Buying a new camp stove - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #29

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Just ordered one of these. A bit spendy, but looks to be pretty well made. Will review it when it comes in.

http://www.dutchovenpro.com/product/C-OVEN

Old 05-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #30

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Quote:
Just ordered one of these. A bit spendy, but looks to be pretty well made. Will review it when it comes in.

Our Sam's Club sells those here in Ohio....about the same price I believe. I've looked at it every time I've been in Sam's...kinda cool - but I ended up with a $10 Black & Decker toaster oven that was on sale this past "Black Friday" at Lowe's. Let us know how it works for ya!!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:

Hi Greg, is that in addition to the one in your trailer? It [b]does look cool!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #32

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
If your quest is maximum BTU's, you need an army surplus M2 burner. Imagine 2 gallons of gasoline pressurized to 20 psi and lit.

I'll pass. Too many 03:30 wakeups to cook scrambled eggs for 350 soldiers. I'll stick to my trusty Coleman 2 burner propane stove.

Tom Trostel

http://www.bayonetinc.com/store/prod...A-Burner-Unit/
Old 05-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #33

Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot (25B25RQ)
Quote:
Other than that suggestion, stick with a 2 burner propane cook top like a Coleman or knock off [b](avoid the Coleman grill combination, it's really tough to clean and because you cannot cover it flare ups are a frequent occurrence when grilling some meats)

Coleman has a ton of experience in this field however I think their quality has deteriorated over the years and knock offs IMHO are on par given the limited number of weeks a year one may use it.
I have one of these and just love it. I have the optional non stick griddle to go with it and use that very often. I do every thing on that griddle.
As far as clean up, I line the grill side bottom with heavy duty aluminum foil and when finished grilling, just remove, throw away, and I'm done.
Mine is the older, dark green with Piezo lighting, American made unit. It has served me well for around 8 years. I have a friend that used mine once and liked it so much that he thought he had to have one. He purchased a new blue Coleman (Chinese made) and that was poorly made. It was hard to control and difficult to light even though it has the Piezoelectric lighter.
My Coleman is just right size (low profile and compact) for storing just about anywhere. It's sturdy built and works good.
When buying some Coleman products now days, it is "buyer be aware". Some of them are not what you used to associate with the Coleman name.

This is the older dark green one that I am referring to. It is no longer available, out of production for several years.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-9921A750-Gri...e/dp/B00005OU9C
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
John H,

My experience also. I haven't seen any of the flare-ups that Mike reports. And the teflon grill cleans up pretty easily.

I also line the grease trap with foil and I only replace it every other trip or so.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #35

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
From Mike T.: "Hi Greg, is that in addition to the one in your trailer? It does look cool! "

Hi Mike,
Yes, this stove/oven combo will be in addition to the factory installed two burner propane stove I have in the trailer. I, like many others, prefer to cook outdoors whenever possible. It helps keep the grease vapors and cooking odors out of the trailer's rat fur. I think having an oven is kinda neat too. It broadens one's ability to expand the typical camping menu. Grilled, boiled, and slow-cooked crockpot meals are great, but there are those times you just want to make something different, which requires the use of an oven. Without one, it's a bit more work to try and jerry-rig a dutch oven into an oven for certain things. I think it will be great, but I will have to review it when I get it.

Greg
Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #36

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Quote:
I didn't know you could attach legs...how cool is that! Though, I must admit, it only has 20k BTU per burner, this one has 30kBTU for just a few dollars more...

http://www.campchef.com/store/item/63/DJ60...etop_stove.html

[attachment=24604;weekender.jpg]

and walmart.com is advertising it for $108!!

I found why I can't find this stove for sale here in Canada its because it has not been approved for sale in this country!

My new plan is to patch up old faithful for this season, when I go South next winter I'll see if the Walmart in Yuma has this model.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #37

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
I found why I can't find this stove for sale here in Canada its because it has not been approved for sale in this country!

My new plan is to patch up old faithful for this season, when I go South next winter I'll see if the Walmart in Yuma has this model.
After finding this unit for $108...I decided I needed a more portable camp chef unit...and got it. We have the bigger single burner model and love it, so this will give us a more flexible arrangement.

Pam
Old 06-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #38

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey All

After reading this thread for a while, I started keeping my eyes open again at thrift shops and swap meets, and there are a TON of the older/sturdier/trusty Coleman units out there. They are often for $10 or less, and just need some TLC to get them back to the campsite. Most are the liquid fuel type, but the little propane converter is only around $10 and pretty easy to find, online or in person.

As a lover of old camping stuff, I pick up items like this from time to time and can tell you it's not tough to revive/revamp/refurbish most of these items. Most of the older lanterns & stoves are darn near bombproof, no plastic to melt from heat, etc.

If anybody was really looking hard, and in my general location, I'd be more than happy to hunt up something for you and help with the revival, no cost to my labor. Honestly you can end up with a pretty decent appliance for maybe $20, parts and all...

Of course, if you're searching for a chef-quality item, that's a little beyond my knowledge, I don't know what the BTUs are that the old rigs put out. But I do know that nobody should be having to dish out $100 or more for a campstove if you're just doing basic cooking/making coffee/etc., K? So there's my latest two cents on the subject...hehe

Joe
Old 06-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Cast Iron Single Burner Propane Stove

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...970_16707_16707

Cheap but a little heavy, likely never wear out. Works for me. I can easily stir-fry on it!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #40

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I've been looking at the combination burners/oven that Greg mentioned and am trying to justify the cost vs how much we actually camp. I did find it online at Target for $199 if someone else is considering it.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #41

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate....&pCatg=4586

Comes with the carry bag and the bulk tank adapter. I've been very temped, I fondle it every time I go to Sams.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #42

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
we had the original Coleman gas stove that we converted to gas but it never really was the best.
then we found a Century stove made in Illinois on sale at Walmart I think , a two burner gas stove that closes up flat to 2 inches. We have been using this for about 6 years now and it's great.
I don't remember the price , but it was way cheaper than Coleman at the time.