buying a new scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
We are going to be ordering our new 16' scamp in the next few weeks. Any advice or comments on accessories that are necessary or just nice to have?
Roger Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
We are going to be ordering our new 16' scamp in the next few weeks. Any advice or comments on accessories that are necessary or just nice to have?
One thing I didn't learn until it was almost too late is that, if you order the rear cabinet over the dinette, you don't automatically get a light -- you have to specify that you want the light.

Also, I would definitely order an electric water pump instead of just the manual pump for the onboard tank.

Did I read they're going to all jalousie (sp?) windows? That's good; I'd prefer them over sliders, I think.

Those are the main things that come to mind. Congratulations on your new purchase!

Jeff
WI
Jeff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Hi Roger,
Good idea! Buy a Scamp. We bought a new Scamp 19 9000 miles and many camps ago and love it.
First suggestion: Sell your vehicle, buy a pickup truck, then buy a Scamp 19. Just kidding! We changed our usual conservative approach realizing we would own the trailer forever, so we added everything that was available except TV connections. No regrets at all! Every extra has proven to be well thought out and valuable.

Consider: The full bath, an extra fresh water tank; range instead of a cook top; exhaust hood and fan; refrigerator (large is better), extra cabinets, deluxe wood interior; vinyl, not carpet flooring (practical); electrical heating in addition to gas for the water heater; the Fantastic fan; awning; and axle with electric brakes for safety.

The deluxe interior adds utility and cozy that are well worth the cost. We chose a floor plan that maximizes counter space. Counter space is always valuable in small trailers.

Yes, now that we have used our Scamp extensively, we would buy it again. The Scamp people and product have been great.

John and Dee
Northern Calif.

John and Dee W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Thanks for your comments. We are unsure that the windows have changed, something we will have to ask about when we order. Our towing vehicle is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma with the tow package, so it should pull our 16 ft. easily. We are new to this site, but have learned alot in reading old posts etc. and plan to continue.
Roger Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Roger, Congrats!

We got about all the things offered, even the tv connection, not sure if I would again? Not sure if I wouldn't as well.

Really like the Fanstic Fan, very happy we got it, would again.

AC works well, a have-to here in NM.

We didn't get a furnace, saves some storage space without it, but have to use a Black Cat heater at times or an electric cube heater. It has worked OK with us.

If buying a Scamp now, I believe I would go with a Custom Deluxe, {not for the wood interior, which is ok but we like the white fiberglass better for looks} and go for the extra width in the rear bed. The narrow bed is our only gripe with our 16' Scamp. We got the Side Dinette, which can't be better.

We ordered it with the extra cabinets, extra lights, the outside electrical plug.

We got the "bike" receiver hitch put on, very happy with it.

photos Corian stove top cover, I had made.
Bal-Jacks I added to stabilize the front of the trailer.
Rear carrier which goes on the receiver hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Corian2.jpg   BAL_Jacks.jpg  

Scamp_rear_end.jpg  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe
Be sure to ask for an inside 12 volt outlet. I use mine to monitor the battery charge status.
Bruce & Mary Jane B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm a big fan of jalousie windows, so I'd say to at least consider them (the parts department sells either those or sliders, so I would imagine you could get either when you buy new, if you ask).

The reason I like them is that you can leave them open virtually all the time (except when towing). That's nice for ventilation, either when you are camping or when the trailer is stored. For me, with sliders, even going on a short hike, I'd be thinking "I'd better close the windows in case it rains." Also, if I'm sleeping with a window slightly open, and it starts raining, I don't give it a second thought.

People have talked about jalousie windows letting in dust when traveling, but I have not noticed that. I have a feeling it is often because the windows are old, and either the seals need replacing, or the cranks aren't closing them tightly anymore (replaceable). Mine are 35 years old and still fine. Also, the new jalousies are radiused, and the opening part is not as wide, so that should make it even easier to maintain a seal all the way across.

When I found my trailer it was dry and smelled fresh as a daisy inside (others I looked at were very musty). The previous owners (18 years!) had a checklist for storing the trailer, and the first item was to "crack the windows over the stove and in the door for ventilation" (they are also jalousies on my trailer).

Have fun ordering a new trailer!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Screen door!

We have one in our 13' Scamp, and wouldn't be without it.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Roger your Tacoma should do fine if it's like mine, tow pack, 4 wheel drive etc. Should tow it with ease!

As far as what to add to your new purchase if it were me I would put everything on, air, awning, etc.................. I am from the old school when accessories added at a later date never functioned as they should have. And just believe that accessories added at the factory will always function better than after thoughts.

Have you seen the used Scamp for sale in Rapid City? Might give you an idea of what you want to add.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
I saw a young Scamp 16' side dinette deluxe for sale on this forum. It is a 2007, and looks like new. Only 8000 miles or so. Also not that far away, located in Wisconsin. I know that the owner just wants to switch to a slightly larger Escape.
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

We did get the awning and use it at times.
Attached Thumbnails
EggCrew2_sm.jpg   South_Meadow_CG_Colorado.jpg  

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #12

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Roger - Glad to hear about you getting a new RV! Not sure if it is important to you, but I'm 6'3" and 260# - we just became new owners of an EggCamper. Boy! Is it ever roomy for a 17' - I have 3-4" headroom (even w/ AC) and more legroom than I can use! Not trying to 'steal anyones fire' - but we checked out lots of egg type campers and settled on EggCamper due to several reasons, e.g. weighs less than 2000#; strong; insulated dbl wall construction; simple engineering; great axel, tires & 10" brakes; lots of room AND fun to look at ;-)

Check out EggCamper.com and tell Jim Palmer 'Bill sent you'!

Be safe and have lots of fun on the road - no matter what is following your tow vehicle ;-)

Tags
scamp