Camper insurance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #21

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
No title

I’d be very leery of doing this, unless you get all original and subsequent purchase documents from the current owner so you can trace it back to its original owner ((Casita company) If you ever sell that trailer in Massachusetts, a new owner might have to have a title to register it, get a loan for it, or register it in his state. You could be stuck with a trailer you cannot sell.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #22

Name: Glen
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Delux ...sold
Texas
My casita is titled in Texas and I went to the DMV to register and pay the taxes when I bought it from the previous owner. I did have insurance through Foremost (pretty expensive in my opinion). While I did have a bill of sale and the original title I did not disclose this information on the bill of sale since they did not ask. I declared a value and they accepted it and that's what I paid sales tax on.
glens2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #23

Name: Bill & Sherry
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Our vehicle insurance doesn't cover RVs either. They referred me to Progressive, and they've been great, though we've had no claims knock on wood. For our 17" Casita trailer we pay $207 annually/once per year in WA State. Can't complain about the rate at all!
Dogtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtree View Post
Can't complain about the rate at all!

Can't actually make any determination about the rate without the details of the coverage.
In addition to the $288 CAD shown, I paid another $100 CAD for my tag and $3 million CAD liability.
Attached Thumbnails
insurance 2019.jpg  
Old 07-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Insurance rates are highly variable and depend on many things: company, state or province, location (urban, rural), credit rating, claims history, other coverage from the same company...

Only valid comparison is with other quotes from different carriers for the same coverage.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #26

Name: Ned
Trailer: Scamp
RI
In Rhode Island you have a very short length of time to pay the sales tax. If you miss the deadline there is interest and a penaltiy. It must be the same in Massachusetts.
Ned Scamp 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #27

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Thanks everyone. Turns out in Mass you have to have an actual Massachusetts insurance agent write for a trailer policy. After much hassle, my local agent figured out how to get tow vehicle and trailer covered through Arbella for a good rate. (May she be blessed!) Actually less for the same coverage on the TV than I was paying and around $225 for the trailer. So I'm all set, insured, got the car registered and the plate is screwed on. Whew! Big learning curve on all this. And the sales tax was definitely a shock. Ah well, going to full time. All this is much less expensive than living in Mass.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #28

Nevada
Registry
I bought my Casita in Arizona and drove it back to Nevada. The seller was kind enough to let me “borrow” his tags to tow it home. I mailed the tags back to him as soon as I got it registered the following week. You can also get temporary tags from the DMV prior to picking up the trailer, at least in some states.
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shullj View Post
The seller was kind enough to let me “borrow” his tags to tow it home.

The seller was dumb enough to let me "borrow" his tags to tow it home.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
one of the cool things I saw on our progressive trailer insurance policy was an optional item we can buy for mexican coverage.... this still requires you to get actual mexican insurance, but if anything happens to your trailer or tow vehicle while its in mexico, progressive will provide transportation for the covered trailer back to your home town, rather than trying to have it repaired locally where ever you've broken down.

we're thinking of a mexican trip for the 2024 total solar eclipse...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote