California PTI trailer plate for 13' Scamp - any drawbacks? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2021, 04:29 AM   #41

Name: Don
Trailer: Trail mite
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I have had PTI on utility trailers and my 13' Scamp here in Calif. I can't think of a reason not to have PTI, AND I pay the extra for the 'Pink Slip" , or registration. But not on the utility trailers ; you can easily buy and sell small trailers with no 'Pink Slip", just a home made bill of sale.
But don't all you Calif Scamp owners Scamper to the DMV to change , I think it is only the 13 ' that qualifies. It may have to do with length, or with plumbing; I have been told anything with bathroom or plumbing' needs full yearly plate and Registration. So it is a bit complicated. ( I like Hondas too, here is one I used to take to Quartzsite and RT 66 )
Only one I would say is the original blue and yellow 6 digit plate looks pretty awesome. Mine is original issued. I skipped pti myself
Digger Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
thia thread is 4 years old, but let me clarify, California will issue a PTI for any trailer 16 foot bumper to hitch or shorter. So, Casita 16 applies, Casita 17 doesn't. There might be a weight limit but 3500 lb GWR is OK.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #43

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger Dan View Post
Only one I would say is the original blue and yellow 6 digit plate looks pretty awesome. Mine is original issued. I skipped pti myself
If you want to keep your blue plates but also have PTI, I believe the DMV offers a PTI sticker that goes on your blue plate.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:05 AM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Totally off topic, but does anybody else miss the days when you could identify the state from a distance just by the colors?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #45

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Totally off topic, but does anybody else miss the days when you could identify the state from a distance just by the colors?
I do miss that any many things from the good old days.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:39 PM   #46

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
License plates

Quote:
Growing up we spent a portion of many summer afternoons watching cars, license plates, manufacturing dates on rail cars, every one of Iowa’s 99 counties, Corvettes and B61 thermodyne single stack Mack’s with a flatwindow in the back. Vitalis Truck lines, there was a paint job. Living two blocks from US Highway 30 and about a mile and a half from the Chicago Northwestern mainline and having not a lot of money, but having a good bicycle wouldn’t trade it for anything now.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:39 PM   #47

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
when I was a kid, California alone had black w/ yellow plates (1963-1968) and blue with yellow (1969-1982), and there were still a few people running around with the yellow w/ black plates that they had used in the 1950s.

IIRC, prior to the black plates, license plates actually were supposed to be turned in every year for new ones, the year was stamped in them. with the black plates, they started using year stickers. the few yellow plates that were in circulation were probably cars that had been files NON-OP during that transition period, then put back on current registration some significant period later.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #48

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation California Vehicle Code Definitions: CMP & CCH

Camp Trailer (CMP)(CVC §242)—A vehicle, other than a motor vehicle, designed to be towed on the highway, capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes, that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and 96 inches in width. Where a trailer telescopes for travel, the size shall apply to the trailer as fully extended.

A tent trailer is a camp trailer. A camp trailer is not a trailer coach.

Travel Trailer—A portable unit mounted on wheels, of a size and weight that does not require special highway movement permits when drawn by a motor vehicle and for human habitation for recreational or emergency occupancy (California Civil Code §799.24).

Travel trailers that exceed the maximum length and/or width requirements for a camp trailer are trailer coaches (CCH) (CVC §635) and cannot be registered under the PTI program.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #49

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
If you want to keep your blue plates but also have PTI, I believe the DMV offers a PTI sticker that goes on your blue plate.
I kept the plate that was on my 13' Compact Jr. when I bought it (but not original) and just got the "PTI" sticker. I got a new "PTI" plate for my 16' Fiber Stream when I re-classified it from CCH to CMP.

Tags
scamp