California RV Show - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
California RV Show

I was slightly disappointed at the 63rd Annual California RV Show at the Los Angeles Fairgrounds yesterday. I was hoping to see the somewhat elusive Meerkat FGRV that was promised in the web advertising and the show guide, but the dealer that was supposed to be showing it claimed that it was at a different dealers location in the show and didn't know where it was at !!!! If any one find it be sure to let the rest of us know. Maybe it's hidden inside one of the many behemoths that were on display.....

But there were FGRV's on display and here are some pics of both of them as well as a very cool TV. Click on pics to enlarge
More non-FGRV pics in the next post.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20151011_100204951.jpg   IMG_20151011_100215341.jpg  

IMG_20151011_103040691_HDR.jpg   IMG_20151011_100531493.jpg  

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

And a few more pics.....The last Pic isn't me, but with a name like that he must be a great guy.... LOL

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20151011_100559285.jpg   IMG_20151011_121511396_HDR.jpg  

IMG_20151011_110909126_HDR.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Looks like somebody wrecked a GM Future Liner
Old 10-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #4

The display signs indicated that it was built by GM as a one off transporter. It was a bit confusing, but it was actually built in 1941, several years after the original Futureliners were built. Could have been from spares or maybe there was a damaged unit. That wasn't mentioned. Needless to say, anything done in 1941 didn't get seen much, if at all, until after the war.
But the curved stairs to the cab is about as cool as it gets. Driver sits in the center and there is a two person bench seat behind the driver

The antique truck on the back is all electric, with original, individual, motors at each weel.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #5

Texas
Registry
According to Wikipedia there were only 12 built and they toured the United States as the General Motors Parade of Progress. Very nice vehicles and I guess you noticed that the steer axle had 4 tires. There are a lot of pictures of these on the internet but this is the first one that I have seen that's been turned into a giant pickup truck.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Saw a Futureliner at a car show a few years ago that was all restored. One of the crew with it said you get a weird feeling driving it when you come to an overhead bridge because of sitting so high up. Said you get the feeling you want to duck your head. Rumor has it one was driven to Mexico as it was being used as a motor home, never seen again.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #7

I guess I should have captured an image of the information sign as well. I thought that the VDub trailer would have gotten most of the chatter and only included the Futureliner as it was sooooo cool. I'll ask someone going to the show to try to get more info for me.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

Here's a bunch of pics the transporter and it is suggested here that it was a later conversion. The owner is in Chatsworth CA if anyone wants to chase it down.Flickriver: Photos tagged with futureliner
Also google 1941 Future liner images.

Now if someone only knew where the 1954 Waldorf Corvette/Nomad went.....

Here's another pic of it in the show catalog, and a pic from the catalog showing the Meerkat that wasn't there. At the bottoms the ultimate FGRV, the Waldorf Nomad, 1954 GM Motorama

Attached Thumbnails
futureliner transporter.jpg   meerket.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Little guy trailers in San Diego carries the Meercat. I got a close up personal look at one while attending an auto parts swap meet in San Diego.

California Teardrop Camper & Meerkat Trailer Dealer | Little Guy Trailers
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #10

Yep, and Little Guy Trailers was supposed to have a Meerkat at the show, site 3022, and blew me off when I asked where it was at...he said it was here, but he didn't know where.... It was also supposed to be in the Exhibitors tent... will now refer to it as the "Phantom Meerkat".

Good to here thought that someone has actually seen one. did they mention a price and delivery time.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
At the auto swap I was at it was just parked as display. There was a posted price and referral to Little Guy but I didn't pay attention. It was much smaller than my 13 Scamp and perfect for the people going really lightweight. It was very basic but I did like the small pop top. Other than that I didn't take much note. There wasn't a salesman there but I think it was borrowed for the weekend by one of their employees and a stack of fliers went with it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The '54 Waldorf Corvette Nomad probably went to Warhoops junk yard along with many others of the GM Motorama cars. Guess Joe Bortz didn't get that one. It's an amazing story of what he did get though. I think at one time he owned two of the Futureliners. One of those Dub Box campers was just at a KOA campground in Vermont where we go for vintage rallies, but not the rally weekend. The KOA owner put up a couple photos of it. Looks like the tongue is real long, what did you think of it, Bob Miller
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

This may be the last word on the Futureliner above... It's for sale...
Only $1.5M

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...tml?refer=blog

Old 10-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The '54 Waldorf Corvette Nomad probably went to Warhoops junk yard along with many others of the GM Motorama cars. Guess Joe Bortz didn't get that one. It's an amazing story of what he did get though. I think at one time he owned two of the Futureliners. One of those Dub Box campers was just at a KOA campground in Vermont where we go for vintage rallies, but not the rally weekend. The KOA owner put up a couple photos of it. Looks like the tongue is real long, what did you think of it, Bob Miller

I think that it's well made and functional, but for $22,000 doesn't fill the job that other FGRV's do for less. If you look carefully , it's also built so it's towing backwards.

But if one wants attention and/or is a real VW nut it may be just the ticket.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
But if one wants attention and/or is a real VW nut it may be just the ticket.
Set up for camping ( see the pic ), it looks more like a pile of junk than a VW.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #16

Hmmmm... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just noticed that this one has the entrance on the left side, Brit Caravan style.... Didn't notice that at the show.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
This may be the last word on the Futureliner above... It's for sale...
Only $1.5M

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...tml?refer=blog
They restored one on a show on the Discovery Channel too. The Futurliner | Car Crazy | Velocity
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #18

Restored and completely intact Futurliners are selling in the $4-5 million range. There is a story of one in South America that was converted into a motorhome, and one in Sweden being restored. Of the 12 built, the whereabouts of 9 are known, 3 are still MIA.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #19

Texas
Registry
Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

SHOW UPDATE

I talked with my local RV dealer today, who had a major presence at the above mentioned show, and got the following sales info:

Tent trailers sold: a few
$300,000+ Motorhomes sold 5
Trends:
Large trailers (2 axles) UP
Small trailers (single axle) DOWN
Class "A" motorhomes: UP
Class "C" Motorhomes: about the same as last year
They do not have a line of FGRV"s (But who does?)
Total Units sold: 217

Ironically last years show sales were heavily tipped towards smaller trailer sales, this year towards the larger ones. (Gas Prices are Down - DUH!)

They are looking to move their service and Parts departments for this location to a larger facility to be able to handle the increased volume of orders.