Campers Killed In New Mexico - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Campers Killed In New Mexico

I almost wish I had not seen the headline that lead me to this article on a couple killed in New Mexico by escaped killers, as the event is so rare that it has not been a concern for me, but the fact these people were my age, and were dry camping in New Mexico heading to Colorado, something we're doing next week, hit home.

Stay safe out there.

Truck, trailer in New Mexico homicide case registered to Tecumseh couple | NewsOK.com
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Up here where I live we have same situation. MH found burned and the old couple missing. Its been over a month now and no leads as to who did it. They do have a person of interest in jail.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Alber...#ixzz0tTwhupqR
Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
The world is a dangerous place, especially because of human animals. Violence can happen anywhere. 911 is a farce foisted on the public. When seconds matter, the police are minutes away. I urge everyone to be vigilant and aware of their situation at all times. If you are nervous, packup and leave. If a quick departure is indicated, leave behind any possessions that are out of the vehicles. I recommend people consider self-defense, but acknowledge that for some people and in some situations that may not be possible or appropriate. I encourage everyone to obey all laws regarding self-defense. I prefer concealed carry, but obey the local laws. This leaves me with a major conflict when wanting to enter military bases and facilities. I have several less than ideal options to resolve that conflict.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #4

We may never know what transpired when these two people were killed, but they were both concealed-weapon permit holders, so they probably had weapons with them, and they had dogs of some type. They may have been caught outside their trailer, or opened their door to "friendly" people at their door.

The bottom line is if you're camping in an isolated location, you just have to be extremely cautious with those "human animals" who may drop by.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick M. View Post
We may never know what transpired when these two people were killed, but they were both concealed-weapon permit holders, so they probably had weapons with them, and they had dogs of some type. They may have been caught outside their trailer, or opened their door to "friendly" people at their door.

The bottom line is if you're camping in an isolated location, you just have to be extremely cautious with those "human animals" who may drop by.
You know I've never been leary of traveling solo but have in recent months I've had thoughts that the economy be might cause of some nefarious goings on at campgrounds whether isolated or not. I realize that your article was about escaped killers however times are a little troubling now.

We all need to be more cautious than ever before.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis F. View Post
The world is a dangerous place.
Violence can happen anywhere.
A lot of this kind of thing is not really new, we are just not used to it affecting us. We thought these things happened somewhere else to some other people. The increased access to more information is what's new.

Many situations develop very, very quickly. I doubt this couple had any real time to react in any way...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #7

Registry
I agree with Frederick. These things do happen, but we have more access to information.

In the early 90s, something similar happened to a couple outside Flagstaff, Arizona in a fairly established lakeside campground. Very random.

But when you really think about it, it was a crime of opportunity. At that moment, it was "wrong place/wrong time". 99.9999% of the time, that couple would have been safer out there than they might have been in a nice suburban neighborhood.

I also have a concealed handgun permit, and carry far more frequently than do a large percentage of permittees...and know full well that there's a huge gap between having a permit------------------and------------------------->being aware and ready to defend yourself. Right now, for example, my handgun is locked in a safe in a room on a different floor, because my waistband holster makes my Spongebob Squarepants PJs fall down.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
According to today's news, they are looking for the suspected killer(s) in Yellowstone National Park.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
According to today's news, they are looking for the suspected killer(s) in Yellowstone National Park.
The Media up here in Canada are warning campers in Alberta & BC. They are concerned that they might get across the border.

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richter View Post
The Media up here in Canada are warning campers in Alberta & BC. They are concerned that they might get across the border.
One of them's been caught. One is still at large--the remaining suspect's fiance/cousin assisted with the breakout and is also wanted. I guess a third convict that was running amok with them was also busted some time ago.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele B View Post
One of them's been caught. One is still at large--the remaining suspect's fiance/cousin assisted with the breakout and is also wanted. I guess a third convict that was running amok with them was also busted some time ago.
He's engaged to his first cousin?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Are you sure this wasn't in West Virginia? LOL!
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post

true trailer trash

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1700
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Al Nelson
That's scary, We camp often overnight in the Santa Rosa area on our way to and from Mexico. From Santa Rosa to Vaughn is a long deserted stretch.
Al
Al Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #15

Registry
Yep, I was in Montana from last Thurs-Mon, shortly after a confirmed sighting of the couple near Billings. Along Highway 200, very near where I have family (and on my travel route) there was another unofficial sighting. Everybody's kind of uneasy about it.

The way I see it, there are the creeps we know about, and the ones we don't. The latter outnumber the former, so it's always a good idea to use common sense when traveling.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele B View Post
Yep, I was in Montana from last Thurs-Mon, shortly after a confirmed sighting of the couple near Billings. Along Highway 200, very near where I have family (and on my travel route) there was another unofficial sighting. Everybody's kind of uneasy about it.

The way I see it, there are the creeps we know about, and the ones we don't. The latter outnumber the former, so it's always a good idea to use common sense when traveling.
Great words of wisdom. I think one of the best things one can do is to work at being VERY AWARE of what's going on around you. I think I've slipped a bit in this area, but am working to ramp it up again. Used to be I saw and heard and felt everything.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
Captured 08/19

Escaped Arizona prison inmate, fiancee captured
By FELICIA FONSECA and PAUL DAVENPORT (AP) – 32 minutes ago
PHOENIX — An escaped state prison inmate and his fiancee who have been on the run for weeks were captured Thursday in northeastern Arizona, officials told The Associated Press.
Details were sketchy and Arizona authorities scheduled a news briefing late Thursday night to discuss the capture of John McCluskey and Casslyn Welch, who also is the inmate's cousin.
Officials in Apache County, Ariz., confirmed the arrests to the AP

Captured in Gabaldon Campground in Arizona.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/recreat...gabaldon.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick M. View Post
I almost wish I had not seen the headline that lead me to this article on a couple killed in New Mexico by escaped killers, as the event is so rare that it has not been a concern for me, but the fact these people were my age, and were dry camping in New Mexico heading to Colorado, something we're doing next week, hit home.

Stay safe out there.

Truck, trailer in New Mexico homicide case registered to Tecumseh couple | NewsOK.com
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #18

That's good news. I understand he was in his sleeping bag when the police arrived, all thanks to a ranger who saw an unattended fire.

We are in Santa Fe and on the way to Colorado and Utah so very happy to have these particular campers removed from showing up at one of our future campgrounds.

And what pieces of human trash they are. I hope I live long enough to see the three of them get a needle in their arms.
Quote:
authorities said that McCluskey expressed regret at not having killed the U.S. Forest Service ranger who led to their capture.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #19

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

I have been through the campground these jerks were captured in! I always wanted to stay there, but its a horse camp. Spectacular views of the white mountains in there.. very isolated.

I guess it would not have been such a great thing after all.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #20

Leaving tomorrow morning to camp in that area of Gabaldon Campground
but closer to Big Lake. Glad they got them.
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote