Cable Cutter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cable Cutter

For 12 years we traveled with Dish Satellite TV. It worked very well but was expensive about $80 a month.

Our primary driver was Women's College Basketball. We have been fans of UConn basketball since I was a grad student at UConn. The UConn women have been in the national championship game 10 of the last 20 years, never losing in the finals.

We wanted to watch them one year and couldn't, that clinched Dish TV for us.

This year we dropped Dish TV and added the following over the Internet, NetFlix $8/month, Amazon Prime NC, Hulu Plus $7, CBS Online $6 and Sling box ESPN plus numerous other stations $20.

We will keep Sling Box because it show's virtually every UConn game but may drop some of the others due to a measure of redundancy between the services. None of them require a contract.

As well we have a small HDTV antenna for local channels. All comes over our Verizon Internet.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
How many GB do you burn in a month. We have a jetpack with a 10GB plan and have to really watch what we use otherwise we easily go overage.
I would love to ditch our satellite but more GB with Verizon would cost us more than what satellite is.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

Florida
Lyle,

We are fortunate to have an unlimited data plan on Verizon 3G. 3G seems like it's fast enough most of the time to deliver good quality video. I assume partially because fewer people are using 3G. In the first 13 days of the month we've used 22 GBytes mostly watching Netflix, it's new to us and we've been watching a series or two a night.

In a more typical month we've used 15-25GB.

There maybe some re-sellers that still offer high data plans on 3G though Verizon is not one, a good topic for the group.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
Your lucky to have an unlimited plan as they are going by the wayside. I do know that 3g doesn't use as much as 4g. Another hog is HD. Problem is we have all gotten used to HD and find it hard to watch standard definition anymore. Sports especially don't cut it anymore.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
Your lucky to have an unlimited plan as they are going by the wayside. I do know that 3g doesn't use as much as 4g. Another hog is HD. Problem is we have all gotten used to HD and find it hard to watch standard definition anymore. Sports especially don't cut it anymore.
Verizon has suggested I move to 4G but I'd lose the unlimited feature. I suspect they'll end it some day.

Some of the streaming sources are not as good as others, CBS Online and HuluPlus have not been as good on 3G as Netflix and Amazon Prime.

We purchased a smart TV this year with built in access to most of these though we still tend to run programs thru a Chromecast stick. Part of the Sling TV is a free Amazon Fire stick, I'll see how that works shortly.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #6

Florida
We received our Amazon Fire Stick today, free with a 3 month subscription to Sling TV. What we have learned is we now have more movies and TV shows available to us then we'd ever be able to watch if even if we became couch potatoes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16