Campfires--yes or no? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #71

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As a kid, I went to a few wilderness training type camps, one thing that the always said, that in the event you become lost was to first make a fire before just about anything else, as not only did it provide warmth, but also it had personality and character, helping psychologically.

Let me guess did your parents send you off to Outward Bound to spend a week roughing it? Parents way of giving troublesome teens a reality check? Was not an uncommon practice in my area in the time frame I was a teen.

For anyone who spends any time in the outdoors in these parts knows that knowing how to light a fire in all weather conditions is a must have skill.

History Channel currently has a show on called Alone. They took 10 so called survival experts from NA out to the West Coast of Vancouver Island to see who could stay out the longest.

Its been a bit of a giggle to those of us who grew up on Vancouver Island and have spent a lot of time camping & kayaking in the area they are in, as to how many of the so called Survival Experts could not light a fire for the first couple of days due to the dampness. Also how scared they were of a few black bears and kitty cats & how many ended up going home after only a few days!

It has been well noted they do not have anyone on the show that is from the area as for them that would just be a normal camping trip experience.

In the area were these guys were dropped are a couple of islands that the local aboriginal community uses to drop off a youth who they have been having troubles with. The other choose is more often than not spending them to jail. They leave them out there on their own with limited supplies for a week or more.

If your kayak camping in that area you need to stop into the cabin the local elders and find out where the youths they have out there are located so you do not knowingly camp near them. The Elders will tell you if its ok to camp in a certain area/island or not. Number 1 rule of being permitted to camp out there is if you do happen to come across one of their youth you are not to speak to them or give them anything! If they approach your camp all you can say to them is GO away. Funny that the History Channel did not seek out anyone of the youth that has done this in the past to compete on their show.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #72

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Let me guess did your parents send you off to Outward Bound to spend a week roughing it? Parents way of giving troublesome teens a reality check? Was not an uncommon practice in my area in the time frame I was a teen.
It was mostly with Air Cadets. Not only did we do camping trips year round, they had summer camps set up for outdoor adventure. One of them was a 6 week course, at which I applied to work at. My application was accepted, but that summer I went for a glider pilot scholarship instead.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #73

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
(Quote) "But I have wondered how they expect a fire in a vertical tube of a fire pit to draw air."

If you are referring to the 24" high rings in the CA State Parts, the ones I have seen are about 42" across and have holes punched around the base to draw in combustion air, as well as to let extinguishing water run out.
Mich. State Parks use a double wall of steel culvert sections on end with concrete between them. No air holes for draft or drainage. Do not sound like they sit as high as the ones described in Calif. I would say less than or just about knee high. Toddler could not fall in and concrete insulates the outer culvert metal so not hot enough as a rule to burn anyone. They do extend a ways into the ground.

You can see into them from a lawn chair but they are harder to get a good draw in than a stone ring or the shallower ones that used to be common.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #74

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...One of my favourite work chores is splitting wood. There is something therapeutic about it. Plus, it is good physical work too...
Jim, I am beginning to wonder if I camped next to you a few years ago in the Bridalveil CG at Yosemite. Whoever the guy was, he spent what seemed like an incredible amount of time every day chopping wood for their nearly constant campfire. To me, it looked like a rough way to spend a vacation! But to each his own.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #75
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
I'm trying to figure out a way to stow a chainsaw and tow a hydraulic log splitter behind my camper! LOL
Old 07-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #76

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Ryobi battery powered chain saw:
Ryobi | One+ 18-Volt Cordless Lithium-Ion Chainsaw | Home Depot Canada

So quiet, you neighbours won't hate you.

Can't help you with the hydraulic log splitter. I use a swing press splitter, (axe).
Old 07-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #77

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Let's see, if you have a 5th wheel you can double tow a trailered log splitter
Old 07-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #78

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I'm with Dave on this one, my log splitter has a handle and a head. The engine is probably driving the TV. From the front seat not under the hood. But for those locations where firewood gathering is permissible I'm all about the bow saw and stuff that doesn't need to be split.

I can do a weekend worth of firewood in about an hour or so with a bow saw if the dead stuff is not larger than my lower leg. Like I said I'm mostly a small fire person, want to cook on it not be cooked by it.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #79

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I'm trying to figure out a way to stow a chainsaw and tow a hydraulic log splitter behind my camper! LOL

White man make big fire stand way back, Indian make small fire stand close.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #80

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Jim, I am beginning to wonder if I camped next to you a few years ago in the Bridalveil CG at Yosemite. Whoever the guy was, he spent what seemed like an incredible amount of time every day chopping wood for their nearly constant campfire. To me, it looked like a rough way to spend a vacation! But to each his own.
Seeing I have never been to Yosemite, and rarely start a fire before evening, not likely me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That modular fitting HC1 might be just the ticket for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
White man make big fire stand way back, Indian make small fire stand close.
Haven't heard that one in 40 years. LOL
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #81

California
WHAT... Are you saying that there is a log splitter and a chainsaw module for the HC-1.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #82

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
WHAT... Are you saying that there is a log splitter and a chainsaw module for the HC-1.
I believe it is the Lumberjack Module.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #83

California
Oh.. I misread, I though that was the outside cooking unit, the FlapJack module....LOL
Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #84

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
I've had the Campfire in a Can for 3 years now and love it. I replaced the fake logs with glass though. It doesn't get used every trip b/c most of the people I camp with have propane campfires and it seems we end up taking turns. I've turned on mine in the mornings to take the chill off, a small fire makes it more cosy while eating breakfast or having coffee. I can do without most things while camping but not my campfire! Or an inboard bathroom. Lol. Just saying.
Marina

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV