But I Have To Pass You - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Towed the trailer to a friends place 4 hours away. Had a nice weekend and towed back. Got cut off twice and had a driver stop dead on front of us without any signals. Found out just how good the trucks brakes are. One nice lady pulled up at a light in the right turn lane and then when it changed she cut in front and I almost took out her fender.Also a nice caddy changed lanes giving me about 2 feet of clearance and then slowed down. My horn works!!! Two miles down the road he was in the slow lane of a passing area, creeping along.
How do you deal with your aggression??

Old 09-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #2

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: James... Drive a transit bus in London
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #3

Name: Brandy
VODKA! ...when I get to my finally destination......oh kidding somewhat ya know after a few speeding tickets i actually learned to slow down...I *try* not to let someones elses poor planning cause me grief...they were late its causing them stress.....I'm going camping and know soon enough that i will be in the woods and they will be stuck in the car rat race
Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Washington
Quote:
When it gets like that, I drive 55 and let the other guys be the frustrated ones.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Hey James! I see you're in the Toronto area. I did some contract work in Don Mills a few years ago, and can't think that the traffic has gotten any better. So your friend who's four hours away is, what, the other side of town?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Like DaveK, I slow down. Actually I pity bad drivers because I know their insurance rates have to be MUCH higher than mine and that's enough to make me smile!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Quote:
Also a nice caddy changed lanes giving me about 2 feet of clearance and then slowed down.
Seems to me the real question is: What was a golf cart doing on the road in the first place???

Actually... My ability to deal with that sort of behavior has improved markedly over the last few years. While some of it is undoubtedly age, most of it comes from the from our moving to a small town. My "commute" is under 1.5 miles - one way. While that obviously helps the day to day suffering, I've found when I DO have to deal with longer drives and traffic, that I actually handle it a lot better than I used to. I think I just learned not to associate driving with the idea of being in a hurry and stress.

mkw
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Quote:
Probably, getting older has mellowed me, but aggression isn't much of a problem these days. When I hook up the trailer, I try to put my "timeless" hat on. I set the cruise at 90 (Kph). I enjoy the scenery. Things take as long as they take, and you get there when you get there. (There should be a book called "Zen and the Art of Trailer Towing"). I also take the smallest paved road I can find to the destination; usually less traffic and slower speed zones, along with better scenery and a better chance of actually stopping and checking out that new discovery. A good example of this was my last trip, trying to stay on the Great River Road as opposed to the freeways.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #9

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Quote:
Hey James! I see you're in the Toronto area. I did some contract work in Don Mills a few years ago, and can't think that the traffic has gotten any better. So your friend who's four hours away is, what, the other side of town?
I'm 100 clicks west of you, in Woodstock, and we went to Orono near Newcastle by way of no 9 Hwy. I don't like the idea of towing through TO and past Oshawa on 401. Orangeville now has a nice by-pass but Newmarket's still a b***** [Big headache], Pretty drive through Uxbridge.
I know that no one likes to follow a trailer and I'm no better. Yes, I can line them up behind me with the best. I drive 55 on the highways and 65 on the four lane ones. That's 5 mph over the limit most of the time but I'm still the slow guy on the road. We play guessing games as to how far before the guy that just past us will turn off onto another road. I was justsharing a little frustration and wondering what others do.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #10

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I was justsharing a little frustration and wondering what others do.
Verbalize while playing on the joke "You're and ***hole". That is try to keep track of the two biggest wholes of the day and imagine which one would win when you call them up at the end of the day pretending to be the other whole, with invitations to a physical altercation.

One really does not want to do much else, with the horror stories of road rage these days. Who wants to start glassing in bullet holes in their rigs?

I have to wonder about the # of bad drivers on the road today. Even with all the hype about the new racing laws. By now, most should know that doing 50 Km over the limit results in an immediate suspension of your licence, impounding of your vehicle and thousands of $$$ in fines. Believe it or not, over 160 got nailed for "racing" this Labour day weekend on Ontario roads.

Economically one would be money in pocket chartering a chopper.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
I just recently started slowing down to about 55-58mph from 65-72mph because of the price of gas and i had to comment to my wife that i am actually much calmer driving now and actually enjoy the ride much more...... If I do see traffic is backing up behind me i will once in a while when the road gets wide move to the right to let everyone by...... when on a three lane interstate i just stay to the right (the granny lane)and hold it about 58mph and it works great.... I get to my destination and don't feel all stressed out.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I feel your pain (anger)......... After a 2500 mile trip to Glacier (our first with the Casita) I was blown away at the dim witt's! Then our several hundred mile trips only confirm, some people shouldn't be allowed to drive. I love the ones who just have to pass you only to slow down to a crawl. But I think the ones that get me most is those who don't know how to merge on to a freeway........... Hello, get going or get off! As others have said, I think age has mellowed (or the thought that some looney could emerge) how I would respond. Years ago I would have made sure they knew they were stupid. Now I only shake my head and make verbal comments to myself. Robin
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #13

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Simple solution

Click image for larger version

Name:	mban1347l.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	15543
Old 09-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
When I see people driving like idiots, I just think of this guy whose wallet is $12,000 lighter
Speed.pdf
, makes going the speed limit much more attractive.

When I stopped having to do the daily commute to an office job I became a much more relaxed driver, no rushing, no road rage. Also, with gas prices the way they are slow acceleration and coasting to red lights makes a big difference in the gas tank/wallet. Not worrying about what other drivers think helps a lot.