Campers who take cats - need advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Campers who take cats - need advice

Kevin and I are leaving for FL (Disney and Universal) the day after Xmas. We have a cat who is sick and needs to take medicine for 10 days and may be wearing a cone. We are considering taking her along, instead of leaving her to the cat sitter who will be watching the rest.

What tips can you give us for taking a cat and especially one that has not traveled before?

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #2

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
We had cats for years and most of them traveled ok. If I had a choice I would leave it home, especially if it was sick.

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I agree with Harvey, cats do not like to travel as much as dogs do and since you have a house sitter would probably enjoy staying home. If you do decide to take it, bring water and food from home, different water and food will upset your pet.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If the cat ignores you when you call, then don't take it with you unless you are OK with moving on without it.

If you happen to see a black cat at the Navy Solomon Island Camp Ground in Maryland, let him know we moved on.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Registry
We are planning to take the cat. What we need are suggestions to make it as successful as possible. We will not let her outside the camper. We bought a harness and leash to hook her up every time we go out, so she will not escape.

She is not sick. She just needs meds for an infected wound on her tail. Our cat sitter will not be able to give the meds to her.

BTW, she is a Munchkin, like a Corgie dog. They are dwarf cats; Ellie has very short front legs.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Ellie.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Since she's never traveled before, a little Bach's Rescue Remedy in the medicine kit might be a good idea in case she gets nervous.

Also:
I do hope she's microchipped, and that her registration is up-to-date, contacts-wise.

My experience with pets is that no matter how vigilant we are, they can be awfully quick to sense escape routes!

Also:
My dog wears a Walmart-made tag that describes my rig, so that if she wanders when I'm traveling folks have at least a chance to identify the vehicle/trailer she's associated with.

Good luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #7

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
This really sounds like a recipe for disaster. Cats are not natural travelers. They like home and they like routine. If he scoots out through a partially open door, don't be surprised. The motion of the vehicle is tough on many cats. They have sharp senses, and the speed of stuff going past in the windows is hard on them. Some adapt over time, but this sounds like a one-off event.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #8

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
We travelled from So. Cal to Spokane Wa with two cats for years. The first day they were crated but from then on, they were allowed to roam the back seat area. They did not object to travelling at all. Litter, food and water was out for them. The only caution I would offer, for driving safety, be sure they are blocked from the gas/brake area.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Registry
She is microchipped. She rode in the car with us today and was on my lap watching the things out the window. We have cats who pee in the car from the stress; she did not. We have had a cat who panted trumpeted in the back window and foamed at the mouth; she did not. No, she was not at ease as much as a couple of other cats we have traveled with before for miles, but she was purring a great deal of time.

We do have something for her water that is similar to your product, Francesca.

CindyL
Old 12-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
My cat, Bobby, has travelled with me for the last 5 years. He is 18 years old......so he was a senior when he started. He starts the journey in his cat carrier but once we are down the road he has free range of my vehicle. He doesn't seem to mind. Sometimes he would stand on his hind legs and look out the passenger side window. Or he lays on the arm rest between the driver's seat and the passenger seat. If something upsets him, he goes into his carrier. I have never allowed him to come into the driver's area of the vehicle. We (Bobby and me) drive to Florida every winter.

He is a very well-behaved cat....comes when called and does not get on the furniture in my house. Because I drive an Escape with the back seat down there is room for his carrier, food, water and litter pan in the back.(which, btw, he uses) He does leave realms of cat hair everwhere.<_<
Attached Thumbnails
403.jpg  
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
She is microchipped. She rode in the car with us today and was on my lap watching the things out the window... No, she was not at ease as much as a couple of other cats we have traveled with before for miles, but she was purring a great deal of time.
It sounds to me like you have the situation somewhat under control. We have taken our 11 year old cat for her 1st camp-out this past June. She'd been indoors her whole life after we rescued her off the streets as a kitten. For a long trip I recommend using a crate, secured to a seat-belt or some other restraint. Like yours our cat likes to look out the window, so we strapped the crate on top of a bin, and placed both in the back seat secured with the seat-belt.

We have a "vestibule" space in our trailer since the door is between the refrigerator cabinet and the closet. I made a "baby-gate" out of found material to separate this "vestibule" from the "kitchen" area. When the door is open the "baby-gate" is closed. The cat is not allowed to be in the "vestibule".

Our cat is most comfortable under the bed. She did scent mark which was a pain to clean up, so next time I'm going to line the area with a heavy shower curtain liner before placing the litter pan under there.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreen Bradshaw View Post
He starts the journey in his cat carrier but once we are down the road he has free range of my vehicle.
This is just my opinion; but I don't shift out of park unless everyone in the car is wearing their seat-belts. Pets included.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have heard horror stories about leaving the car running either for heat or air conditioning and leaving the pet in the car and upon your return they get excited to see you and then step on the lock knob which locks the doors, with you out and them in!!! Always take the extra set of keys and leave them in your pocket. Don't ask me how I know this can happen.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This is just my opinion; but I don't shift out of park unless everyone in the car is wearing their seat-belts. Pets included.
Might be a good idea, who wants a to get hit in the head by a terrorized wounded cat, while in the middle of trying to deal with an accident!

How about the cat getting between you and an airbag...YUK!

When your brake pedal feels squishy and makes a yowling noise,You might have a loose cat onboard!(one good reason to wear shoes while driving)

Tate's cat has it's own camping chair and takes to a leash like a dog, I'm guessing it's well over 20 pounds and very friendly.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

Registry
Thanks, guys. I am still leary of this, but it is happening, so it sounds like it stands a chance of working. We picked up a water dish and had a tag with our name and contact info made tonight. We are going to cover the van surfaces with plastic. We bought a large dog crate earlier today; she howled in the smaller crate that we use to take other cats to the groomer but seemed to be OK in the larger one. I just don't want to end up holding her too much on the drive. I had surgery on my elbow a couple of weeks ago. I can't hold her comfortably for long, since she kept standing on my elbow to look out the window.

I think we will try to give her more driving time tomorrow and Xmas Day, so she gets used to it.

We have always talked about having a camping cat. I guess we will be having one or at least a half-sized one .

CindyL
Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
If she becomes car sick or nervous the vetereinarians do carry products for such situations. Acepromazine is one and I think the other is Diazepam. Ask your vet for a few just in case. The cat is microchipped, has tags on it, and will be leashed so hopefully all is covered. A harness instead of a collar would be a better idea, because cats can slip out of their collars, but it would be almost impossible to escape a harness. Keep a leash on at all times and maybe hook the cat's leash to something in the van so she can not get far if she does get out the van door. Another option for travel would be a big enough kennel for bed, food, water and sand box all in one location. If kenneled in a big enough kennel she can roam a bit, and still be escape proof (hopefully).
Have a safe and happy trip.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #17

Registry
We bought a harness today that she seems not to be able to get out of, as well as a leash that we will hook to keep her from jumping out. Happily, as a low rider, she can't jump like full-sized cats.

I suspect she will enjoy the trip. She does not get along with any of our other cats. This gives her a chance to be away from them.

CindyL
Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Plus, she will get to sit on me everyday, which is her favorite thing!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
We travelled about 15,000 miles in a trip with one of our cats
_ the other one was killed by stray dogs while we were camped in San Antonio. They were crated most of that time, anchored between the seats of our pick-up so that they could look out the window and they were fine. Collars and harnesses when we were stopped worked well and while sometimes the bed was a little crowded, they were a lot happier on the road with us that they have been when we left them behind, even with a full=time caregiver. Enjoy the trip and the cat.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
We have had occasions to take a cat on a long trip, 3 separate times and a different cat each time. Each cat acclimated after 100 miles or so.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote