Cabin A / Aliner versus Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Just curious if anyone is like us and has it down to these two types of brands although three trailers. My husband is leaning towards the Aliner for tow ability but I am more towards the Cabin A or possibly the Trillium
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Theresa,

When I was shopping around for a trailer I too considered the Aliner because of the towability factor (folding down out of the wind). After talking to the dealer reps selling the Aliner at RV shows as well as the ones selling the Trillium, I decided to go with the Trillium. The Aliner, when equipped with the options the Trillium has as standard and the sleeping capacity I wanted would've had a tongue weight greater than the 200lbs (max for my car). Also, the big brag by the reps for the Aliner was that the design was modified to allow full head room while sitting at the table because of the skylights - not about the quality of the build or anything that might be considered more important. I'm not knocking the Aliner, I'm just really happy with my decision to go with the Trillium.
Robert B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
If my old memory serves me, the A-Liners have a lot less storage than the 'eggs', especially because of the lack of upper cabinets.
I don't think that I would want to put an A-Liner up and down, just to stop at a scenic lunch spot.
Also like someone else said, I would go with a used one for now. You won't take such a $ beating when you find the one that you really want. You won't know what that is, until you have had one for a while !!
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I too looked at A Liner before purchasing my Scamp along with looking at tent trailers. The simplisity of a fibergalss trailer along with the weight and towablility made the decision easy. My Scamp weighs 1500 lbs and 160 lbs tongue weight.

Set up at a campsite is so easy. Un-hitch, Level, turn on fridge. done.

Most colapsable type of camp trailer will have jamming problems at some point. You'll fight to get them open and set up or fight to get them folded back up. New they'll work great, after a few trips on a dusty road things will probably change.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I considered Aliners, and they are an interesting concept, seem to be made "OK", but are just not a good bang for the buck.

I set them up as part of my test drive. They are really as easy as they make them out to be.. but.. a good gust of wind frightens me with them. I read a couple horror strories on the Aliner/Chalet group on Yahoo about the wind collapsing them.

You have more floor space and consistant head room in an egg, and the no set up factor takes it over the edge for me.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Just curious if anyone is like us and has it down to these two types of brands although three trailers. My husband is leaning towards the Aliner for tow ability but I am more towards the Cabin A or possibly the Trillium

Well as the owner of a Chalet.........and the *want to be EGG owner........I can answer some of your questions( I have camped in a Casita and LOVE it) The Chalet is very well built(1996) we have kept it in excelet condition. We have been in very hard wind and rain with ours without any problems......but the ones built today are built a little different,I have been told by other owners that they have had big problems with wind & rain and had to buy an extra add on storm package. IF you only camp with 1 or 2 people and spend a lot of time outside then aliner type camper would do. They are heavy and from what I see my brother-in law has a LOT more storage in his EGG. When we camp together he sets up in 5 to 10 minutes. We take 10 to 20 Oh and another thing is the canopy one the aliner type campers have to be put up somewhat like a tent every time you use it. .........What will you Tow with ? What size Egg are you looking for? I ask because some eggs weight less than my Chalet.

I hope this is some help to you ..........Oh one more thing ......the RESALE on an aliner type camper is not very good..........the RESALE on an EGG type is as good or more than you paid for it.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
I will weigh in on this one. I am an egg owner but my best friend has a new 2007 Alliner Cabin A with the expedition pkg and all the bells and whistles. She got every upgrade except the outside shower. I camp with her just about every time I go, which this summer, has been often.

What we have found wrong with the Aliner.
1. The front storage compartment sweats profusley getting everything inside wet that was put up dry.
2. It has a removable table that to eat inside you have to un-make the big bed.
3. Her observation is that it is not as "user friendly" as my egg. Even with larger size and head room, when inside, you seem to have less usable space.
4. Biggest is she dropped the transmission in her 6cyl SUV even with tranny cooler, brakes, swaybar stuff that were all installed professionally and she was dealer (SUV, Aliner, & Camping World) assured that it was matched for the pull and OK.

My vote
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
thank you SO MUCH to all who have replied to my queries---it has been very informative reading everyone's experiences/opinions. we went back (a 2 hour drive) to the dealer where we saw the Aliner Cabin A's as well as stopped where we had been informed by garfield ross that we could see and/or buy a new trillium. wow~!
we were VERY impressed by the trillium--it was a 2004 model that seemed roomy (we are not tiny folk) and functional. when we compared this to the Cabin A, frankly, I can only describe the Cabin A in one word--cheap.
Of course, purchase price isn't cheap--but I found the quality of the cabinets, the windows, the inside wallboard/wallpaper seemed very low. I looked underneath the darn thing and was incredibly dismayed to find that it was only some kind of wooden boarding, and believe it or not, the vinyl covering was STAPLED onto it, and only about 1.5 inches in!! most of these staples already seemed to be rusted, as one would expect, and this trailer was not even off of the lot yet!!
our decision was then made for us--of course, it would be the trillium, hands down! however, we are now having more dilemnas, as the owners manual for our car (acura) tells us that we can't tow anything above 1000 lbs...if we abide by their stats, we will only tow an empty utility trailer, and even then, gingerly!!! we are sooooooooo confused, our heads are reeling. who do we listen to??? the car manufacturer ....the hitch guys...or the trailer guys..all of whom have divergent opinions!!!???? HELP!!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Believe your owners' manual. Your Acura will not tow a Trillium. I'd advise against even considering it.

Frankly, you're better off finding a used cheap SUV, pickup or van that has a minimum 3500 lb tow rating (5,000 lbs is even better) and just use it for a tow vehicle than to try to upgrade your Acura to tow. You'll have spent a ton of money and still have only a modified vehicle that has a tow rating of 1,000 lbs.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
Hey Susan

This is Theresa's husband writing you back. Thanks for the info I am curious what you pull this trailer with, I am guessing some kind of truck with a bed attachment, how do you like this trailer, I think it is an Escape.

Dennis
Hey Dennis

I have a 1986 13ft Play-Mor II that I have pulled with a 4 cylinder Toyota Corolla, a 6 cylinder Ford Escape, and now a Toyota Tacoma 6 cylinder pickup. No special attachment or hook up.

The Aliner Cabin belongs to a friend that she pulled with a 6 cylinder Chrysler SUV (dropped trans.) and now she pulls with a Ford F-150 truck. No special attachment or hook up.

No Escape trailers here.

Susan
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium