Campers under the 2000 lb. tow limit - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #61

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Front bath 13 scamps now come with brakes as part of the package.
I would definitely get the breaks.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #62

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
As was mentioned, the US/Euro tow rating debate has been beaten to death. So, I will just put it this way -- as somebody who may be sharing the road with you, I respectfully ask that you limit the use of your vehicle to the specifications for the country you are using it in. If you wish to tow according to European tow ratings, feel free, but PLEASE only do so IN EUROPE. Thanks in advance.
One would think you would be happy to see a smaller engine in the tow vehicles of those you "share the road with" especially if that is the only factor reducing the tow rating.
There is , contrary to some opinions here, more to ratings than safety issues, if someone chooses to subject his drivetrain to extra stress or chooses to drive and accellerate slower, it would seem to be of no concern to those with whom he "shares the road" as long as the tow vehicle has a capable chassis with adequate capacity.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #63

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
...as long as the tow vehicle has a capable chassis with adequate capacity.
That's just it. He doesn't.

Why is it that some people will fight so hard to defend the right to endanger other people? I just don't get it.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #64

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Tow ratings sometimes are hooked to a safety issue (such as brakes or receiver attachment strength), but on the other hand they can be hooked to a reliability issue (transmission, cooling system, etc.) instead. Hard for a layman to know if exceeding the ratings puts safety at risk or just equipment life, or if it just exceeds the corporate law staff's sense of caution.

Euro ratings are generally higher. Whether the vehicle is substantially identical or enough different to justify, is often hard to quantify.

On the subject of height: I used to feel bad about not growing to 6'2" like my dad. But when it comes to not bumping my head as frequently as he did and when shopping for trailers, I'm quite happy with my 5'8". It turns out that my father's father was short like me.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #65

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm surprised while reading these charged threads that there are not more people killed everyday as a result of failure to stop at a stop sign, or failure to yield on a highway. There appears to be a split among society as those who read and follow posted limits on speed, weight, capacity, size of trailer, drag coefficient versus those who feel those rules are made for others to follow. Why not just question the need for stopping at a stop sign the same as exceeding your tow capacity? Where does one draw the line between compliance and non-compliance. Is it a personality difference? Why are some compliant in some areas and non-compliant in others? We live in a compliant society, that can not be changed.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #66

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
That's just it. He doesn't.

Why is it that some people will fight so hard to defend the right to endanger other people? I just don't get it.
I'd like to set a couple of things straight. I just posed a simple question regarding the enormous tow rate diference between the NA and UK specs. This extreme difference didn't pass my reasonable test but I'm a reasonable person so no one need fear me being a hazard on the road. I'm just one of those strange people who sometimes like to know why things are the way they are.

That being said, I may be a newbie to this site but I'm not to trailering. I've towed everything from a popup to large trailers and 5th wheels. I've even had a couple of motor-homes. None of that makes me any kind of an expert because I'm surely not. I just always do my homework before I make a move and the kind and knowledgeable people on this site have helped me a great deal.

Thank You folks

And by the way Floyd, I really like that wood interior in your Scamp. It gives it a warm cabin look. I think I may go that direction. Do you know if the wood really adds weight. I'm thinking it must.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #67

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
with that said, lets close this thread.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #68
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
I'd like to set a couple of things straight...

Thanks
Hi, Lynn! Welcome to FiberglassRV.com! Please don't take it personally - we are glad you're here, and all wish you well in your quest for a trailer/rig that suits your camping style.

Since you are new here, you may not be aware of the several knock-down, drag-outs that we've recently refereed, pertaining to the very question you asked: about the differences in North American and European tow ratings. Many of us have strong feelings about the issue, and we take turns being unable to discuss it in a civil manner. This is why we collectively bristle when the subject comes up again. It's nobody's fault, really; it's just the nature of online discussions that folks feel strongly about.

Feel free to utilize the private messaging (PM) function if you care to ask specific questions of particular members ... We are most of the time a very friendly and helpful bunch of people. We just have a couple of discussion roadblocks. (Guns is the other one... besides religion and politics, of course!)

Again, we are glad you're here!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Closed Thread