Campers who take cats - need advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #21

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
The 100 mile mark that Mike mentioned is a good idea. Katie and Casey Cats always did yowl a bit for the first 20 minutes - after that they settled down and enjoyed the experience. What is not to like? Trapping the ones you like the most in an enclosed area?
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Our Camping Cat experience

We have a cat that became a camping cat at age 6 weeks. Jerry will be 7 in April and has traveled many times to other states. He is a fantastic traveler - loves to look out the windows while traveling, uses his litter box and will eat and drink while we are driving.

He has always worn a harness and is on a leash always when we travel - which works well.. but honestly, a cat can get out of anything. We always make sure we never get in front of him while in his harness. A cat will just stop- and back up and out he comes - harness on the ground and it's not a good thing to have to try get him/her back. Jerry has backed up out of several different harnesses - the one we have now seems to work but we still never get in front of him.

Having your cat along can be fun, but we never leave the car running when we aren't in it. If we want to eat, if it's too hot out and we can't leave the windows open a little for air for Jerry, then we go somewhere where we can eat in the car. We also use a small stroller for him - makes it easier for us to enjoy sight seeing.

My only concern for your trip is what will you do with your cat while you enjoy Disney, Universal etc? Leaving a pet in a trailer would be the best, but a few trips back to the trailer to check would be good.

Have a fun time and enjoy traveling with your cat.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Ellie will stay in the trailer while we are gone. Likely, to be honest, she will probably be in the trailer all the time, even when we are in the screenhouse. She has never been an outdoor cat.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #24

Registry
Just thought I would update you. After a few miles of meowing and one accident, Ellie is loving camping. She watches out the windows while driving, although I wish she would settle down when she is on my lap and stop wiggling. She seems to know though when I have had enough and stays back with the suitcases for a while.
In the camper, she burrows under the blankets when we are gone, and comes out to keep us up at night . I had a huge panic the first time she was left alone in the camper; I called and she did not come out. One of the lumps in the covers moved though .

It is working out much better than I thought it would. In fact, we may have created a permanent situation.

CindyL
Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #25

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Wink Ellie

That's fantastic. We enjoy taking Jerry with us and it sounds like Ellie will be a perfect camping cat for you too.

Have fun on your trip.

Carol
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #26

Washington
Registry
Good news! It is so nice not to leave our pets behind! Have a great trip.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #27

Registry
Cat litter on the floor is making me nuts though. We had to rearrange the camper on this trip to adjust for my recent elbow surgery. We have the front bed and bunk set up. We forgot that my vacuum is under the front bunk seat. And Ellie decided that since we left her alone all day yesterday while we were at Disney, she should be played with all night .

CindyL
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #28

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Cat litter on the floor is making me nuts though. We had to rearrange the camper on this trip to adjust for my recent elbow surgery. We have the front bed and bunk set up. We forgot that my vacuum is under the front bunk seat. And Ellie decided that since we left her alone all day yesterday while we were at Disney, she should be played with all night .

CindyL
Does the box have a lid? That directs spill to one spot and then , under the litterbox opening, to catch sand when Ellie climbs out a carpet square near the box opening helps a lot - the you can take it outside to shake it out. No cure for the all night! I've been there!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #29

Registry
Thanks. I got at the vac today, but I think I burned it up using it. Floor's cleaner though. At least Ellie used it today while we were gone, so there are no surprises in bed.

CindyL
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #30

Washington
Registry
They do have their way of expressing dissatisfaction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-38427043.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	53829

Arriving back in Eugene after our So. Cal. Camp out my daughter's kitties would not fess up responsibility - but the room mates dog was locked out.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #31

Registry
Kevin commented that Ellie seems happier than she ever has. She is harassed by other kitties at home. We will have to figure out how to help her out when we return. None of the rest would enjoy this trip like she has.

CindyL