift. The 3 spd was standard and I went with it. But if it would have gone 125 mph, I'd have seen if it would. Back then, before a lot of interstates, Texas had some really good roads, some nice and straight like the area after Alice down toward McAllan. Very few people living out that way, ranch land. More than likely it still is. I may have made a mistake about the crusing speed in that area, it was more like 90 mph.

No more of that kind of non-sense for a long time. Sure didn't let my two kids hear about those days (the speed), I did not want them try to do the same thing.

We are hearing reports of terrible crashes involving speeding and racing, especially in El Paso, TX as well as Cruces. Just too many cars & trucks on the roads these days to be doing what I did in the late '60s and early '70s. Often speed and drinking gets them. I never did the drinking. My nephew, lost his only son in a bad crash involving both down in Harlingen, TX in a much faster and meaner Mustang than a '65 about 3 years ago. The car looked like a soda can wrapped around a pole. The young man had just gotten the car. I do not believe his dad even knew the boy had a car. Very hard on the families who get killed and so often the one who was speeding is not hurt and others are killed. Bad stuff hot cars and youth! My Great-Nephew only killed himself, he lost control and hit a telephone pole or a palm tree. Can't recall which. Lights out very quickly. Prom time is very deadly nation wide for kids being killed.

Maybe gas should be $5 a gallon, it would final take some cars off the roads and Hwys. My wifes brother in law in So Cal said they are seeing less traffic with the high cost of gas. Most from kids not being out just driving to be driving.

However, I sure am hoping the price will keep going down. If not, it could hurt our travel plans, not to mention the economy of the nation.

DesertHawk
Reformed Speeder Long Time Back
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
One of the big lessons I learned was towing my first stickie with a Ford F-150 SuperCab. Gas consumption was never great, but really fell when pulling the trailer. I learned that driving at 90 km/h (56 mph for those south of the 49th) optimized my gas consumption and minimized my frustration.

On one summer trip, we stayed overnight at Hope B.C. The next morning we left for thw Tsawwassen ferry to Vancouver Island, a trip of about 160 km (100 miles). About 2/3 of the trip is on the 4-lane TransCanada Highway, the rest on 2-lane highways through residential areas by and large. I put the FOrd on cruise control at 90km/h on a very busy TransCanada Highway and stayed in the right lane. Until our turnoff at Langley, I never touched the brakes or the gas. It was so easy!!

There was a small white sports car that passed us just outside of Hope. I could see him weaving in and out of traffic ahead of us. Then he would get hled up by slow moving vehicles, and we would get ahead. A few minutes later, there he came again, weaving in and out of traffic at speeds over 120 km/h (75 mph). This little scenario repeated itself several times on the way to the ferry. When we got to the ferry terminal pay booth, the white sports car was 3 vehicles ahead of us in the line!!

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
[quote]Simple solution

Attachment 15543

Kevin K.,
That, or drive underneath some of the pickups with the extra high lift kits and monster tires. My old '52 MG TD would almost make it with the windshield folded. It did fit under the trailer of a tractor/trailer rig.

Thanks for the cartoon!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
My old '52 MG TD would almost make it with the windshield folded. It did fit under the trailer of a tractor/trailer rig.

Thanks for the cartoon!
Kurt & Ann K.
Ahh Kurt, I still have a 52 MG TD... it hasn't been out of the garage in nearly 40 years. Guess I should check the wood body frame for termites!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
How do you deal with your [b]aggression??
I play an AudioBook CD.

Name:   9887_9.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  7.6 KB

Repeat as necessary.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #26

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Donna D,

I loved that car, but spent more time and money keeping it on the road than any other I've ever owned. It was bored & stroked with a milled head and competition clutch and contested quite favorably against Corvairs. It looked more competitive than it really was due to the racing slick tires. A fellow in Redondo Beach had actually made a prototype dual cam head that might have helped increase the power but I only saw the original. In 1961 there was not a huge market for MGTD speed equipment.
Then I still couldn't bear to part with it after the crankshaft broke in two. Finally a neighbor offered me enough money that I couldn't pass it up. He spent 3 years doing a wonderful complete restoration.
Memories.
And it was actually a substitute for a Morgan!
That ash body frame just might be inviting to termites. And good old Lucas ignition 56 years later...have fun! Are you going to put it back on the road? I've still got Whitworth wrenches, an original shop manual, & a Uni-syn for balancing the S.U. carbs. Also tool sets for centering the pistons when rebuilding S.U. & the similar Stromberg carbs. Strange the things one has carried around for years.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I haven't towed a camper on the road yet, but I have traveled a lot and live in Houston so every time I get on the freeway it's like pulling into a frantic stampede of maniacs. Our solution to more pleasant traveling experiences has been to find state highways to travel rather than the interstate when ever possible. The roads are usually in good condition, and much less traveled (esp. by big trucks). The only down side is there are fewer businesses/gas stations so you have to stay gassed up as much as possible, and you still get the occasional A-hole driver but there is much less stress over all. I know that sometimes the interstate is the only way to get around in some areas in a timely manor, so it can not always be avoided, but short jogs on main highways are not so bad.

I am sure we are about to get a whole new experience in driving across the country pulling a trailer when we get one, going up hills, people driving like maniacs because you slowed them down... we will sometimes purposely go a few miles under the speed limit just to stay out of the frantic "packs" of fast drivers.
We just took a trip in Co a few weeks ago and it was amazing how impatient people can be when we got stuck behind a big rig going down Monarch pass, slow slow slow and tail gaters all the way down the line...

sometimes just pulling off the road to get a short break is a good method when you feel your pressure is about to blow.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Towed the trailer to a friends place 4 hours away. Had a nice weekend and towed back. Got cut off twice and had a driver stop dead on front of us without any signals. Found out just how good the trucks brakes are. One nice lady pulled up at a light in the right turn lane and then when it changed she cut in front and I almost took out her fender.Also a nice caddy changed lanes giving me about 2 feet of clearance and then slowed down. My horn works!!! Two miles down the road he was in the slow lane of a passing area, creeping along.
How do you deal with your aggression??
Hi James!
Wow do I understand!
I am going to have to admit to an originally unknowing habit that I had: passing for no reason. One culprit of this reasoning -- besides my own silly brain -- was the cruise control. If the cruise control brought me up oh so slowly to the rear of another car I would passsssssssssssssssssss and then resume or reset or something. Next thing I know the guy I passed was coming up getting ready to pass ME! there has to be something wrong with that guy! Ummmm.. cruise control doesn't control perfectly as I found... along with...

Well I figured out I was passing when I had no need to, too. Now I just back off a few MPH and soon the guy ahead of me is waaay ahead of me. I think strangeness in driving has to do with some macho need to be the leader not the follower. Nevertheless when you combine cruise control with a silly little mind like mine then you get passing fever I think.

Thanks for listening... this was cathartic... if you like you can send me a bill via messenger.

Ron
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #29

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Smile

Here in California, they cannot make up their minds on how many lanes to provide. Especially on the 5/405/101 thru Los Angeles. I try to go 55 mph in the slow lane, but I have difficulty when the slow lane becomes an exit lane (that I do NOT want to take) with little notice, and bumper-to-bumper traffic beside you.

Why is the 1st tool of merging the Horn? Especially for someone coming up from behind me doing 85 in a construction zone?