California Towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
We are contemplating visiting Calif. in Sept and as part of the visit pulling our Casita form Santa Barbara to the Monterey area. Would like to use Rt 101 as the highway of travel. Is this road suitable to pull the Casita? I have read certain portions of Rt 101 are bare knuckle driving but I see to remember the input was not about this particular area.

Any advice on the entire highway from Santa Barbara to Oregon would be appreciated.

Martin
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Locals may have more to say but I think you may be confusing hwy #101 with Hwy #1. We did a trip this May, Hwy #101 on the Oregon coast, from Newport , Oregon to Crescent City and eureka California, parrallel to Hwy #101 there is the avenue of the Giants, which is windy, slower, through the groves of the redwoods. Hwy #101 itself , is four lanes. At Legget, hywy #101 continues south but hwy #1 winds its way to the coast and follows the coast returning to #101 just before the Golden Gate Bridge, it goes through part of San Franscico, we followed the signs, and then follows the coast again, four lanes busy highway Santa Cruz to Monterey. Hwy #1 Two lanes, and winding from Monterey to Cambria and The Heartst castle at San Simeon. This is slow , tourist traffic, winding, narrow, up and down. we were pulling a 13 ft. Compact Junior and the congested traffic and the narrowness caused some anxiety but we also saw long fifth wheels and long motorhomes on the road. The scenery was very dramatic. we missed this portion 15 years ago and I was glad to come back to do this section. One could stay at San simeon, and leave the trailer behind, and do the trip without towing, up and back, but , with patieince and a tow vehicle in good shape I do not think I would pass it up. I would not want to tow up and back in successive days.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Highway 101 runs through Eureka where we live. We have traveled up and down 101 from Oregon to SF many times towing our Burro with no problems. There are a few places that have a few miles of 1 lane traffic each way that is a little windey through the heart of the Redwoods but still nothing you can't handle. As far as 101 from SF to Santa Barbara I can not speak personally as I have not traveled that road since I was a kid. I can tell you that I have never heard of anyone towing or not that has not found it suitable.

If you are the Martin that helped a couple learn how to operate their new Kodak camera at the Bandon (Bullards Beach) gathering that camped right next to you a few years ago? If so, Berry and myself say hello and was wondering if you will be attending the Oregon gathering this year?

Ellen B.

BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Being born and raised in California this my input. I would recommend anyone to do the drive down or up the coast once in their lifetime. It is one of the best, dramatic sceneries in the world. There are many HUGE stickies who do this every year and make it fine. I would suggest you make sure your trailer is in working order. I will say this as well, DO NOT be in a HURRY. As long as you have time, enjoy the views, wild life, whale watching, Dolphins etc.

Hope this helps, have fun

Alexandra
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #5

KentI, you are correct I confused Rt 101 with Rt 1 - the road difficult scale that I was interested in was the one closest to the coast between Santa Barbara and Monterey. The Rt 1 north of San Francisco wasmy primary concern. Thanks for the input and clarifying.

Martin
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Highway 101 runs through Eureka where we live. We have traveled up and down 101 from Oregon to SF many times towing our Burro with no problems. There are a few places that have a few miles of 1 lane traffic each way that is a little windey through the heart of the Redwoods but still nothing you can't handle. As far as 101 from SF to Santa Barbara I can not speak personally as I have not traveled that road since I was a kid. I can tell you that I have never heard of anyone towing or not that has not found it suitable.

If you are the Martin that helped a couple learn how to operate their new Kodak camera at the Bandon (Bullards Beach) gathering that camped right next to you a few years ago? If so, Berry and myself say hello and was wondering if you will be attending the Oregon gathering this year?

Ellen B.

I am the individual that assisted you with the camera and the better half and I remember you guys for sure. Hope you are now a professional grade photographer. We really enjoyed both are trips to the Bandon rallies and had planned to do it again this year but family demands intervened. Maybe in 2010 but is a long way from the Savannah GA area. I will send you a private message if we come to a final decision to do a west and Ca trip this Sept.

Martin
Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
KentI, you are correct I confused Rt 101 with Rt 1 - the road difficult scale that I was interested in was the one closest to the coast between Santa Barbara and Monterey. The Rt 1 north of San Francisco wasmy primary concern. Thanks for the input and clarifying.

Martin
Between Morro Bay and Carmel the road is mostly two lane (some passing lanes and turn outs). There are a few tight hairpin curves - slow down and no problem.

The scenery is some of the most spectacular in the world. Take your time and enjoy it. Figure three to four hours with stops in that stretch.

Have Fun!!!

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
We are contemplating visiting Calif. in Sept and as part of the visit pulling our Casita form Santa Barbara to the Monterey area. Would like to use Rt 101 as the highway of travel. Is this road suitable to pull the Casita? I have read certain portions of Rt 101 are bare knuckle driving but I see to remember the input was not about this particular area.

Any advice on the entire highway from Santa Barbara to Oregon would be appreciated.

Martin
I think you're talking about [b]'Big Sur' and Highway 1. It's a two lane road. Drive slow ..... don't be in a hurry and enjoy the beautiful view.

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We would take and have taken HWY1. We have driven it South to North and North to South. We towed a '87, 20' Komfort Lite with a '70 Chevy V-8 auto 1/2 ton pickup 16 yrs old at the time (not me the pickup ) from San Simeon to Santa Barbara (in1986), and Santa Barbara to Monterey & on to Half Moon Bay in a 22' C-class Motor Home pulling a Geo Meto in '97. We also drove from Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara with a tow in a Ford Ranger pickup in 2004. I would take our Scamp any time. Just a road with some twists and turns and must see views. Take your time, keep an eye on the road, make stops, enjoy.

We were on our way to Canada in '97. We did most along the Hwy 1 (we took a side tour to Shasta Area then to Crater Lake). We were coming from Canada in '86 mainly on it (took a detour to Davis Area then down 101 to close to San Simeon then over to Hwy 1 then up to San Simeon then down from there). Hwy 1 is about the same all the way up into Washington State. The Big Sur is more than likely the most difficult of the drive. There are many Organ State Parks all along the drive.

If you go up towards Half Moon Bay, there is a neat lighthouse to see at the Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park. Half Moon Bay has a nice state beach with camping as well.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=533
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=531

Just up from Hearst Castle (see next paragraphy), we have gotten to see groups of Elephant Seals, very neat, once we got to walk down by them, between them, very neat but I am sure very dangerous. Seems to be fenced off now. But I am glad we got to do it. Lot of people doing it then. This was in '97. Just viewed them from turn offs/over looks the other trips last one in 2004 tent camping.

Hearst San Simeon State Historic Monument or Hearst Castle is located on the California Central Coast. Nestled in the hills at San Simeon, the Castle sits halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles and is approximately a five hour drive from either of these metropolitan areas (Approximately 250 miles). From Los Angeles - Take U.S. Highway 101 north to San Luis Obispo, then California Highway 1 north about 39 miles. (approximately 4.5 hours). From San Francisco - Take U.S. 101 south to California Highway 46, then west on 46 to California Highway 1 and north about 13 miles (250 miles total, approximately 5 hours). From Monterey - Take California Highway 1 South (about 93 miles) to Hearst Castle®. Please allow extra time for Highway 1 which is windy and narrow. Or take Highway 68 East to Highway 101 South then Highway 46 West to California Highway 1 North to the Castle, about 130 miles total.
A must see for the art and architecture. The San Simeon State Park is close by for camping as well.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/Default.asp?page_id=591
http://www.hearstcastle.org/
http://www.hearstcastle.org/tours/index.asp

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is located in Monterey at the west end of historic Cannery Row, just minutes from Carmel and Pebble Beach. Monterey is approximately 125 miles south of San Francisco and 360 miles north of Los Angeles. Look for the Monterey Bay Aquarium exit sign. Follow the brown Monterey Bay Aquarium directional signs to Del Monte Ave. On Del Monte, stay in the right two lanes past Fisherman's Wharf then through the tunnel to Foam St. Continue to follow the brown directional signs to Cannery Row parking and the Aquarium. The Aquarium is a unique place, a great place to see. Another must see. http://www.mbayaq.org/
The 17 Mile Drive to Carmel and Pebble Beach is a neat scenic drive as well. One of the most famous stretches of road in the country, this magnificent drive through Pebble Beach tours the dramatic Pacific coastline, offering spectacular views of native wildlife, colorful wildflowers, fabulous homes, world-class golf courses, and the famous Lone Cypress Tree. http://www.pebblebeach.com/page.asp?...=_17_Mile_Home
The Point Piños Lighthouse is located on the northern most tip of the Monterey Peninsula. The stone lighthouse was built 1855 on the point of land that marks the entrance to Monterey Bay. The building, lenses and prisms of the light are all original and the lighthouse is the oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the west coast. Open Thurs. - Sun. 1pm - 4pm. http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/calightho.../lh_ptpinos.htm
There are some neat bike paths in the area as well. http://www.mtycounty.com/pgs-parks/bike-path.html

North of Monterey at Moss Landing one can get some very good sea food. It is called Phil's Fish Market & Eatery. We stumbled on it in '97 when we were spending a night at Moss Landing State Beach which allowed Enroute Camping with self-contained RVs at the time. Driving around looking for a sea food place we found a small eatery on the side of a fish market over by the docks. It was great. In 2004, we went back. The eatery was enlarged, but the food was still good.
http://www.philsfishmarket.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/phils-fish-market-...2hIp0B_DYDe0vfQ

In Santa Barbara, we had good seafood at the FisHouse, close to the visitor information place near the wharf. Situated on Cabrillo Blvd across from East Beach and Stearns Wharf, the Santa Barbara FisHouse is a perfect destination for ocean-side dining, offering patio seating by an open fire pit. http://www.sbfishhouse.com/
There are also places to eat on the wharf with higher prices.

Photo of my painting Pigeon Point Lighthouse CA
Attached Thumbnails
Pigeon_Point_Lighthouse_CA.jpg  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
you can tow a casita through all of the 1 or 101. As a local that grew up right next to both of these roads north of santa rosa. No problem. there are only a few parts just past point arena and elk on the 1 that are windy, but all the corners are widened. keep in mind that they run single trailer big rigs up and down hwy 1 all day long(logging trucks). you will be fine If you take the 1 north from SF it will eventually become the 101 about 40 miles past Fort Bragg. If you wanted to be really adventurous you could take a trip up "lost Coast" that is probably the most beautiful area in northern California. Personally if i were going from so cal to Oregon i would not take 1 the whole way. its slow and even though its beautiful it will get boring. take hwy 1 from San Francisco to bodega bay. bodegas is worth staying over in for the night. after that jump over to Santa Rosa and take the 101 all the way up to clover dale. when you get to cloverdale jump onto 128 and take that all the way back to the coast( it will run right into hwy 1) then take hwy 1 north till it runs into 101 again. Right when you get back on the 101 there will be a place Called Standish Hickey camp ground. Its kinda loud with teens but it has one of the best swimming holes in the state. And the avenue of the giants bypass is cool. like i said if you research the lost coast that may be worth it as well. I've lived in this area all my life and don't even bat an eye for avenue of the giants or all the redwood groves but the lost coast is just amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
lost2.jpg   lost3.jpg  

curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Smile

Quote:
I have read [b]certain portions of Rt 101 are bare knuckle driving but I seem to remember the input was not about this particular area.
The "Bare Knuckle" portion of Highway 101 is the "Hollywood Freeway" part in Los Angeles between the [b]!!! Interstate-5/Interstate-10/Highway 60 interchange [b]!!! in Commerce, and Hollywood.

It is not for the faint of heart during rush hour.
The convergence of 4 freeways in one spot, with left-lane exits, is like taking your rig on a roller-coaster.
I have done it, and lived to tell about it.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #12

Red face

More tips on the route from Portland to San Diego:
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...amp;#entry91524
Old 06-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
As others have said there are areas that you need to slow down, But you will be fine. They take huge Tour Buses on Hwy 1 so the road is more than able to handle an egg.

Enjoy it!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #14

Quote:
The "Bare Knuckle" portion of Highway 101 is the "Hollywood Freeway" part in Los Angeles between the [b]!!! Interstate-5/Interstate-10/Highway 60 interchange [b]!!! in Commerce, and Hollywood.

It is not for the faint of heart during rush hour.
The convergence of 4 freeways in one spot, with left-lane exits, is like taking your rig on a roller-coaster.
I have done it, and lived to tell about it.
I did, just last fall with a screaming migraine headache! Talk ! I was toast by the time I got to where I was going............ Road Rage was not an issue, Rage at myself for getting myself in that mess was the issue.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Great Post, thanks to everyone contributing! We're taking copious notes.
We will be doing this from San Diego to Bandon here shortly and you have given us a wealth of info about some of the areas we'll be going to and thru and how to approach it.

If we see you at the Oregon Gathering then the 1 is doable....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 AM   #16

I really appreciate all the detailed information and input - just the type we were hoping to receive.

Thanks a bunch,

Martin and my Navigator.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #17

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:

Photo of my painting Pigeon Point Lighthouse CA
Wow Adrian, a travel guide and and artist! I like your painting and thanks for the info, Dave & I hope to do Hwy 1 in the near future.

Happy Trails,
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Quote:
I did, just last fall with a screaming migraine headache! Talk ! I was toast by the time I got to where I was going............ Road Rage was not an issue, Rage at myself for getting myself in that mess was the issue.
So how would you avoid that stretch? I have driven many times without towing (and hate every minute going thru LA) but will be towing from SD to N CA and beyond. I am wondering about where to go over the San Bernardinos (Cajon Pass then thru Tehachapi or Tejon Pass?) and the best way to avoid LA (up the 15 then cross over to 5 by way of Pasadena, I think it is 202?).

For those who have towed over both passes, which do you like better?
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #19

Anne, I am soooooo not the person to get you by passed/around that mess anymore! It's been 25 years since I was an expert at driving thru/around LA. I just screwed up way back and decided to just keep going, I should have taken Pear Blossom Hwy to avoid all of it or at least the middle of it. I was way toooooo far past pear blossom when I realized I was already dropping down Cajon Pass so I just keep going and then I got stuck in the wrong lane (or should I say the freaks wouldn't let me get over) on several good options to go around the mess as well as asked for directions from people who only know LA versus how to avoid LA. So I ended up the the middle of it all................... Years ago I could have gotten you around a lot of it. But it's been tooooo many years to analyze the LA road system. I am sure there are others who might be able to help you out. My only advise is hit it at 4 am to be at the front of the mess. (cause believe me they will be on your A$$ even at 4 am). Honestly I would NOT live like that! Those people are crazy! Life is toooooooo short to do that everyday! There is nothing there, not a job, not a home, not a person that would have me living thru that on a daily basis.
guess I have lived a quite/good life long enough to not want to do that routine anymore. Robin
Old 06-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #20

Red face

Tejon Pass?) and the best way to avoid LA (up the 15 then cross over to 5 by way of Pasadena, I think it is 202?).

I believe this would be the better route, it is the 210 off the 15 to get to Pasadena. The 210 will just turn into the 134 Ventura Freeway at Pasadena (to keep on the 210 one must make a turn off the 210, not too hard, nor does it slow you down much, but very hard coming down from the North, must turn off onto an off ramp which goes down to' I believe, only two lanes & your are underground or at least under freeways to do it. they had a bad accident in one simular last year where the 14 & 5 seperate/join with an huge fire in the underpass deal, not a place one would want to be), and the 134 will just change into the 101 (I don't believe it involves making a turn). At around Ventura or a little past, the 101 is also the 1. Stay on the 101/1 to you get to San Luis Obispo where 1 takes a turn off 101. Granted you miss the PCH (1) as it goes by Malabu to Oxnard, but traffic shouldn't be too bad this route if you avoid rush hours. Try to hit it around 9/10 am to 3 pm. Or hit it pretty early before 5/6 am or later 8/9 pm. It will keep you away from most of the LA mess.

I have used this route a few times, with and without a tow. Not from San Diego however. From the 15/210 area. I have gone up the 5, but I believe the 5 has more traffic and steeper grades to cross. I believe my brother-in-law has told me to keep off the 5 if possible. They live in Thousand Oaks.

Kathie, Thank you very much. Happy Trails to you as well.

Adrian