Camper Potty Question - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #1

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I have a porta potty in my 16 ft Scamp. Even though I use the deoderizor in it, it still smells after a day or two. (#2 smells really bad even a day or so later)
I am wondering if you can smell that smell in a full bath model Scamp if using the holding tank and not hooked up to dump as you flush, but hold contents under the toilet?
Still thinking full bath next camper, but wondering if the smell would still be there (toilet next to side dinette (pew??).
No sence in getting a full bath if it will still stink up the camper!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Trail Michigante 1972
Quote:
I have a porta potty in my 16 ft Scamp. Even though I use the deoderizor in it, it still smells after a day or two. (#2 smells really bad even a day or so later)
I am wondering if you can smell that smell in a full bath model Scamp if using the holding tank and not hooked up to dump as you flush, but hold contents under the toilet?
Still thinking full bath next camper, but wondering if the smell would still be there (toilet next to side dinette (pew??).
No sence in getting a full bath if it will still stink up the camper!
I HOPE U USE WATERIN IT ALSO CLEAN IT OUT WITH CLOREX RINSE IT OUT GOOD SHE SHOULD BE SWEET

Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I tried a lot of different things in my potty, but most of them failed to some extent during the hot summer months. Then I found RV-Tec 100 liquid. It is safe (but very strong) AND it works! Best of all, you can buy it at Wally World and it's not that expensive. Although my toilet is built in, I don't know why you couldn't use it in a porta potty.

Oh, and it IS safe for Septic systems.

RV Tec 100
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #4

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Karalyn,

I don't know what you use, but I use the stuff from wal-mart as well. It also comes in a container of green dry crystals. It's advertised as non-formaldahyde, and septic-safe. I've begun using the green crystal version in both of our trailers and in our porta-potty when we use it for winter camping as we did last week coming home from Spokane. The stuff works great, and I don't have any odors from the holding tanks. The crystalline version won't freeze and can be stored in the trailer year-round. It looks like an Enviro-Chem product. I use Enviro-Chem when I buy liquid.

Roger
Old 03-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
The black water tank in my front-bath Scamp 16 doesn't usually smell at all, as it is vented to the outside of the trailer. I don't regularly use treatment in my holding tank, except during the warm summer months when the contents of the tank get 'ripe'. I use full hookup campsites when they are available, and rinse the black tank very well.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 03-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #6

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
no smell in my Casita
Old 03-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
We restrict the porta-potti to liquid waste. We use gas stations and rest stops along the road. Only in a dire emergency do we use the potti for solids and when that is required we empty and rinse the unit soon afterwards. The chemicals can keep the potti smelling fresh under these conditions.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I haven't noticed any smell from the bathroom of our B1700, but I think Dan has an important point: the built-in black tank vents to the outside via a pipe to the roof, just like a home installation. A portable toilet can't do that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #9

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I use the powdered wally world stuff in my little PP. Campa-Chem, I think it's a Theford product.

I have not had any escaping odors, but.. it can get nasty when I open the trap for use, if I have consumed lots of garlic (I know.. indelicate, but.. it's true)

I use an excess of the chems tho. one packet per pot, and I think the packet is intended for a larger holding tank. The stuff is cheap enough, it doesn't seem to be a bother.

I also don't change unless its full. The pot can sometimes sit for weeks without a change. No troubles.