Campers under the 2000 lb. tow limit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Campers under the 2000 lb. tow limit

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and could use some input. My situation is this:
I'm retired and decided to spend time exploring the USA. I have a new Jeep Patriot with a tow capacity of 2000 lbs. with an engine oil cooler installed. The Jeep has less than 2000 miles on it so trading it in is not an option. I'm 6'2" tall and don't want to stoop down in the trailer. Ideally, I would like to be able to have a dinette so I don't have to make a bed every night and I would also like a shower and toilet.

So far the closest trailer I've found to fit the bill is the Scamp 13' but I would need to make the bed every night and I'm not sure that a 13' trailer wouldn't close in on me during an extended trip. The Scamp 16' meets all the requirements but I'm afraid when all is said and done including tongue weight and gear, I would be over the 2000 lb. limit.

I've owned larger trailers, motor homes and 5th wheels in the past so I'm not completely new to the RV world but I am new to this situation.

There may not be any any good answer to my situation but I would appreciate any input you could give me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
This is my trailer after we got her home..........
I stripped her down so folks could see her in the raw.

Backyard Photo Shoot

And, to the Forum.
There's a trailer out there with your name on it.

Lil Snoozy Specifications

Overall Dimensions Length: 17ft 3in
Height: 7ft 5in
Width: 7ft 11in

Living Area Dimensions
Length: 14ft 6in
Interior Width: 6ft 6in
Interior Head Room: 6ft 4in
Fresh Water - 35 gallons
Gray Water - 31 gallons

The "LS3" comes with a "Jack Knife" sofa which will comfortably sleep 2 children or one adult, in conjunction with the full Queen bed the Lil Snoozy will sleep three to four very comfortably.

http://www.lilsnoozy.com/
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
What's the Snoozy's weight Carl?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #4

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
What's the Snoozy's weight Carl?
I think they told me 1850 dry.

But with my options, I know it's higher than that.
I haven't weighed it yet but intend to.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #5

NE Oklahoma

Living Area Dimensions
Dry Weight : 1900 LBS** (weight varies on options selected)

Fresh Water - 35 gallons
Gray Water - 31 gallons

Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Lil Snoozy trailers
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Lynn,
Let me be the first to say, welcome to FGRV where you will find all kinds of information and opinions on that information. Enjoy.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Lynn, a great resource we have here is a thread called Trailer Weights in the Real World which is helpful in figuring out what trailer fits your vehicle specs. A great many of the trailers on the list were weighed on arrival at a trailer meet at a campground with services so its doubtful that many had much of any water in their tanks but they were loaded up for camping. The reality is that the dry weights posted by manufactures do not include most optional equipment, things such as ac, fridge, stoves, awnings etc may not be in the weight - some do not include the battery or propane tanks even. A good rule of thumb is to add about 600/700lbs or so to any dry weight you see to come up with a more accurate number.

No need to take the bed up and down - I just leave mine down all the time and have a nice small table for eating outside under the awning with.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I would attend a rally even if it's a little ride. Spend a weekend and go thru the different rigs and talk with the various owners.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post

Living Area Dimensions
Dry Weight : 1900 LBS** (weight varies on options selected)

Fresh Water - 35 gallons
Gray Water - 31 gallons

Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Lil Snoozy trailers
I'm impressed with the water capacity, about time somebody puts more than a couple gallons in a fg trailer.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
T
The "LS3" comes with a "Jack Knife" sofa which will comfortably sleep 2 children or one adult, in conjunction with the full Queen bed the Lil Snoozy will sleep three to four very comfortably.
Not wanting to quible as you have a very nice trailer, but surely the jack knife sofa in a Snoozy will comfortably sleep only a very short adult. I seem to recall a photo of a more regularly sized adult with their head overhanging the front bed area significantly. Do you happen to know the actual length offhand?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #11

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Lynn welcome to FGRV
Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If you didn't mind a minimalistic approach, you could get a Lil Snoozy with nothing inside (empty shell) at about 1200 lbs, and finish the interior with just the bare minimum. Not that I'm advocating, it's just a thought.

The Weiscraft Little Joe comes close at 6' interior height, for another brand option. 1100 lbs dry. Or their Ponderosa adds a bathroom, 1480 lbs.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #13

Florida
Thanks so much for the welcomes and the input. I'm considering your advice and comments and would appreciate any other thoughts.

Thanks again
Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #14

Florida
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. Thus far it looks to me that the Scamp 13 would fit my needs best. I was hoping to get into something a little larger without going over my 2000 lb. limit. My concern is that the Scamp might close in on me during an extended trip. Does anyone have any input regarding this concern?

Thanks again
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On our Scamp 13 we leave the bed down and have converted the front couch/bunk bed to a drop down dinette. This has worked well for us.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Best if you get into a Scamp 13 somewhere and sit in it awhile to see what you think. No one can make that call but you. Personally it's a little too closed-in and crowded to suit me, but others like it fine.

You could contact Scamp to ask for names of people near you who have agreed to show their trailers. Or attend one of the many egg gatherings, where people are usually happy to show off their trailers, and you can see many different brands and sizes while you're at it.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
With the new ceiling height in the Scamp 13 I think it is a possibility.

We would feel very closed in if we had the 13 with the bath. The porta potty works fine. Can't imagine someone over 6 feet wanting to use a Scamp enclosed bathroom!

If you go to a gathering be sure to keep in mind that older Scamp 13s do not have the headroom the new ones do.

Nancy
Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group

As you have seen, you have a tough order to fill. Staying under 2000 lbs and having a bath and a fixed dinette is not just limiting, but next to physically impossible.

In looking at the real world weights you can see that mfg. weights often are of little use as they are based on empty trailers without any accessories installed.

And, yes, the 13' scamp with a bathroom is very cramped and still does not have a dinette, we sold ours for that very reason.

And being height disadvantaged won't help at all as ceiling heights and bed lengths isn't all that great either

Best bet might be to travel to one of the summer gatherings and look at a number of different trailers as they are being used.

And please, do not be fished in my anyone that claims that it's"Safe" to tow something heavier just because they are doing that very thing.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Just my opinion, but I would trade up to jeep with a higher tow capacity and go for a 16'... more room, could have a full time bed and a side dinette to eat at.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #20

Florida
Thanks. Good advice, and worth every penny Mike.
Closed Thread