camp ground behavior - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
camp ground behavior

ok,,, this should be a sticker on some easily seen spot on everyones camping equipment,,,but clearly isn't.

i know you can't train people that just don't care how they effect others...but for the rest of us. that want to enjoy ourselves,,, and enjoy seeing our fellow campers enjoying them selves.... we should refresh ourselves on campground manors once in awhile.

so....
pick up your trash,,,and someone elses too. make it cleaner then when you found it.
don't dump dishpans or left overs on the ground.
i love dogs,,,pick up after yours or i will assume you forgot and place what i pick up in your car for you....( not really,,,but its a thought)
don't clean fish up wind of my campsite.
hold the music down, not everyone likes M.C. Hammer anymore.
laugh and enjoy yourself,,, but start quieting down when it gets dark. and when quiet time set by the park arrives, be quiet.
it is rude to pass threw someones campsite without permission.
do not,,, use foul language! ok, we can forgive a stubbed toe,,, a sliver,,, and accidentlyt chopped off foot, but children, and (forgive me i'm old fashion) women do not need to hear every foul word you have ever learned.
and lastly,,,if its dry out, be carefull just how much trail dust you kick into my dinner .
well,,,looks like common decency to me....whatcha think?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #2

Michigan
P.S. please add more, specialy your own pet peaves. that way i can learn how to be a better camping friend.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Please run your generator during generator hours. If the park doesn't have generator hours, please use common sense and some courtesy.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Here's a five pager that can add to what John posted: Rude camping neighbors
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

Michigan
lol i can see 5 pages of rude camper behavior as an easy list.lol and thats just so sad isn't it?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
I think everything goes back to the "Golden Rule." Think about how noise, light, and behavior affect you, and act accordingly. Honestly, most people are really good camping neighbors.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #7

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Unfortunately the people who need to read this will never be found here. Rude campers are so abundant they will sometimes ruin even the most far off boondocking sites. My pet peeve is that even when you pay for a nice spot in a park, the attendants rarely enforce any sort of noise rules. I am pretty live and let live so people can do as they wish as long as they are quiet about it.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Unfortunately the people who need to read this will never be found here. Rude campers are so abundant they will sometimes ruin even the most far off boondocking sites. My pet peeve is that even when you pay for a nice spot in a park, the attendants rarely enforce any sort of noise rules. I am pretty live and let live so people can do as they wish as long as they are quiet about it.
i will say i rarely have troubles in state and national parks. and when i do there is a ranger or campground host available to deal with it.
but those little thoughtless actions that slip by us all can sometimes ruin a day. say a carelessly tossed wad of chewing gum that becomes one with your carpet.
i guess thats my point, not so much to pick at bad eggs,,,but to look at what i can do to avoid being a bad egg myself.
and yes,,,that seperates us from the ones that really need to read this stuff .
but in scouting, as with all things we learn to lead by example. let me be the camper others learn from, and wish to emmulate is my goal.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Gee, nobody mentioned unruly, unsupervised, noisy children. My 2 girls (9 and 15) have asked me on more than 1 occasion if I like kids. My reply is "Only well behaved ones" which unfortunately is NOT the standard these days. Hubby and I refuse to be sat next to kids at restaurants or any other close quarters arrangement. I dont want to be camped next to them either listening to them whine and have them run through my campsite. My youngest has had her sand bucket/shovel taken and then broken by other kids, floaties/swim toys, dive toys, scooter taken, lost or broken. All the while parents dont even notice or dont care. To me undisciplined children make adults life miserable so why on earth would adults let kids run their lives and ruin it?? I've homeschooled my nearly 16 y/o since 4th grade and now my 3rd graders wants to start homeschooling next year not b/c she hates school, getting up early, the homework etc but b/c she cant stand how the kids act! What does that say about society when even my kids dont want to be around other kids, lol.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Gee, nobody mentioned unruly, unsupervised, noisy children.

Speaking of charming children , I have to relate a camping nightmare my friends recently had. They went camping at this remote, lakeside campground looking for a peaceful weekend. Instead they ended up with a weekend of camping hell.......... There was a family of charming children that ran wild all day long. And at night their parents proceeded to strap headlamps to the little darlings and let them run all night long (cause they could see with the headlamps ) I guess the kids were running thru campsites playing Marco Polo etc.

I am just thankful I didn't go on that trip, but I do know if I had, I would have ripped the heads lamps off their little heads and hid them somewhere on their parents body that the sun never sees Care to guess?

John, unfortunately your preaching to the choir. But we do feel your frustration.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #11

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
john---i thank you for posting this gentle reminder of camping manners.

we, too, have had our fair share of rude neighbours in parks...both private as well as public. as melissa said, there is one thing i harped endlessly on with our boys when we took them camping--DON'T RUN THRU THE OTHER CAMPSITES!....i absolutely hate that. and yes, we've had noisy, late-night party neighbours, neighbours who strew their stuff from one corner of their site to the next, often encroaching on ours and those most-favourite of neighbours, the drunks who seem also to be deaf, based on the volume of their music.
i have made complaints to wardens/owners/managers, spoken to the offenders, b*tched to other campers (not proud of that) and have even left once.
is there a magic solution? nope. not one i have found yet. i have recorded license numbers etc. but often i find that if there was adequate patrols throughout the park in the evening especially, alot of the disturbances would/could be avoided or eliminated. a cursory drive thru a park once an hour often doesn't cut it. parks that have people patrolling on golf carts, driving around every 15-20 minutes or so have alot less problems, at least, in my experience staying is such places. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #12

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
most people these days do not consider anyone else but themselves.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #13

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We look for campgrounds with full hookups and try to steer clear of tent campers and pop-up campers. I realize I am generalizing here and might be stepping on toes, but the worst behaviors I have run into are tent campers (One started his fire right next to our propane tank.) and popup campers. We also tend to avoid family-style campgrounds.

I am with you, Melissa. If I am paying for your meal, I will ask to be seated away from noisy children, despite the convenience of your waitstaff. We tend to frequent more expensive places to eat, because that is less likely to have noisy children. Same with campgrounds.

CindyL
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #14

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Never have done it but I've been tempted to put on Beethoven's 5th symphony very loud when somebody turned their rock "music" on loud. I like some rock but most I hear is just noise to my ears.