Name: Mark
Trailer: Outback
Alberta
Outback vs. Sidekick Trilliums

Hey Roger,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Dave,
Did you notice that Trillium is no more?
I noticed in another discussion yes, but the business of concern here is not Trillium RV of Arizona, US, but rather "Outback Lightweights" of Alberta, Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
They are now Side Kick

They are made in Alabama, not Winnepeg.

trilliumrv.com
Interestingly the "Factory" is shown as in Alabama, but the "Head Office" is in Winnipeg. The company that has taken over Trillium RV is Winnipeg-based "Great West Vans", and the new management has consolidated manufacturing operations in Alabama.

The "Classic" Trillium comapny started in Ontario (The Trillium flower is the official provincial flower of Ontario-- see Critics stomp on new trillium logo - Toronto - CBC News which shows the old and new versions). That company also had operations or partners in Alberta and Manitoba until they became a casualty of severe recession in late 70s/early 80s.

The manufacturing assets ended up in the hands of two different operations. I think Joe in Calgary launched first bu I am not positive (he had been in business servicing Trilliums for some time before that as well if I recall). An ex employee/associate of "classic" Trillium in Winnipeg set up shop as well, but in the US (California, then Arizona I think). There has been dispute over the use of the Trillium name and logo over the years since then (and maybe the Ontario government took exception as well?), even though I think the two operations have actually cooperated at times in the past (bodies were sometimes cast in Calgary, then shipped to the US to be fixed to chassis and assembled/finished).

Curiously the only difference in the fibreglass components is that Joe had to fill in the Trillium logo on his molds as a result of the legal ruling on use of th logo, otherwise the fibreglass parts are completely interchangeable.

To differentiate, the Calgary operation, and the product is called "Outback". "Trillium RV" is the now defunct US operation. "Great West/Sterling" are the new company owning the US trailer operation.

Perhaps it would help to think of Trillium as no longer being a brand, but rather a particular type of fibreglass RV, since there are two different brands/makes: the "Outback Trillium" made in Canada and the "Sidekick Trillium" made in USA.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #16

Name: tanya
Trailer: Trillium Trailers
Alberta
Wow still cant get a hold of him! Might go and stop by tomorrow to drop the trailer off for him! Wish i can call and let him know!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHYYC View Post

The manufacturing assets ended up in the hands of two different operations. I think Joe in Calgary launched first bu I am not positive (he had been in business servicing Trilliums for some time before that as well if I recall). An ex employee/associate of "classic" Trillium in Winnipeg set up shop as well, but in the US (California, then Arizona I think). There has been dispute over the use of the Trillium name and logo over the years since then (and maybe the Ontario government took exception as well?), even though I think the two operations have actually cooperated at times in the past (bodies were sometimes cast in Calgary, then shipped to the US to be fixed to chassis and assembled/finished).

the "Outback Trillium" made in Canada and the "Sidekick Trillium" made in USA.
The two parts were actually working/building the trailers together for a number of years as Team Trillium here in Canada before they parted ways with one heading to the US & taking the use of the name trillium with him but not much else.

The Sidekick as it is/was called the first year of production (and still the name Trillium does not appear anywhere on it) has been entirely made in Canada for almost two years now but the company Great West Vans will be moving to the US later this summer. Prior to that the USA Trillium folks also had a Escape trailers here in Canada building them for a year or so before they started farming out the production of them to other US trailer manufactures.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #18

Alberta
The phones lines are still down!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraillerSquirrel View Post
The phones lines are still down!
Do they have email that works?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #20

Alberta
Try to email and nothing?? I want to know if we can take our trailer in to get it fix! We just bought it and used it once last week and we called last week and they said to bring it in so i wanted to call them to make sure its ok! But i cant get them and i don't want to drive the trailer down there just in case they are not there anymore!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Tanya, I can assure you that they are there. They have space to store your trailer. If you go during the day you will find Joe. If you are not comfortable towing your trailer there, then just take your self.
Do your live very far from their shop?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #22

Alberta
We are in country hills So not so far! I think we are going to bring it after work today!
Old 06-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #23

Alberta
Registry
They close at 5:00pm.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #24

Alberta
ok cool!!! Thanks so much!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #25

Alberta
TravelBug DId u get a hold of Joe yet?
Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Tanya if your taking it in today keep in mind it is a real long week-end for many here in Canada :-)
Old 06-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #27

Alberta
yup i know! We are not going to take it in till after the long weekend! The only problem we are having is the fuse box and the door is not line up! We are still going camping this weekend! Cant wait! Going to my boyfriend parents farm in calgary that is near the lake yahoooo! Cant wait
Old 06-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Tanya, The door will never line up. Trilliums have a flaw in the mold. But your problem is likely door sag. They do that. Just don't be surprised if the bar on the door does not line up with the belly band. That is just the way they are made.

Tags
trillium