Buying a new camp stove - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
I just purchased it recently (but haven't used it yet).
I sure love it,because of the extra room it actually gives you for large pans/pots.

Is the one you referring to Red in color,??
Yep, red and round. We bought it for the space savings, too. We tried three stoves, two from the sporting goods store and one from the factory. The burners didn't heat evenly on any of them. They are also very wind sensitive. Used the first one camping and had a heck of a time. Checked the other two at home with the same results.

I have seen a couple of reviews from people who liked the stove. Maybe I'm too picky? Fire yours up and give it a try - they may have fixed the problem or we were at the low end of the curve with our three tries...

Good Luck,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
We've been using an older version of Kevin K's Coleman - working great, no complaints. Easy set-up, easy stow 'n go. The Partners Stoves ARE gorgeous ... too much $$$ for the Geezers, though.

In my 'other' life we had the old-style Coleman, but I was terrified of the white gas fuel so into the yard sale it went. As Carolyn stated, I think the propane version burns cleaner & has a more consistent flame.

We like the idea of carrying a back-packing burner and would welcome info on brands, suppliers, etc. Thanx! Isn't it GREAT camping weather is here?! Take care, L 'n D

Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
I just purchased it recently (but haven't used it yet).
I sure love it,because of the extra room it actually gives you for large pans/pots.

Is the one you referring to Red in color,??
Ulysse,
I'm one of the ones that is using the new red round one coleman fold n go for over a year now and I love it. Very high btu's very easy to store, takes up little space. One drawback is the lack of a windscreen, but I just invent one if I need it and so far it hasn't been an issue. Cooks fast, and no problems here yet in a year.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:06 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
My camping stove for outside:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...970_16707_16707

Single burner propane from extra 10 Lb propane tank. The stove was cheap; the tank not so cheap.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #19

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Thermos, Grill 2 Go. It has a large cook surface and a folding base. Plus it didn't cost anything. A neighbour tossed it out and I don't think that it had been used more than once or twice.
I now have two old coleman stoves and a table top BBQ stored in the garage. I should probably yard sale them at the Emily gathering.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Rick kl

Have you considered a Webber Baby Q 100 or higher? Over the last 40 or so years I have used the traditional 2 burner white gas camp stove, propane camp stoves and light hiking stoves. I picked up a Webber Baby Q 100 this year and use this as both an outstanding grill, best I've ever had, and a cook top. Works great with cast iron skillets and griddles.

Other than that suggestion, stick with a 2 burner propane cook top like a Coleman or knock off (avoid the Coleman grill combination, it's really tough to clean and because you cannot cover it flare ups are a frequent occurrence when grilling some meats)

Coleman has a ton of experience in this field however I think their quality has deteriorated over the years and knock offs IMHO are on par given the limited number of weeks a year one may use it.

Last comment, personally I'd be reluctant to go back to uncompressed stove fuel again unless I was backpacking.

Edit: In the video they use a welders style propane canister. I can confirm you can use either a standard 20, 10 or 5 lb propane tank with adapter hose, a standard 16 oz propane canister or the type featured in the video. Compatibility will not be an issue.

http://longlonghoneymoon.com/2008/06/10/pr...able-gas-grill/
Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 5500
I'd echo the votes for the white-gas Coleman. The white gas is much cheaper to operate than propane, and if you have the old-school lanterns (with the mantle), a can of gas does double duty. We have a 50 year old coleman stove that still operates just fine. I had to replace the pump valve in the gas bottle, and brush out the burners after each season, but it still runs great! Works great for cooking outside, boils water pretty quickly, and has a fairly adjustable flame.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #22

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
We have a folding bake oven that we use at times. I have set it up on both the white gas and the propane coleman models and then used an oven thermometer to see how they did. I was able to reach a much higher temperature with the gas model.
I see that CTC has a converter for the gas version so that you can use the propane canisters. Now perhaps that's the best of both!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
The reason I want to stick with propane is two friends and I of mine were out camping (teenagers) I was setting up the tent Paul and Dave were getting a fire going, Paul used white gas to start the fire Dave was standing 10 feet downwind and was engulfed in flames, his synthetic pants melted onto his legs after 3 mons. in a burn ward he recovered. Anything is dangerous if miss handled, after that we adopted a no rocket fuel policy, I have been useing propane ever since. I have a 5 LB. bottle that lasts a long time and reallly doesn't take up to much room, the small bottles have out priced themselves (a $4 container and .50 worth of propane).
Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #24

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
I must chime in in this topic...I have used numerous types of camp stoves, but must totally support camp chef stoves. Why? I like a high power output. Camp chef typically has a 30,000 BTU minimum burner capacity. Last year I bought a high power burner, 75K- and LOVE it! I bought the grill attachment, and have no problem in any wind- a big challenge for high wind areas. I have a coleman travel grill, and liked it until the higher altitudes, where after an hour, it still hadn't boiled water. Not a problem in any condition for the camp chef units. They have a small unit, for the table top, as well as units that are stand alone with legs.

Pam
Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #25

The camp Chef grill looks really good! although pricey, its something that would last a lifetime the cheaper stoves are hard to control and don't give off much heat. The All Terrain Sport Stove looks like just the ticket.

http://www.campchef.com/store/item/8/ATS50...port_stove.html
Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #26

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
As a minor collector of old Coleman products, I can agree with several of the earlier posts, the old stoves aren't too hard to keep going or to bring back to life after a long time in storage. The little adapter kit to convert your liquid fuel stove to propane is pretty common now, not real expensive, and seems to work quite well. Plus you can't spill the little propane cylinders...hehe

Of course it comes down to what works for the individual's preferences, so that's the final factor there. But, if someone's looking for an inexpensive way to start out, with any camping equipment in general, thrift shops and garage sales are EXCELLENT hunting grounds!
Okay, that's my two cents...hehe

Joe
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #27

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
The camp Chef grill looks really good! although pricey, its something that would last a lifetime the cheaper stoves are hard to control and don't give off much heat. The All Terrain Sport Stove looks like just the ticket.

http://www.campchef.com/store/item/8/ATS50...port_stove.html
I didn't know you could attach legs...how cool is that! Though, I must admit, it only has 20k BTU per burner, this one has 30kBTU for just a few dollars more...

http://www.campchef.com/store/item/63/DJ60...etop_stove.html

[attachment=24604;weekender.jpg]

and walmart.com is advertising it for $108!!
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #28

Thats a great price but I live in Canada and our Walmart doesn't sell these, I am contacting the local dealer; Peavey Mart for a price on the All Terrain Sport Stove, I will ask them for a price on this model as well.