Camped next to generator this weekend. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Camped next to generator this weekend.

And it was pretty much a non-issue, really. We were boondocking at an event with one other trailer and several tenters. The owners of the other trailer were an older couple who needed their fans during the day as it was pretty hot and humid here in the North Florida panhandle. They ran a Honda in eco mode while at the trailer during the day. Our trailer was about 20-30 feet away from theirs with all the windows open and the fantastic fan on. I woke up in the middle of the night to see lightning flashing in the distance so went out to put the chairs and such in the truck under the topper so I did not have to pack wet gear. Upon going outside I was very surprised to hear their Honda. I had been sleeping less than 30 feet way with the windows open and had no idea it was running, our fantastic fan on low setting covered the gennys noise. I know there are strong opinions on the board about generators but all I know is I was not bothered in the least by the use.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
We were at Smokemont campground in GSMNP awhile back and some moron was running his "contractor" generator for as long as was permitted each day. He was as far away from us on the loop as he could be but it was still very intrusive. Was the talk of the campground, his ears must have been burning. OTOH, sometimes folks are not simply clueless but do stuff like this on purpose.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I get a kick outta the bozos that pull in and run one of those right away even though there's hookups. Just A..holes. ....bought it, brung it,better use it.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I get a kick outta the bozos that pull in and run one of those right away even though there's hookups. Just A..holes. ....bought it, brung it,better use it.
Maintenance run or test run... but of course if the run lasts more than 10-15 minutes then they should have their clown make-up on.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Test it at home...they normally have hookups and run em anyway...they're just jerks.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
And it was pretty much a non-issue, really. We were boondocking at an event with one other trailer and several tenters. The owners of the other trailer were an older couple who needed their fans during the day as it was pretty hot and humid here in the North Florida panhandle. They ran a Honda in eco mode while at the trailer during the day. Our trailer was about 20-30 feet away from theirs with all the windows open and the fantastic fan on. I woke up in the middle of the night to see lightning flashing in the distance so went out to put the chairs and such in the truck under the topper so I did not have to pack wet gear. Upon going outside I was very surprised to hear their Honda. I had been sleeping less than 30 feet way with the windows open and had no idea it was running, our fantastic fan on low setting covered the gennys noise. I know there are strong opinions on the board about generators but all I know is I was not bothered in the least by the use.
Glad you had a nice and enjoyable weekend.
I am not a generator fan but I appreciate that you posted your experience.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #7

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Generators

Having owned a Honda generator and doing lots of research prior to purchase, I found they have the lowest DB of any. Just traded in the big 3000W for the 2000W since I can lift the smaller one! Honda's are the best.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

Name: Daryl and Wendy
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
generators? should be banned

Quickest way to ruin a camping experience and location is someone else running a generator. Most often it is someone who packs a home bar fridge and a 'contractor generator' to keep their apple pie cool while they are gone for the day.

Personally, we're happy to have propane, batteries and buy ice from the store. We leave the sound system at home and are happy when the campfire guitarist is competent.

My hat is off to people who run generator that is quiet and unobtrusive. Thank you.

We were next to an RV that had a quiet onboard generator. They fired it up, made coffee, and shut it down. Mind, there is an discussion why they couldn't make camp coffee. But, my point is they were considerate in using a quiet generator appropriately.

I have plenty of experiences about seriously inconsiderate campers using 4000kw generators for no good and reasonable reason. For them I wish they come to their senses (to be PC)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl and Wendy View Post
My hat is off to people who run generator that is quiet and unobtrusive. Thank you.
We were next to an RV that had a quiet onboard generator. They fired it up, made coffee, and shut it down. Mind, there is an discussion why they couldn't make camp coffee. But, my point is they were considerate in using a quiet generator appropriately.
Yup, that's the way to do it just not at 7 am. Not everyone cares for camp coffee .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:54 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Most, not all, National Forest campgrounds here in Maine and New Hampshire only allow gens to run from 8AM till 10AM...for breakfast cooking and to top off batteries then again from 5PM to 8PM...for supper and again to top off batteries.
This rule again may or may not be enforced by the campground host but if your told to comply and don't you can be kicked out.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:46 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Had a guy with one of the outside entertainment centers next to us Saturday night, just as bad as a generator.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Camped next to generator this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yup, that's the way to do it just not at 7 am. Not everyone cares for camp coffee .
A pour-over is a simple way to do a good cup of coffee without power. Better than drip, perc, or cowboy coffee IMO. Easy clean-up and the only special equipment required is a cone holder. Non-coffee drinkers in the group can use the same pot of hot water for tea or cocoa.

So... what's worse than an early morning genny? It's a large diesel truck firing up and idling while the fifth wheel is prepped to break camp... at 5 am! Think slamming doors and hatches, whirring slide outs, backing and hitching, accompanied by the continuous rattle of a big diesel. Grrr...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A pour-over is a simple way to do a good cup of coffee without power. Better than drip, perc, or cowboy coffee IMO. Easy clean-up and the only special equipment required is a cone holder. Non-coffee drinkers in the group can use the same pot of hot water for tea or cocoa.

What's worse than an early morning genny? It's a large diesel truck firing up and idling while the fifth wheel is prepped to break camp... at 5 am! Grrr...
No matter what, if you camp at a state campsite or a commercial you will have something running, chainsaw, mower, backhoe, clean up crew for bath rooms, trains, highway noise, whatever. You want pristine quiet, go where there are no people, but i enjoy the company, conversation, and the something in common with others. That why I say , oh well, it`s OK. My thoughts. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #14

Name: Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Every once in awhile there will be someone who runs a generator because of medical needs. But I agree that the sound is obnoxious. If a car can be muffled to the point where you can barely hear it, why not a generator?
threepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The State and County parks in my area have a simple rule
NO GENERATORS unless there is a medical need (Verified) and
, there are no sites available with electricity and the Park Ranger approves and only during limited hours.
In years back people would camp on sites without electricity to save the $5 a night charge and then subject everyone else to the joy of listening to their generator roaring away 24/ 7.
If people would be considerate of others, and not just think of themselves these restrictions would probably be unnecessary but that's never going to happen.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The small, 1,000-3,000W Inverter Generators are already as quiet as current technology makes practical and are usually quiet enough they don't bother most people unless they are right next to you. If technology allowed them to be made quieter in a practical, affordable way you can bet they'd be on the market already.

Walt
Old 05-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl and Wendy View Post
Quickest way to ruin a camping experience and location is someone else running a generator.
While I don't want to listen to inconsiderate people's generators, I find barking dogs just as annoying. And I would disagree, for me, the quickest way to ruin a camping experience can be attributed to Mother Nature, specifically a long rain event or very cold, windy weather.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Guess the way around it is to find the campgrounds that fits your wants.
As said I can go to the National Forests and have quiet most of the time or got to others that allow generators all the time or I could go to a private campground where there will be movies and dances and rec programs going on from dawn till midnight.
We all camp for different reasons and, being a host/manager in a small campground I understand it...convincing others to have a bit of respect for others is the hardest part of the job....Add a six pack of beer (or more) and I just ask them "do you want to sleep on your site tonight or somewhere else"...99% they get the message.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #19

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Quiet generator.

I Have the new generac I Q 2000. It is actually rated a little quieter than the Honda. I usually do boondocking out in the boonies. If I should get neighbors, I always respect them and only use the generator when necessary. With a propane cook stove and some solar, I hardly ever use it. A stainless steel or old corning stove top percolator makes great coffee. Also, I never take a entertainment center. I really enjoying listening to nature or talking to the neighbors. I do realize though, that there are an over abundance of extremely rude and hateful people.
eagle of flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've seen all kinds of generators running in campgrounds. The worst was a home made using a lawnmower engine. It was so loud that you could hear it a half mile away.
The quietest I camped alongside was a Yamaha genset that the owner kept at the far end of his trailer. I had to walk up to it to hear it. That is until he turned it off, then I knew he had been running it.
Point. Event the lest noisy produce a noise. People talk about other noises but most of those come and go. It's the steady noise that's bothersome. Many of us try to get away from city or suburb noise to relax. It's been proven that the steady noise of city life has a negative effect on your body. Again it's not the occasional noise of a siren but the steady drum of traffic. I appreciate places that restrict generator use to just few hours and those that use the quieter generators if they must use a generator.

Tags
generator