California PTI trailer plate for 13' Scamp - any drawbacks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
California PTI trailer plate for 13' Scamp - any drawbacks?

Hello,
I've been reading various threads here about California allowing for PTI plates on a 13' Scamp.

I'm using this form:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...ms/reg/reg4017

My Scamp has the yearly tags (not due until June 2018), but I wondered if I should apply for the PTI plates? PTI plates would only be $10 every 5 years here in Calif. This seems like a great deal to me, and I'm wondering if there's anything I'm overlooking?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Nope, go for it, it's a great deal and saves a lot of hassle with renewing.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #3

California
Registry
At DMV now. Going on hour 3. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

California
Registry
California PTI trailer plate for 13' Scamp - any drawbacks?

Woohoo! Got the PTI!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Aah, PTI = Permanent Trailer Identification. Many of us thought you were referring to the Pittsburgh Technical Institute.

Some thought: Pardon The Interruption
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #6

California
Registry
Oops, should have been more detailed, you're right it is "Permanent Trailer Identification".

One thing you don't get with PTI is a title unless you request it. I did request it...guess I'm old school liking a title or pink slip as it was called back in the day.
$18 extra dollars, but that's okay.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I bought my trailer used about 5 years ago it had PTI plates. They stayed with the trailer in the transfer and I too got the paper title. So the system seems to work. I did all my paperwork at the auto club much easier than dealing with the never evolving California DMV.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You want the title, you always want the title! Oregon requires a title for a trailer. IF/when you go to sell, no one in Oregon would buy your trailer without the title... yes, I know there are ways around it, but make it easy on yourself and spend the few bucks now versus hours of headaches later.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
My Scamp has the yearly tags (not due until June 2018), but I wondered if I should apply for the PTI plates? PTI plates would only be $10 every 5 years here in Calif. This seems like a great deal to me, and I'm wondering if there's anything I'm overlooking?
Thank you in advance for any insight.

I have heard through a friends recent experience that the Ca DMV isn't sending out renewals for PTIs anymore. I need to verify that as I have three trailers with PTIs .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #10

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You want the title, you always want the title! Oregon requires a title for a trailer. IF/when you go to sell, no one in Oregon would buy your trailer without the title... yes, I know there are ways around it, but make it easy on yourself and spend the few bucks now versus hours of headaches later.
Oh, I definitely wanted the title and happily paid to have it.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I have heard through a friends recent experience that the Ca DMV isn't sending out renewals for PTIs anymore. I need to verify that as I have three trailers with PTIs .
I will be interested to know what you find out.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We lived in Illinois until Aug of '16. They had a trailer plate that was renewed annually. We would get the reminder in the mail and go down to the DMV and get our 12 month sticker. About one year before we moved to MI, Illinois stopped sending the reminders. It was touted as a cost saving measure. We didn't know about the change, and drove on an expired plate for an additional 6 months. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the revenue from the tickets you'd get for driving with expired plates would be the real reason.

In Michigan they issue permanent plates for trailers.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #13

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
In Michigan they issue permanent plates for trailers.

Tom
I'm curious, are the Michigan plates permanent until new ownership? In Calif., although they're called permanent, I will pay $10 every 5 years. I'm not complaining at all, very happy about it.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I'm curious, are the Michigan plates permanent until new ownership? In Calif., although they're called permanent, I will pay $10 every 5 years. I'm not complaining at all, very happy about it.
As far as I know, the plates are permanent only for the one who bought them. We sold our 13' and I called DMV to see if I can transfer them to the new trailer. I was told I would need a new permanent plate for the new trailer. The cost for a permanent tag is $75. That is a one time fee. Of course that is on top of the 6% sales tax.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:58 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I received and paid a $10.00 PTI renewal on 8/23/2017 so if there is a change in process its after that date.

You cannot renew PTI online with the DMV like you can with cars or trucks though. You have to do renewal at the DMV or mail in like always. I assume triple A can still do it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I received and paid a $10.00 PTI renewal on 8/23/2017 so if there is a change in process its after that date.

You cannot renew PTI online with the DMV like you can with cars or trucks though. You have to do renewal at the DMV or mail in like always. I assume triple A can still do it.
Ironic thing Steve, I got a PTI renewal today and was looking for this post to update my earlier comment....you beat me to it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #17

California
Registry
Good to know that notifications are still being sent. Whew, one less thing to worry about.

I have too many DMV plates as it is. Bike with Oregon plate in the photo was sold.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
P.T.I?

I have had PTI on utility trailers and my 13' Scamp here in Calif. I can't think of a reason not to have PTI, AND I pay the extra for the 'Pink Slip" , or registration. But not on the utility trailers ; you can easily buy and sell small trailers with no 'Pink Slip", just a home made bill of sale.
But don't all you Calif Scamp owners Scamper to the DMV to change , I think it is only the 13 ' that qualifies. It may have to do with length, or with plumbing; I have been told anything with bathroom or plumbing' needs full yearly plate and Registration. So it is a bit complicated. ( I like Hondas too, here is one I used to take to Quartzsite and RT 66 )
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0739.jpg  
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
plate

I Alberta it is $75.00 for the plate one time .To transfer to a different trailer si $15 .00 just did one .Happy Trails
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #20

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
( I like Hondas too, here is one I used to take to Quartzsite and RT 66 )
Nice! A Honda 70 Trail Bike. Same model I learned to ride on. My dad still has it!

Tags
scamp