Campers under the 2000 lb. tow limit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
On our Scamp 13 we leave the bed down and have converted the front couch/bunk bed to a drop down dinette. This has worked well for us.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Best if you get into a Scamp 13 somewhere and sit in it awhile to see what you think. No one can make that call but you. Personally it's a little too closed-in and crowded to suit me, but others like it fine.

You could contact Scamp to ask for names of people near you who have agreed to show their trailers. Or attend one of the many egg gatherings, where people are usually happy to show off their trailers, and you can see many different brands and sizes while you're at it.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
With the new ceiling height in the Scamp 13 I think it is a possibility.

We would feel very closed in if we had the 13 with the bath. The porta potty works fine. Can't imagine someone over 6 feet wanting to use a Scamp enclosed bathroom!

If you go to a gathering be sure to keep in mind that older Scamp 13s do not have the headroom the new ones do.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Welcome to the group

As you have seen, you have a tough order to fill. Staying under 2000 lbs and having a bath and a fixed dinette is not just limiting, but next to physically impossible.

In looking at the real world weights you can see that mfg. weights often are of little use as they are based on empty trailers without any accessories installed.

And, yes, the 13' scamp with a bathroom is very cramped and still does not have a dinette, we sold ours for that very reason.

And being height disadvantaged won't help at all as ceiling heights and bed lengths isn't all that great either

Best bet might be to travel to one of the summer gatherings and look at a number of different trailers as they are being used.

And please, do not be fished in my anyone that claims that it's"Safe" to tow something heavier just because they are doing that very thing.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Just my opinion, but I would trade up to jeep with a higher tow capacity and go for a 16'... more room, could have a full time bed and a side dinette to eat at.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Name: Lynn
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Thanks. Good advice, and worth every penny Mike.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
I would do that in a heartbeat Deryk but I just bought the Patriot new a couple of months ago and I'm trying to avoid the financial beating that I would take trading it in so soon. I've traded in three new cars over the past few years and I promised myself I wasn't going to do it again.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
Lots of good information to consider Bob.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Small trailer confinement.

Many of us that travel in small trailers don't worry too much about them being too small. Most of time is spent outdoors which is really really large. If you've ever tent camped, or backpacked you'll know that most of the time spent inside a tent is sleeping time.
Toilets and showers are usually pretty small and many people that have them don't use them because of that.
The advantage of our trailer over our backpacking tent (which we used for over 30 years) is when you get caught in the cold or rain there's someplace to sit that's warm and dry. An occasional trip to facilities in the cold and wet isn't so bad and it gets out for a couple minutes.
Some people want a rolling motel room with all the amenities. We prefer to look at it as a rolling hard sided tent that has a few amenities, (a stove, a fridge, and a furnace).
Converting the dinette to bed to dinette is not much of a problem if you use sleeping bags. Making the bed with sheets and blankets would be a pain. We use stuff sacks for the sleeping bags so it's even easier. At night I set the thermostat to 55° and sleep pretty comfortable in cold weather with light weight sleeping bag. For hot weather at night we use sleeping bag liners by themselves.

At this time the 13' Scamp without A/C or toilet is perfect for us. Total weight loaded for a long trip about 1700 lbs.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #24
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
....... My concern is that the Scamp might close in on me during an extended trip. Does anyone have any input regarding this concern?

Thanks again
You could forgo the toilet and shower. Some people use a porta-potty and temporary shower shelter when park facilities are absent. That opens up the whole front of a 13 footer. It is also common to use a 10x10 screen shelter to add extra living space. These set up fast and fold compactly.
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
Trailer: Compact Jr
I heartily second the advice to find a nearby fiberglass trailer rally and wander around looking at trailers before you make any buying decisions.

My sister's Compact Jr has a simply monstrous bed, and the pop-up roof makes for lots of headroom. And it weighs 1680 lb loaded up with everything my sister can think of to bring. That said, it's a pretty basic trailer with no insulation, a stove, an icebox, some cabinets, and that's about all. Oh, and it's out of production, so you'd have to buy a used one.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Not wanting to quible as you have a very nice trailer, but surely the jack knife sofa in a Snoozy will comfortably sleep only a very short adult. I seem to recall a photo of a more regularly sized adult with their head overhanging the front bed area significantly. Do you happen to know the actual length offhand?
I went out and measured it for you.
A whopping 64 inches = 5 ft. 4 in.

That's why we went to the factory once we decided to be sure
that our daughter would fit on the couch and she is very short.

It's always in the way mfg.'s write up their ads.
That's why it's important to see any brand in person.

This is me at six feet......

This is our daughter just under five feet.........
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
There are a number of clever solutions to a bed and dinette in a Scamp 13. The conversion of the front couch to a dinette has been done by numerous Scamp 13 owners.

The conversion allows a permanent rear bed if you chose with ample storage below.

If you should purchase a Scamp 13 and find it doesn't meet your expectations, you can do as many have and sell it, probably losing very little, and then get something else.

The price of a used Scamp 13 may the order of a one week cruise to Alaska for two and you can likely sell it for nearly what you paid.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I went out and measured it for you.
A whopping 64 inches = 5 ft. 4 in.
That was very nice of you - thanks very much.

Closed Thread