Butyl Tape - All Not Created Equal - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #41

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I just removed and resealed the side jalousie and door windows in my 82 Scamp.
They weren't leaking but I decided to do everything while refurbishing it.
The old type butyl putty was still very pliable away from the outside edges.

I don't think there is any wrong stuff.
Putty or tape both do the same job and we know the putty is good for 20 or 30 years.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #42

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J
I don't think there is any wrong stuff.
Putty or tape both do the same job and we know the putty is good for 20 or 30 years.
Both inexpensive putty tape such as the Camco vent seal pack and the pricey real McCoy are sold as an extruded "tape" in a roll with a paper separator between layers. Has anyone used, or known anyone to use, a bedding putty which was NOT in the form of tape--say a product from a can like glazier's putty--in rv applications? If not, I find it difficult to explain Perry's distinction between putty and tape?

The putty tape I have encountered becomes rock hard and chalky in less than 20 yrs. and adhesion to fiberglass has failed as witnessed by the growth of black mold on both. I believe anyone who pulls windows or vents and finds a pliable gasket after 30 yrs. is dealing with a product with high butyl content and has not encountered the shortest-lived bedding product out there. Butyl tape provides a longer-lasting seal than putty tapes based on volatile organic solvents. Superior performance is the mark of a superior product.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #43

Excuse me for not being more specific Rabbit.
If I question someones advice or comments I either keep my questions to myself or send them a Private message.
I keep my questions to myself quite a bit.
I'm an old guy so my memory is not what it used to be.
As I remember I have refurbished at least 10 eggs, 2 stickies, one slide in camper and I Toyota Sunrader since I retired in 2005.
I have yet to have any complaints about my workmanship.
I have turned down 2 refurbish jobs for others already this year.
I'm the third owner of this trailer.
I bought this trailer from the son of the original owner.
They have never done anything to the windows or roof escape hatch which I removed and resealed and replaced today.
About 1/4 of an inch from the outside edge the putty was virtually like new after 31 years.

The narrow white product on the shiny brown paper is what the guy at my local RV store calls Butyl tape.

The small dryed up roll is the old butyl putty which will dry up if you don't keep it in an air tight baggy.

I attached a picture of the new type and the original butyl putty in case I ahve misinformed somebody
Attached Thumbnails
tape 013 (640x479).jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #44

An addition to my prior post Rabbit!
As a longtime member of this group I would expect better from a "moderator"
than an argumentitive, insulting response.

It is your job to limit responses such as your's and keep everyone on a friendly, respectfull basis.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #45

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
An addition to my prior post Rabbit!
As a longtime member of this group I would expect better from a "moderator"
than an argumentative, insulting response.

It is your job to limit responses such as your's and keep everyone on a friendly, respectful basis.

I don't think that Jack was trying to be disrespectful. Sometimes it is upsetting if it appears that someone is challenging our credibility.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #46

Based on my 45+ years of towing and 8 years of refurbishing eggs I have seen many post that I see as "less than credible" or wrong.
I either bite my tongue or send a PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #47

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
It is always upsetting when someone challenges my credibility so I do understand, Perry. You boast of a great deal of experience in rv ownership and repair which I cannot come close to equaling. You claim that a product which dries out on exposure to air (the "old butyl tape") remains pliable in use over the substantial period of 30 yrs.

I can only offer my experience with the condition of bedding compound used for thruhulls on one 1998 trailer 13 yrs. later. It may be that you have been fortunate in never encountering the worst possible putty tapes available. You have the advantage of me, Sir. I concede to you superior credibility and the responsibility for the advice you offer. I will continue to follow my own insights that there are products available with high butyl content which are superior in service to other products with less or no butyl content and that the additional time and trouble to find and identify as well as additional cost to purchase are well worth results in service.

Incidentally, I do so enjoy your image of a forum moderator as an adversary who can't go a couple rounds because of the one arm you hope is tied behind his back. Have a day.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote