Camper fridge or oven? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler
So. I installed a camper fridge in my boler. AC/DC model no gas. In cooler weather it works fine. BUT. Here the temperature is hovering around 100 degrees F and the coldest my fridge will get is about 50 F. Is this typical of a camper fridge? And if so. Its not much good in summer which was the whole purpose of a fridge. Will installing a fan in the top vent help cool the inside of the fridge? I would think so but what do i know? This particular fridge has a pump or motor which comes on at a preset Temp and shuts off like a regular household fridge. Seems pretty lame to only get 50 degrees out of it. .

Im not impressed.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I haven`t put a fan behind the fridge but others have and swear by it....I picked up a 12V square muffin computer fan at Princess Auto a couple years ago for about $4 and it is just sitting around......maybe should put it in to help the heat from the condenser coils exhaust thru the upper vent.....and possibly buy a same type fan that runs on D cells for inside the fridge to circulate the cold air...that`s supposed to work well also....they`re talking about it in a previous post also....Benny

Old 07-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
the vent fans really help in lill- trill i think it was a 4 or 5 inch box fan 12 v i had put an on off switch inside. With the casita i took the 150 dollar fan on a thermostat option . i think i could have built one for a whole lot cheaper it seems like it wants to run just about all the time lol.
the battery fans that west maine sell help air inside . but the price is very high hunt around re you might find a great price on one . a while back i saw them for 4 dollars in a bargin bin at northern tool but i was in a hurry that day and when i went back a few days later they where gone.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I haven`t put a fan behind the fridge but others have and swear by it....
....they`re talking about it in a [b]previous post also....Benny
Previous Post Link
Quote:
AC/DC model no gas
I don't see how it could hurt.
I have both; the little D-cell battery operated one inside, and now the exterior one at the top of the coil to help exaust heat out. That one is wired up to the House Battery through a switch.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #5

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Colin, the key to keeping an ammonia-absorption refrigerator working at peak efficiency is air circulation. If the hot air can't vent out the top, adequate cool air can't carry off the heat where it needs to.

The standard two-vent side vents on a small trailer are adequate until it gets hot. Many of the later model trailers now have a single side vent with the exhaust through a vent in the roof of the trailer. That's a much more efficient method of using the natural convection properties of hot air.

The posters above have hit on an idea that makes a lot of sense; adding a small fan to help move the air over the tubing on the back of the fridge. I've seen them installed where they blow onto the tubing, and I've seen them as exhaust fans in the upper vent to help pull the hot air out and suck cool air over the tubes. They both work very well to help the fridge to cool when the ambient air temp is high.

FWIW, none of the fridges work as well with the electric heating element as they do with gas, but they should all be perfectly adequate on 120v AC with a little help from a fan.

If you've installed something other than the standard ammonia absorption fridge, then you're kind of on your own... I doubt there are many folks here who have anything but either a standard dorm-style 120v AC unit, or the standard ammonia absorption fridges from Dometic or Norcold. You mentioned that you have a compressor or something that cycles... and ammonia absorption fridges don't have anything but a heating element and are absolutely silent when they run.

Good luck, and tell us what you figured ought!

Roger
Old 07-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I had to put a small fan behind my Norcold compressor fridge that I had in my bus conv. ....on the old GM motor homes that used the same fridges, they put in an exterior side vent to help dissipate the compressor coils heat after they found that the fridges were heating up and melting the ice cubes while on the road.....suppose that the best would have been to duct out the roof, as the never rigs have done......Benny
Old 07-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:
I had to put a small fan behind my Norcold compressor fridge that I had in my bus conv. ....on the old GM motor homes that used the same fridges, they put in an exterior side vent to help dissipate the compressor coils heat after they found that the fridges were heating up and melting the ice cubes while on the road.....suppose that the best would have been to duct out the roof, as the never rigs have done......Benny
Yup. This is a norcold compressor fridge out of a conversion van. I have a few fans in the mustang that i dont use anymore . They were used to cool my 2 amplifiers in the trunk when i was into big stereo systems. They should fill the bill. I will let you know how it turns out.

Tags
fridge