Buying Used: What to look for? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #15

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Mark,
I sent you a PM with a link to the trailer I think you are talking about. The seller is asking for cash only. Maybe they need the cash, maybe they are a scammer. If this is the trailer, I'd be making sure the paperwork is in order. Title etc.

Go with your gut after speaking with the seller. It might be worth the trip to look at it.

Sometimes a trailer gets listed without the owner knowing the real value. Or the family is selling (estate sale) These go quickly.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #16

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Yes that is it and yes that is exactly what I was thinking.

I am a teacher and a coach. Hard for me to just take off on a 7 hr trip, at least until summer arrives.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Mark,
I sent you a PM with a link to the trailer I think you are talking about. The seller is asking for cash only. Maybe they need the cash, maybe they are a scammer. If this is the trailer, I'd be making sure the paperwork is in order. Title etc.

Go with your gut after speaking with the seller. It might be worth the trip to look at it.

Sometimes a trailer gets listed without the owner knowing the real value. Or the family is selling (estate sale) These go quickly.
I have sold any number of RV's over the years and always insist on CASH only. On three instances we had to go to a local bank to make the transaction, but when the seller drives away with their prize, I know what I have in hand is as good as gold.....

Of course, if the buyer has 50 new Ben Franklins with matching serial number it might need a second look!.....
Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Yes that is it and yes that is exactly what I was thinking.

I am a teacher and a coach. Hard for me to just take off on a 7 hr trip, at least until summer arrives.
You might want to rethink waiting until summer.

By late June/early July most FGRV prices will be 50% or more above todays prices, much more than you might loose taking off a day from work.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #19

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Fortunately, I am no big hurry to purchase. I can afford to wait until the right deal and model comes along.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #20

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
Hi Mark

A few years ago I bought what I thought was a good 13 foot Bigfoot. there was not a battery in the pod, up front, I was told that the heater worked, an Atwood, ( and it works great. ) the seller was a women whose husband had died . I was not trying to get pushy with what she knew. The water tank was okay the sink lines full of goo did not work. (she said she never used it ) should have asked for a reduction in cost for repair insurance, I didn't. I had to replaced. all hoses and the pump. The frig. had been replaced, it turned out to be okay. I should have asked for her to pay for a new battery as part of the sale, so I could check things out. I didn't know what I was doing ! no bad smells, doors and windows worked well. Now the main problem, the tires needed to be replaced. I took the trailer to Discount tires
The tires were trailer tires. I took the trailer for a trip to Alaska, from Utah I had been on several 300 mile +- trips to check things out ( perhaps a test drive around the sales area would be good thought ) I did not. I serviced the wheel bearings put new brake drums and shoes Everything seemed great. While in Canada I was looking at the wheels and feeling the wheels for temp. I looked a the tires to see how they were running. The wear on the Driver side was a little above the cord, what a shock The tires were new so I didn't pay much attention to the tread, while traveling. there was a tire sales and truck repair shop in the tiny town of Liard River B.C. where we had camped. the owner said, it's obvious the axle is bent. " Look down from the trailer, on the wheel from above the wheel well, " one could see that the wheel was canted out a couple of inches from square. the axle had a big ding on the driver side. The shop said they could have a new axle sent in, in about a week. A $1000.00 plus the air flight and labor.I changed the bad tire to the other side, drove to Watson Lake across the border into Yukon territories. Had the axle bent back to straight, Watson had no tire to fit the size rims on the trailer. Drove to Whitehorse no tires, Could order them from Anchorage Alaska. No tires in between. Driving carefully bought new tires in Anchorage. My long story over look at wear on tires. I did not, check axle for impact. The impact was as big as a hard ball and deep. Check that all lights work. Mine needed corrosion cleaned up. The trailer is wonderful now.

Later Kenny

P.S. as we all know you should have a great time owning a trailer a 98 is new.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #21

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Post a request in another thread.
There may be members that live close by that will look at it for you or already know the trailer. I had a member go look at my Trillium before I drove out to buy it. I also paid a mechanic that was familiar with RV's to give me a lowdown on my boler American. Both were hefty drives for me to go look at. The boler American was 10 hrs one way, the Trillium about 5. Both involved an overnight stay.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #22

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You might want to rethink waiting until summer.
I agree. I've avoided posting details of the ad, to prevent someone from snatching this trailer out from under him. I presume Mark has done the same.

If the inquiry phone calls pan out, I'd either be working on finding someone to look at it for me or be heading out to get it myself. From the pictures in the ad, it is a half decent looking trailer for the price. I see an artifact in one window that might be a torn screen.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #23

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Thats a really good deal if the trailer is in as good shape as it looks. As Roy said see if someone can check it out for you if it is still available, lots of times the posting is up but the trailer is long goene.