Campers under the 2000 lb. tow limit - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #41

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Lynn, I don't know how soon you are thinking about getting a trailer, but you should go to the Scamp Camp in Sebring Fla. this Feb. and you will have plenty to look at. I do know some friends of ours that have a 13'er will be selling theirs around that time, and they live in Fla. also. Its a 13 deluxe but doesn't have the bath, but does have AC .
I definitely want a bath Tim and I would probably put in an order for a new 13' before then unless I can find a late model with a bath and AC. I really like the idea of a cabana awning Chse suggested. Scamp should really offer one that is tailored to their trailers. I cant imagine that they wouldn't fly off the shelves. I'm going to call Scamp tomorrow and ask them about that. At the very least they could just instal the awning rail and I could play with the Dometic Cabana Awning Myself. And yes, Sebring is on my calendar if I've purchased before then or not.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #42

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I'm in a 16 Deluxe Scamp. I rub my head on roof I'm 6.1ish i do have to duck the AC. I've been full-time in mine "Dec 2010" can sleep comfortably in the bed with few inches to spare. If I was retired from working I could do with the 13 ft. You probably won't need but 1 propane tank that will save weight. I'd reccomend trailer brakes on it, if ordering new. I was looking for ones within my Jeeps towing limit that met my needs to. I should have had the awning rail installed when I ordered as to add a screen room.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #43

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
I'm in a 16 Deluxe Scamp. I rub my head on roof I'm 6.1ish i do have to duck the AC. I've been full-time in mine "Dec 2010" can sleep comfortably in the bed with few inches to spare. If I was retired from working I could do with the 13 ft. You probably won't need but 1 propane tank that will save weight. I'd reccomend trailer brakes on it, if ordering new. I was looking for ones within my Jeeps towing limit that met my needs to. I should have had the awning rail installed when I ordered as to add a screen room.
Thanks for the input Darrell. It sounds like you have a newer model that the specs say has an interior height of 6'3". Is Scamp fudging that figure? I once owned an RV that I had to walk around in it with my head cocked and I wasn't a happy camper. I sold it right away.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #44

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
If your tow capacity was higher I would suggest a ParkLiner... its plenty tall!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
Thanks for the input Darrell. It sounds like you have a newer model that the specs say has an interior height of 6'3". Is Scamp fudging that figure? I once owned an RV that I had to walk around in it with my head cocked and I wasn't a happy camper. I sold it right away.
Prefire scamp 13s were shorter inside, my '04 is 6ft as am I, it works fine, I seldom stand up as straight as if being measured.
Some on here state definitively that the thirteen front bath is cramped, Not so. After 9 years and several hundred nights, we still hate to see the end of every trip. Cozy and comfortable would be a better description.At least for us.
We've been married for 42years and enjoy being together.
for those who feel a little closed in, a mirror on the bathroom door should help....Here's a picture of ours to give the idea.It does the trick with only half length.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  

Old 08-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #46

Florida
Congratulations on your 42 years Floyd. Unfortunately for me, my spouse and I split before I retired in 2010. I just recently got bit by the camping bug again shortly after buying a new Jeep Patriot with a 2000# tow capacity. So now I not only have to shop for my best trailer option, I also need to shop for someone to put in it with me. I find camping best as a shared experience.

At any rate, I appreciate your comments on the 13' with the front bath because that's what I'm considering. Scamp now offers a 10" wider bed so that eliminates another of my concerns.

Thanks again
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lynn, Has anyone responded that tows with a Jeep Patriot, here or on the Jeep site?

Sorry to read about your need for a companion. Possibly you'll find one among RVers. There are a lot of women traveling alone. As well many trailer clubs have singles groups.

Wishing you well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #48

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Lynn, Has anyone responded that tows with a Jeep Patriot, here or on the Jeep site?

Sorry to read about your need for a companion. Possibly you'll find one among RVers. There are a lot of women traveling alone. As well many trailer clubs have singles groups.

Wishing you well.
I appreciate your input. I didn't know about trailer singles groups and maybe I should look into that. I also rooted around on Jeep Patriot sites and found an interesting piece of information. In the US the 2.4L Patriot with the towing package is only rated at 2000# towing capacity which would pretty much limit me to a 13' Scamp. In the UK the same vehicle is rated at 3300# stipulating a breaking trailer. The US Jeep specs don't mention anything about breaking trailers so it seems to me that breaking might be the issue, not towing ability.

I've been in executive/management all my life so I understand something about insurance/litigation possibilities if I was towing over the 2000# spec designated by Jeep but can anybody explain what this UK / US difference might be all about? Ideally I would like to get into a 16' Scamp and from what I see the Real World Weight would be around 2400 lbs.

Thanks so much
Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #49

Florida
Lynn,
You are correct about the 2400 # Scamp 16. We have traveled extensively in our Honda CRV towing a significantly modified Scamp 16. Our Scamp 16 weighs about 2400 #s with a 200# tongue weight.

Like you we noticed that the North American rating for tow vehicles is often the same as towing a trailer without brakes in Europe. The rating for towing a trailer with brakes is substantially higher in Europe. Though it irks many we choose to go with the European rating.

My wife spent most of here career in insurance so I understand your concern. That said our Honda CRV has worked out well. I admit to knowing nothing about the Jeep Patriot.

Why there is this significant difference in ratings is beyond me. I think it relates to some kind of marketing decision.

My experience is that our Honda CRV has handled our Scamp 16 very well, gets great mileage, and is very reliable.

I also admit that we tow with a Honda CRV because, again like you, it's what we owned when we began our towing career. Based on the opposition I get to it now, if I were buying a new tow vehicle I probably would have bought something different and larger.

We plan to get a new tow vehicle next years, ours will be 10 years old; my wife tells me we're buying another Honda CRV.

That's our experience.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #50

Florida
Thanks so much for your reply Norm. What is the North American tow rate on your Honda?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #51

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Tow ratings are somewhat like reading scriptures to find and answer to a question.
Some will take the answer on face value, others will keep looking until they find the answer they are looking for and then twist the question to fit the answer they like best.

The entire discussion on U.S. vs. European towing limits is a horse that is beat to death hereabouts at least 3-4 times a year and it's been almost 4 months since the last dust-up on the subject.

And speaking of Horses, all too often newbies buy the horse before even looking for the cart.

My personal take: a 2000 lb towing limit means the same thing as a 1 ton towing limit.

I just bought a different TV just for that very reason.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #52

Florida
Lynn,

The NA tow rating is 1500 lbs; the same as the unbraked rating in Europe.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
The US Jeep specs don't mention anything about breaking trailers so it seems to me that breaking might be the issue, not towing ability.
And, you may break your tow vehicle.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #54

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Tow ratings are somewhat like reading scriptures to find and answer to a question.
Some will take the answer on face value, others will keep looking until they find the answer they are looking for and then twist the question to fit the answer they like best.

The entire discussion on U.S. vs. European towing limits is a horse that is beat to death hereabouts at least 3-4 times a year and it's been almost 4 months since the last dust-up on the subject.

And speaking of Horses, all too often newbies buy the horse before even looking for the cart.

My personal take: a 2000 lb towing limit means the same thing as a 1 ton towing limit.

I just bought a different TV just for that very reason.
I'm not sure I get your response but I believe the fact that that I posing the question indicates that I'm looking at the cart.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #55

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Lynn,

The NA tow rating is 1500 lbs; the same as the unbraked rating in Europe.
Thanks Norm. I appreciate all your input. It's been very helpful.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #56

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Prefire scamp 13s were shorter inside, my '04 is 6ft as am I, it works fine, I seldom stand up as straight as if being measured.
Some on here state definitively that the thirteen front bath is cramped, Not so. After 9 years and several hundred nights, we still hate to see the end of every trip. Cozy and comfortable would be a better description.At least for us.
We've been married for 42years and enjoy being together.
for those who feel a little closed in, a mirror on the bathroom door should help....Here's a picture of ours to give the idea.It does the trick with only half length.
Your picture looks great. I can see how a mirror would make a difference. Your wood interior is really warm and cabin like. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #57

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
My cryptic reply was to suggest that tow ratings for European versions of "similar" vehicles have no bearing on what limits to use on U.S. versions.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #58

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
As was mentioned, the US/Euro tow rating debate has been beaten to death. So, I will just put it this way -- as somebody who may be sharing the road with you, I respectfully ask that you limit the use of your vehicle to the specifications for the country you are using it in. If you wish to tow according to European tow ratings, feel free, but PLEASE only do so IN EUROPE. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #59

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
If I was feeling close to my tow limit, I would install brakes on a 13ft camper. I agree that most people spend more time outside than inside. Call up Scamp because many times they can give you the names of people in your area that will let you tour their camper.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #60

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
If I was feeling close to my tow limit, I would install brakes on a 13ft camper. I agree that most people spend more time outside than inside. Call up Scamp because many times they can give you the names of people in your area that will let you tour their camper.
Front bath 13 scamps now come with brakes as part of the package.
Closed Thread