California Dreaming - Malibu! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
We are considering at trip over to California to pay really high prices for gasoline, but to visit the Getty Museums located in Malibu as a result. I found this expensive RV park - http://www.maliburv.com/index.asp , but wonder if there are other campground or RV alternatives that are near the museums? http://www.getty.edu/visit/
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
We are considering at trip over to California to pay really high prices for gasoline, but to visit the Getty Museums located in Malibu as a result. I found this expensive RV park - http://www.maliburv.com/index.asp , but wonder if there are other campground or RV alternatives that are near the museums? http://www.getty.edu/visit/
There are several state parks and state beaches in the area. It really depends on what amenities you want.

Check here toward the bottom of the page: http://www.totalescape.com/destin/californ...wns.php?tid=272

Both Getty museums are great and highly recommended.

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Hi, Patrick,

There are a number of alternatives to the Malibu RV Park. A search on the website www.rvthereyet.cc/index.php will give you County, State, and private campgrounds in the Los Angeles area. Few of them are as convenient as the Malibu RV Park, nor as attractive, but they are definitely less costly.

That said,Malibu RV Park affords superb ocean views and sounds IF you insist on a site on the upper level.
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks guys! I do prefer $20 nights to $80 ones.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Just as an added FYI, last I heard you had to book pretty far in advance to get into the new and supersized Getty. Check into that!
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Just as an added FYI, last I heard you had to book pretty far in advance to get into the new and supersized Getty. Check into that!
It's the opposite, actually. It's the smaller Villa that is more restrictive. If you know the dates far enough in advance you can print your FREE ticket at home. Parking at both sites is $8.

The Center used to require reservations for parking, but that is no long required.

Pat
Old 06-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Looked like water/electric at Malibu was $52 or $62 and it looks like a great park.
We paid $35 at the state park last year with no hookups and I found the CA state parks are rough to get in during season. You have to make state park res 6 months out if it is popular at all, you won't get a res at this point if it is a popular destination. You can gamble and try and get a cancellation which is how we did it last year, but we were one of a very few that actually were admitted. If Malibu could make a res I'd sure lean that way myself.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #8

Yes, I have been cruising through the reservation site for SP around Malibu and they are booked in June for Fri/Sat nights, but weekdays are available. We had forgotten our lesson from visiting CA two years ago - don't go during the summer! But still looking and planning.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #9

Keep us posted on what u find, cause I'd like to run over there off-season this year...
Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Hi Patrick,
We stayed at Pt Mugu State Park, just west of Malibu, recently. Great place, convenient to the Ronald Reagan Library too. The lower campground is a line of parking spaces along the beach and the upper campground is a loop layout above the PCH in a canyon.

Unfortunately, I expect that's one that is full all summer unless you can get a cancellation.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #11

BTW, bring warm clothing!

I moved here from Tucson 32 years ago and I'm still cold. Here, at the beach, the ocean is our free AC. Inland, you'll want to shed the outer layers at mid-day, but always carry a sweatshirt or sweater with you. You will thank me later!

Pat
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #12

California appears to be full, well, at least at the beach. So we decided to use the rest of our Economic Stimulus check and stay at the Malibu Beach RV Park. Off-season is definitely the time to go to the coast, so we've learned our leason once again. At least we're avoiding the 4th of July!

I had vowed to get out of Arizona in June and by-gum I'm doin' it!
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #13

I did find this beach RV park, with quite a few openings! Then I zoomed out. My do I love Google Earth!
Attached Thumbnails
Dockweiler_Beach.jpg   LAX.jpg  

Old 06-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
I did find this beach RV park, with quite a few openings! Then I zoomed out. My do I love Google Earth!
That's Dockweiler Beach. It's under the departure end of LAX and across from the sewage plant.

On the plus side, you would have quick and easy (well, as easy as it gets around here) access to other interesting areas via either the Pacific Coast Highway or the freeway system. It's near the LAX light rail station, too, in case you don't want to drive around the city.

Pat
Old 06-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #15

GasBuddy! Since this trip will have a predetermined route and destination, I thought I might print out a few GasBuddy maps for stops along the way so I don't have to look around for the cheapest gas. May also just plug the locations into my GPS.

Here's a map for Santa Monica - although Arco is cash-only and I get a 5% discount (20 cents+) with my American Express card, but you can get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Noname.jpg  
Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #16

We're back! Had a great trip. Here's a picture from the Malibu Beach RV Resort, the only RV park in Malibu I believe, and they do charge for that, but a nice place. (Except for the ants. They have a large supply of Ajax in the store that people spread around their tires and other things touching the ground to try and stop the ants. We duct taped the electric cord opening!)

Man, the traffic in LA is something else! Sunset Blvd worked very well for E/W travel.

Temperature shot from RV park in Indio last week. Did someone here mention they doubted they really needed an A/C in these small trailers?
Attached Thumbnails
Malibu_Beach_RV_Resort.jpg   Indio_Temp.JPG  

Old 06-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #17

Now that's a campsite with a view!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Patrick M.

I had visited the Malibu RV Park some years ago expecting to visit a friend who was moving to the area (spending some time living in his 5th wheel) when visiting my wifes mother out there. But he was still in route when we stopped by. In 2006, we spend a few days at the Point Mugu State Park. We went to the Malibu Getty Villa. We did not have tickets, but talked with a man at the gate. With our out of state tags, he allowed us to enter. They keep a few tickets for out of state people. Several years ago we spend a night at the Leo Carrillo SP which is nearer to Malibu. We stayed at Point Mugu SP in June and did not make a reservation. We were in the parking lot style site. Leo Carrillo has a nice tide pool by it. We have stopped several time for the tide pool.

We have enjoyed the Getty's. Hope you enjoyed them. There is another museum in Pasadena which is very nice as well: The Norton Simon Museum of Art. http://www.nortonsimon.org/collections/

I would agree, the traffic in LA is something else! My daughter and her husband have moved to Tucson in May a year ago. We have spend some time there since and have found Tucson a few nice city, easy to get around in, great traffic flow. We like the place and they do as well.

She enjoyed the rain you were getting yesterday. Hope some of it will move over to Las Cruces.

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #19

We sent the rain from yesterday on your way! It was blowing and trying to rain where we are, but never did much. We had to see the flooding and hail that occurred in Tucson on the national news this morning!

We enjoyed our visit to LA, but would probably try to avoid the summer months in the future. Went to the Getty Villa, were "show enhancers"/audience members at the Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson, paid for lot parking at the WAY over-rated Farmers Market, drove down Hollywood Blvd, but mainly hung out at the beach along with thousands of our closest friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Malibu_Beach.jpg