Buying a new old Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Name: Connor
Trailer: Scamp
Arkansas
Buying a new old Scamp

Hi I am new to Scamp. I have had an older Starcraft that I had zero issues with. I have found and managed to place a hold on a 1977 13' in Colorado. The seller states that it has sat for 10 years and it has no leaks. I am going to replace the tires before I pull it back, but what other things do I need to look for?
I have heard the axle will need to be replaced but how do I know for sure? Is the axle something that is a must to be replaced to pull back or it is simply for the ride of the camper? The seller says the floor is solid and there is no rust on the frame but I have requested some pictures to be sure.
I really appreciate any help in advanced and sorry if this is not the correct place to post this!
Connor
con57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
Ask whether they resealed the windows and vents themselves and with what. It may not have apparent leaks, but if it has original silicone sealant you should plan on re-sealing. Ours supposedly didn't have leaks either until we drove home last week in pouring rain, and discovered that our Burro was actually a sieve. Fun stuff.
jwjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Verify the floor condition by looking inside the cabinets and benches around the perimeter of the trailer. That's where leaks from windows are most likely to cause damage. The center part is usually covered with some kind of finish flooring, so you can feel for sponginess and look underneath for signs of staining. Beware of fresh laminate flooring; it may hide softness. If the floor is solid, resealing windows and vents is not such a big deal if required. Excessive caulk is a good sign of issues. Caulk is a bandaid, not a fix, and silicone caulk is a nightmare to remove.

You are correct, the axle is not an issue for towing as long as the tires aren't rubbing (check clearance inside wheel wells). But bearings are. Sitting for a long time is not good- might want to repack before heading out.

Best wishes with your "new" Scamp!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

Arkansas
Thanks for your input! The owner did say that he did put new carpet in awhile ago but confirms that the floor is solid. I'm waiting on some pictures from him of under the scamp and axle area. As far as the bearings I know I should repack but I won't have time as I'm going there to get it and heading back. It's probably not a good idea but I'll have to keep and eye on them and check to see if they heat up.
Below are some pictures of it. Any input on whether this is a good first Scamp or not would help me out too!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468945508.621609.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	97544Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468945525.438937.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	97545Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468945536.011281.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	97546Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468945547.366184.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	97547Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468945558.238704.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	97548Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468945572.746486.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	97549Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468945583.651132.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	97550

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
I would ask the seller to have bearings repacked before you get there. Not a big deal for a serious buyer/seller situation. Even if you don't end up buying he will then be able to speak to / address any of those issues for future buyers, so it's really good for him too.
jwjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

Name: Bob
South Dakota
It's not worth the risk to not repack the bearings, it would take 2 hours at the most. How long would it take if you have try to remove frozen bearings along side of the road somewhere? If you aren't comfortable doing it and don't want or trust the seller, find a local shop and make an appointment to have it done. The peace of mind alone is worth it.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #7

Name: Bob
South Dakota
It's not worth the risk to not repack the bearings, it would take 2 hours at the most. How long would it take if you have try to remove frozen bearings along side of the road somewhere? If you aren't comfortable doing it and don't want or trust the seller, find a local shop and make an appointment to have it done. The peace of mind alone is worth it. Also very carefully inspect the frame for cracks where the frame rails bend to go down both sides.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #8

Arkansas
I completely agree. I just will be picking it up in the evening Saturday and doubt a shop will be open then or on a Sunday to repack. The seller doesn't have anything to haul the Scamp with or I'd ask him to do it.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Check with the local Firestone store. Most as required open Sunday and do a good job on my Scamp wheel bearing
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #10

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Not sure where in Colorado you are picking this up, or if you could manage the times, but Parker Trailer, in Parker Colorado will do a complete inspection, repack wheels and bearings, go through the propane and electric to ensure all is working and safe for $125. It might give you great peace of mind to do that pre-emptively or call over there and see if they could squeeze you in to get it done before driving back. Congrats on your new trailer!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #11

Arkansas
I was able to get an appointment with Firestone. Hopefully they can have it done Sunday at a reasonable time so I can make the 12 hour drive back.
I plan on taking it to a place up here once I get it back before I camp in it and having it gone through. Thanks for everyone's help and feedback!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

Name: Dan
Iowa
Registry
I would check the frame on the non-door side, where it curves and would want a pic of that area. Mine cracked there but was weld-repaired at one point. I did not check before buying and was lucky, I guess. Would also pay special attention to how well the door closes at the bottom, as this can point to frame issues as well.

Dan
Curbfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #13

Arkansas

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468955255.235426.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	97558

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1468955267.992653.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	97559

Here's some of the other side. Looks like it's been sitting awhile so a cleaning will be needed!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

Arkansas
I am also curious if this is supposed to have a place for a battery hook up? Did some come with them and some not? Is it worth installing one?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think I would call Firestone and arrange for new tires to be installed while they are doing the bearings. They could order them now and have them there waiting for you. Small trailer tires are not in stock everywhere you go.
Dead giveaway is the racing stripe white wall on the spare tire. You could always buy a set and take them down with you. A 12 hour drive on old rotten flat spotted tires is a challenge I wouldn't want to take. Make sure you take a jack that can get really low with you.

Have a safe trip. I remember how excited that I was when I went to pick-up my used Scamp.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #16

Arkansas
I have already arranged with the seller to have him take off the old tires and put on some new ones. Taking the old tires off doesn't involve him moving the trailer with a car or I'd have him take it to Firestone before I get there to repack bearings.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Pull off the hub caps and check the grease on the outer bearing. If it isn't cackled hard or has grease in it things should be good.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #18

Arkansas
Could I possibly put grease in there for peace of mind?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #19

Registry
If the hubs have bearing buddies you can add some bit it isn't a cure all. Be careful no to ad too much you can blow out the seals. You can tell if it has them easily. There will be a grease zerk in the center of the hub, maybe under a cap. There is a check list you can down load elsewhere on this web site. Print it out and take it with you.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #20

Registry
I'm sure there is a spot for a battery. You won't need it just to take it home unless you plan on sleeping in it on the trip. Then maybe. I've seen some work without it when plugged in to shore power.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp