Camp Chef stove and oven inside Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #1

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Camp Chef stove and oven inside Scamp?

Anyone else seen one of these and wondered if it could be vented to the outside to be installed in their fiberglass rv?
I would love to have an oven and they are $169 at Cosco.
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I installed one in my last 2 boats. They work great! Talked about them on some boat forums and for the price they cant be beat! If it fits I say buy one. They also offer a model with 1 burner and a grill...but dont know if I would want to grill inside lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I have installed one in my Boler. The stove is well insulated with exterior temperatures on the sides and back not getting very hot, I left a 1" air gap on the sides and a 3" air gap on the back. The front and the door do get hot so make sure these have good air circulation.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post323097
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #4

Oregon
Good to know others have tried them. There are warnings on the box saying not to be used indoors. Did you find a way to vent the oven outdoors or do you just keep the windows open? By the way Ian, that is one fine looking camper in the pic.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
My m-i-l gave us an electric toaster/over with 2 burners on top.

Toaster Oven With Double Burners | Toasters + Ovens | Brylanehome

Not in the same class, but similar idea.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngrimm View Post
Good to know others have tried them. There are warnings on the box saying not to be used indoors. Did you find a way to vent the oven outdoors or do you just keep the windows open?
Any and all open flame appliances come with the warning not to be used indoors. Even your gas range at home says to use in well ventalated area.
The burners on this stove are no different than the original stove used in the Boler, just use common sense, have a window open and do not leave running at night.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I have one and yet to use it. They are not like a Mr Buddy (heater) which is like 99.8 percent burn off so I am not sure if I would use it inside myself. But if we don't hear back from you we will know not to. I seen where a guy uses it to cook in his house next to a open window but... Besides we don't use all of our brain cells anyway, right? Even a can of beer eats away at our egg head cells..
Just be careful if your going ahead and use it.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I wouldn't use anything that isn't vented to the outside without a window or door open for ventilation purposes. Obviously if you start feeling tired shut it off and go outside. I used on my last 2 boats and was very satisfied with it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I have installed one in my Boler.
I'm curious about the gas supply...does this stove run off the same regulated supply as the fridge and heater?

I ask because our trailers' regulators are typically 11wc and many outdoor-type appliances have different pressure requirements, or so I've been told.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Carl; how do you like that electric oven with cooktop? It got terrible reviews on Amazon, so we looked at a similar one made by Avanti which got great reviews on one site, and bad reviews on another, so it's impossible to decide which is best.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #11

Oregon
I imagine we have all used gas range tops which aren't vented other than a range hood. I'm just not sure about the oven which I'm guessing would give off more exhaust. The other thing is it may not be quite as obvious if I forget to turn it off. I saw a rectangular opening where I think exhaust exits the oven and was thinking I could run a duct to the wall chimney for the furnace since I don't have have a furnace.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #12

Oregon
Interesting. I just looked at the specs for the Camp Chef it has two 7500 BTU stovetop burners and a 3000 BTU oven burner. I was way off in assuming the oven would put out more exhaust than the burners, 15000 BTU both burners to 3000 oven. So unless I am wrong, the biggest worry would be accidentally leaving the oven on.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
They are not like a Mr Buddy (heater) which is like 99.8 percent burn off so I am not sure if I would use it inside myself.
There's nothing special about a Mr Buddy; that heater has an open and imperfect flame, too.
Shawn, I guess you don't use any stove or oven inside - including the built-in ones which come in RVs - because they all burn about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm curious about the gas supply...does this stove run off the same regulated supply as the fridge and heater?
No, it is portable and runs from a common one-pound disposable cylinder screwed directly into it.

Quote:
I ask because our trailers' regulators are typically 11wc and many outdoor-type appliances have different pressure requirements, or so I've been told.
True, permanently installed appliances for interior use run on propane at low pressure (yes, about 11" water column) from the trailer's regulator; like most portable appliances this one includes its own regulator which takes in propane at the much higher tank pressure (actual pressure depends on temperature).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:

Francesca
I have mine connected to the main gas supply for the Boler (20 lb tank on tongue with 11 wc regulator) I checked the specifications for the Camp Chef and the supplied regulator was listed as 11 wc. It works great with no issues.

The oven is fiddly to regulate, the burner is not on a thermostat so you need to adjust the flame to control temp. If you are not careful the oven will be at 400 deg. But it works great for morning muffins and pizza

Just remember when using any open flame appliance inside make sure a window is open and never leave it unattended.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Carl; how do you like that electric oven with cooktop? It got terrible reviews on Amazon, so we looked at a similar one made by Avanti which got great reviews on one site, and bad reviews on another, so it's impossible to decide which is best.
We've actually never used it yet. That will be an interesting question
to find out. Since I was never really in the market I haven't seen any
reviews on it. The wife made me include it in my camping gear so I
suppose we will find out on our next trip. I'll give an update as soon as
I can. The price was right since it was free.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
I have mine connected to the main gas supply for the Boler (20 lb tank on tongue with 11 wc regulator) I checked the specifications for the Camp Chef and the supplied regulator was listed as 11 wc. It works great with no issues.

The oven is fiddly to regulate, the burner is not on a thermostat so you need to adjust the flame to control temp. If you are not careful the oven will be at 400 deg. But it works great for morning muffins and pizza

Just remember when using any open flame appliance inside make sure a window is open and never leave it unattended.
Thanks, Ian- I couldn't find the w.c. specs online.

Also thanks for clearing up what I think is an important issue with this stove- if I understand you right, the oven doesn't have what would ordinarily be called a thermostat- heat is regulated "by hand", more or less, just as with a stovetop-type (or Dutch) camp oven.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #17

Quote:
I have mine connected to the main gas supply for the Boler (20 lb tank on tongue with 11 wc regulator) I checked the specifications for the Camp Chef and the supplied regulator was listed as 11 wc.
Thanks Ian - so the Camp Chef includes a separate regulator, which lets you bypass it and use low-pressure fuel... or it just tolerates low pressure into the regulator. My barbecue has a regulator on the end of the input hose running at the standard 11" W.C. so I could use low pressure fuel, although I would need to change hoses to skip the regulator.

The product web page for Camp Chef’s Outdoor Camp Oven describes operation from high-pressure propane but not low pressure, and I don't see any manuals there. Ian, did you bypass the regulator or just feed it low pressure?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Interesting. I just looked at the specs for the Camp Chef it has two 7500 BTU stovetop burners and a 3000 BTU oven burner.
That's normal: it takes less heat flow to keep an insulated oven cavity hot than to keep an open pot boiling.

Quote:
So unless I am wrong, the biggest worry would be accidentally leaving the oven on.
Sure, just as with a conventional built-in oven and stovetop.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Ian- I couldn't find the w.c. specs online.

Also thanks for clearing up what I think is an important issue with this stove- if I understand you right, the oven doesn't have what would ordinarily be called a thermostat- heat is regulated "by hand", more or less, just as with a stovetop-type (or Dutch) camp oven.

Francesca
I found the regulator specifications by cross referencing the regulator part number. Yes you are correct that the oven flame is adjusted by hand to regulate the oven temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Thanks Ian - so the Camp Chef includes a separate regulator, which lets you bypass it and use low-pressure fuel... or it just tolerates low pressure into the regulator. My barbecue has a regulator on the end of the input hose running at the standard 11" W.C. so I could use low pressure fuel, although I would need to change hoses to skip the regulator.

The product web page for Camp Chef’s Outdoor Camp Oven describes operation from high-pressure propane but not low pressure, and I don't see any manuals there. Ian, did you bypass the regulator or just feed it low pressure?
The regulator connects onto the back of the stove via a quick connect fitting. I removed the oven regulator and connected the low pressure trailer gas line directly to the stove.

I made a bracket to secure the stove to the cabinet, by removing 2 bolts I can remove the stove for use outside with a disposable propane tank.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #20

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I can read Brian! And I think the company "Camp Chef" is a great company. And if they say DO NOT use indoors I wont use indoors. You can do what ever you want. You can even have a camp fire indoors if you like. Good on ya. Camp Chef has went out of their way to help and I read the warnings on everything. That is my 2 cents! Live and let live.

PS, My Mr Buddy heater has a built-in oxygen sensor
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp