Butyl Tape - All Not Created Equal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Covering the butyl tape with C-10 between the horizontal flange and roof would also provide a firmer skin and prevent dirt, etc. from adhering to the tape.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Good thing it wasn't C-4
Sort of makes a leak irrelevant if it was C-4.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks guys. Second question. Scamp installs their fans and hatches using rivets. So when I did the Fantastic Fan I did the same and I used caps - with a dab of caulking under the snap rings. Photo 1. (edit: to add I just looked & I did put a dab in the center of the rivet as well). Was planning on doing the same with the emergency hatch as it looks a lot better than how Scamp does it - big drops of caulking on the rivet heads - Photo 2.

Is there a downside to using caps vs big drops of caulking on the rivet heads?
Attached Thumbnails
photo2.JPG   photo.JPG  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I just discovered a third roll of so called butyl tape that I bought from an RV parts supplier and never used. The package is sealed and definitely labeled "butyl tape". It is more sticky and pliable than my other stuff but packaged air tight, which leaves me a little suspicious. Is it real butyl tape or fresh no good stuff that will quickly dry out? Is there a test for butyl rubber? Special smell?
LOL Steve if you havent already take a look at link to thread posted in #3 and read through it. Various ways of telling the difference.... maybe
Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I like the cap appearance. I wonder if the grit comes free on the Scamp blob model?
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL Steve if you havent already take a look at link to thread posted in #3 and read through it. Various ways of telling the difference.... maybe
I read through the earlier thread and the roll #3 stuff appears to be the real deal except for the shrinkage looking appearance. It's definitely stickier and stretches longer without breaking. ..... Ah, what the heck, I'll buy a roll (#4) from the guy referred to in my original post to be on the safe side.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I like the cap appearance. I wonder if the grit comes free on the Scamp blob model?
Ditto, no comparison in looks. The caps and more so, the careful workmanship looks much better.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #28

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
In the video, the "grey" stuff used to encircle the bolts of the Bimini top deck hdwre. appeared to be a bit too easy to separate from the roll without producing long chewing gum-like filaments. The white tape used later did produce stringy filaments, signaling, IMO, some butyl content.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Ditto, no comparison in looks. The caps and more so, the careful workmanship looks much better.

Thanks Steve, its just that its one of those projects I have me ignoring for 5 years and now I have it off and roof cleaned up etc its not something I want to do again as long as I own the trailer so would kind of want to get it right the first time.

Interestingly Scamp did indeed use Butyl under the hatch rim but not a lot of it & then caulked it. Pretty sure it was just putty though as it came off way to easy.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #30

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Is there a downside to using caps vs big drops of caulking on the rivet heads?
People cannot admire your meticulous handiwork from ground level?
Fiber Stream used dollops of caulk to cover ALL of their screw heads over the entire trailer. I had to remove each one to replace with new screws (that screw into wood on the other side of the fiberglass) encased in snap caps just as you have done with your Fantastic-Fan installation. Just this year I replaced caps that had deteriorated since their installation in 2004. I have not had any cap leak, although the deteriorated ones looked like half dissolved M&Ms.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #31

Registry
Thanks Frederick - re the deteriorated caps. I found the ones that Scamp sells do break down in time but I found some I purchased from one of the big box stores are a bit shiner plastic and seem to be keeping their shine and not getting that rough finish over time as the ones from Scamp do if thats of any use to you for future cap replacements. Only problem is the nice shine ones dont fit well on the original Scamp cap holders so you need to buy the holders that go with them at the same time.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #32

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
GMike, let me answer. Having worked in aircraft my whole life I have to say always de-burr your holes. Like the man in the vid did.It only takes a small (anything) to keep what ever your putting in the hole to not sit flush. So that mean it could leak.De-burr both sides of the hole.
Remember, more does not mean better.
Some aircraft can float on water. If I was going to install a big part, say a window. I would tape around where it will sit. Fill what needs to be filled and remove what you see then remove the tape. More is not better and always de-burr you hole before you stick your (what-ever) in. Lol, but true.
Let me add, too much is a bad thing. Only need tape or seal where anything mates. Any more and you can trap water or what ever.
Once again, let me add. Do not counter sink your holes in your rv just de-burr. The reason the guy in the vid did is because he was working with think FG and he had those small dimples on top, so he had to. These thin FG rv's if you did what he did you would be weakening the FG
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #33
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Once again, let me add. Do not counter sink your holes in your rv just de-burr. The reason the guy in the vid did is because he was working with think FG and he had those small dimples on top, so he had to. These thin FG rv's if you did what he did you would be weakening the FG
Good point. The fiberglass thickness shown in the video is not anywhere near what we have with our trailers.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #34

Trailer:
Quote:
Butyl Tape - All Not Created Equal
I'm just waiting for someone to suggest that some brands of butyl tape contain silicone and then let Donna see that.......
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Thanks I understood the de-burring. I am not countersinking a screw hole I am just chamfering a bit. I use a cone shaped attachment for my Dremel and almost just kiss it and it does a great job.
Lots of great data as usual.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #36

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
You can also use a bigger drill bit by hand to do the de-burr
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
I'm just waiting for someone to suggest that some brands of butyl tape contain silicone and then let Donna see that.......
Better not....

But, I saw your post Andrew!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #38
SRD

us
I tried in vain to purchase a roll of butyl tape (4th attempt) locally. Gave up and ordered a couple of rolls from the marine supplier mentioned earlier.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #39

Registry
Dont hold your breath Steve that it will in fact be the item you think you really need/ordered ;-)

Keep in mind that as someone mention in the previous long thread on the topic the wrong stuff will do the trick as well and probable for many many years after the trailer is no longer in your possession. Funny enough when I took the factory installed escape hatch off my Scamp yesterday what was under it was butyl putty not the tape. Yet it somehow managed to remain leak free for 22 years.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Whether or not to use the really sticky stretchy butyl or the drier putty tape (to me) is in direct proportion to how difficult the install! I wouldn't want to deal with roof stuff (use the best stuff) very often, windows and vents on the side are easy (use the drier stuff if that's what you have).

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote