buying used, tags for transport? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
buying used, tags for transport?

Hi, all. I did a brief search to no avail so I am hoping to get an answer here. What kind of tags do you use to transport your used trailer from purchase to home? thanks . . .
Old 08-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There's some information here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-63626.html
And here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ate-74800.html

Best searching is with the "Site Search/Google" function at the bottom of the Search menu in the blue task bar under your log-in information. It's only available on the full website, not the app or mobile skin. I found the above by searching on "temporary tags."
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

thanks, Jon. I am going to try and wade thru my state's DMV website since I am purchasing in-state. Good advice!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Another option if the trailer is already registered, is just to use the current tags, then mail them back when you get home. The tag the trailer after the title, etc comes through. If you have a bill of sale with you, it should work. That was the word from NY when I bought mine last week.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Thanks, EricAllyn. I am going to contact the seller and see if that is an option, as our appointment is Monday. Looks like I would actually have to go to the DMV for a temporary tag and in my heavily populated county that is time consuming.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have bought out of state from private parties dozens of times and even new from the factory. I carried the open title or certificate of origin along with a dated bill of sale in each case.
I have NEVER been stopped or questioned about registration not even in Pennsylvania where they measure paperwork by the pound and spend hours at the DMV processing it.
I am from Illannoy where there is a grace period for tax, title and registration, but no state has yet to even ask about Illinois rules.

If you have questions, ask your local DMV for the rules in your state and then decide how to proceed.
Most important, get a legitimate title signed open by the name on the front. Get a simple dated Bill of Sale. ( bring it along and get it signed)
You will need at least a clear title to register the trailer when you get home and to establish your ownership.
Be aware, there are some states which do not issue titles on vehicles or trailers over a certain age or sometimes under a certain weight.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Gwen, just curious, what state are you in?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #8

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Close your eyes and haul butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
When I bought the Casita in North Dakota, i purchased a temp tag that was suppose to be good in all 50 states for 2 weeks. I was traveling back from ND to Saskatchewan and into Alberta. I drove across at North Portal and did all the fun stuff at the border, I pointed north with the temp permit and hoped no one would notice (and no one did). I figured that if it was good in all 50 states then they would probably have to go thru western Canada to get to Alaska so I should be safe That being said , we tried to honestly get a answer from 3 different registry offices in Saskatchewan and they didn't know.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
We are all so goody-two-shoes here worrying about stuff like this. I was told by a close law enforcement friend that the size of our first Scamp wouldn't be heavy enough to even need plates. They also let on that there are far larger problems to worry about than a little white camper going by with scary older people driving under the speed limit. Just another thing to write up a report for, like they want to do that. They are looking for someone who has more than one ticket in 30 years of driving, not out to hassle law abiding citizens. I only registered it for insurance purposes.

Just joking but these cute little white campers could be used by drug runners to bring stuff across the borders. Stuff it full and get waived right through. Really, can we find anyone on here who ever got pulled over for RV registration? Curious how frequent it happens. Chime in if you were stopped.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Well I hate to say , when I brought the Casita home, Canadian Customs didn't even look at the trailer as we had a picture of the serial number plate with us when we were inside paying for the taxes to bring into Canada. No one looked at the truck or the trailer. Could have had almost anything in there. BUT YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THEY WILL GUT THE THING! Don't piss them off going either direction, both can be nasty if you give them cause.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote