Buying Advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

We spent 315 days in our Scamp 16 this year with many Spring rainy days in Oregon and never once felt we were in too tight a space. It's definitely close but simultaneously cozy. On rainy days we have our computer, sat TV and our Nooks.

Donna is correct in that one is normally out and about exploring, most of the time in a new place.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

As a reference point 'Borden', a member on this site, pulls a 17 foot Boler with a Toyota Corolla. He might be willing to relate his experiences.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
Take a look at a recent thread titled "Memory Foam Mattress topper?". Towards the end some folks posted a photo of their bed when set up. It looks very cosy and luxurious with all those pillows! We, too, retreat to our "lounge area" in inclement weather or just for an afternoon nap. As Norm and Ginny said there are lots of ways to create your individual "space" in these FG trailers.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300 Nor'Easter Egg '06 Ranger Supercab 3.0L auto
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Hayes
With a 1,500 lb. tow limit, you want to check things carefully even with 13's. I see Trillium 1300s advertised as being about 1,000 lbs -the factory spec sheet stuck to the inside of a closet door on my '74 Trillium 1300 gives the weight as 1.500 lbs. The basic trailer - sans fridge, stove, furnace, propane bottle, battery, jacks, chock blocks, etc., etc., may well be 1,000 lbs, but as a kayak-building friend once told me, '...everything weighs something', and it quickly adds up.

I like to have about a 50% buffer between the vehicle's rated capacity and trailer weight - so at a capacity of 1,500 lbs., 1,000 lbs. would be ideal, leaving me some wiggle-room for personal gear and supplies. Adding trailer brakes would increase that margin to some extent. And I keep the thought in mind that's it not really about how much you can tow, but how much you can stop...

Re comfort - one's person's claustrophobic is another's cozy - a lot depends on the personalities, and on having a plan to ride out the bad weather. E-readers are great - naps work, too. A little transistor radio that tunes CBC1 and shortwave bands can provide a lot of entertainment. Getting out for a while, even in foul weather, can really make one appreciate the warmth and dryness all the more. Like many things, it is whatever you make it...

Good luck in the hunt. For what it's worth, I paid $4,500 for my Trillium 1300 in very good condition - clean, everything working, no damage, no issues. To me, a fair to both sides deal...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
Name: joe
Trailer: currently shopping
Great replies about the question of space. I went out today and had a look at a Boler 13. It is really nice inside. Up until this point I had only seen them through internet photos, which can't really show you what it really is like. I really thought it was nice. Thanks very much, as well, for some indications of price, as the prices seem to be all over the map, and as there aren't that many of them available, it is hard to find out what a fair price should be. These indications are a good start for me.

One question which came up as i was looking this one over, which I don't think I am ready to buy just yet--a bit more research and thinking to do, yet--but

i wondered how you can tell on an older camper like these, if all of the gas fittings, for instance, are OK. Gas can be a dangerous thing. YOu would rally want to be sure it is working right.
gouthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Joe you are best to ask the seller to demonstrate to you that everything works. Take along you own propane tank if they claim they dont have any gas in theirs to show you. Its also well worth the small priced paid to have the trailers gas system checked over by a local rv shop once you get it home just to be sure.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote