Campfires--yes or no? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #61

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The washing machine drum fire pit is exceptionally popular in the more crowded RV parks and beach campgrounds on the west coast. Seems like it's standard equipment with larger class "A's" where storage is not a problem. The most sought after ones are the stainless steel tubs That puts the owner two steps up on the coolness ladder among their peeps.

Combine having a stainless steel fire tub with an outside 50" flat screen, a sat dish, recliner chairs, and beer on tap and a guy could become King of the Park...LOL now that's real camping!!!!! (Don't laugh, I have seen this!!!)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #62

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There was a proto human species call Homo Habilis, (handy man). They were among the first makers of tools. They made almost the same kind of hand axe across the species. Some have hypothesized that the design of this axe was hard wired into their comparatively small brain.

I believe the same can be said of humans, and fire. It gave our species a HUGE advantage over our competitors.

Our house has a wood burning stove with a big window in the door. A few month after we moved into our house, when fall came, we had our first fire. My, then 6 year old son, sat transfixed, for a long time. Then he slowly turned to me and said, "Dad, it's better then TV".
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #63

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
It's funny reading all this. I love a good fire, burning hot with no smoke on a cool night. But I love the outdoors so much that a fire is secondary. I've had fire, no fire, used a candlelight as a fake fire to have ambiance when there were rules, and it's all fun. But I watched the Dutch Elm disease bring down all the Elms years ago and see all the Emerald Ash borers destroying large swaths of forest and as I get older I realize my "rights" aren't that important. If I could never have another fire I'd be fine.

If we were all the same the world would be boring.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #64

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The thing about that hand axe of homo habilis was they never figured out in million years to put a handle on it! No evidence of that simple addition of a handle to increase power.

I do consider "how to build a fire" a life skill I'm glad the kids and grand kids learned. How to start the propane one eh? Not so much. Using an axe safely and effectively? Also a life skill, hooking up propane bottle well yeah sort of important but I'm not thinking it is a skill exactly. Maybe something of a low level Darwinian test.

Are the gas burners a viable alternative? I'm sure. Would I refuse to sit around yours? Nope, be glad to pull up a chair. Am I going to buy one? Ha! Your kidding right? But then I do not live in California or an arid region so my motivation for having one is slim to none.

I'm a small fire type person as a rule, so I don't even need much firewood. But I have wondered how they expect a fire in a vertical tube of a fire pit to draw air. But not having small kids fall in is probably the motivation around here.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #65

(Quote) "But I have wondered how they expect a fire in a vertical tube of a fire pit to draw air."

If you are referring to the 24" high rings in the CA State Parts, the ones I have seen are about 42" across and have holes punched around the base to draw in combustion air, as well as to let extinguishing water run out.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #66

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Our house has a wood burning stove with a big window in the door. A few month after we moved into our house, when fall came, we had our first fire. My, then 6 year old son, sat transfixed, for a long time. Then he slowly turned to me and said, "Dad, it's better then TV".
As a kid, I went to a few wilderness training type camps, one thing that the always said, that in the event you become lost was to first make a fire before just about anything else, as not only did it provide warmth, but also it had personality and character, helping psychologically.

I can't count the nights that I have stayed up after everyone else hit the sack, and just stared into the fire while contemplating life. Pretty sure this is what your son too found in the fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I do consider "how to build a fire" a life skill I'm glad the kids and grand kids learned. How to start the propane one eh? Not so much. Using an axe safely and effectively? Also a life skill, hooking up propane bottle well yeah sort of important but I'm not thinking it is a skill exactly. Maybe something of a low level Darwinian test.
One of my favourite work chores is splitting wood. There is something therapeutic about it. Plus, it is good physical work too.

I was taught as a kid how to properly split wood, and have taught many others now too. One proud moment of my life was when at 16, a scrawny 110 lb whelp, I took my girlfriend to the midway, and successfully rang the bell using the techniques I was taught. These burly biker types hanging around, doing their big roundhouse swings, yet hitting the target on a big angle, could not make it ring, and claimed it rigged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
(Quote) "But I have wondered how they expect a fire in a vertical tube of a fire pit to draw air."

If you are referring to the 24" high rings in the CA State Parts, the ones I have seen are about 42" across and have holes punched around the base to draw in combustion air, as well as to let extinguishing water run out.
One of the biggest problems I have seen with these rings, even the ones with good draw holes, is that they have dug a pit inside, and the air does not draw across the bottom of the pit. With the ground inside and out level, they do a much better job.

The issue with the tall sides for me, is more that they block most of the radiant heat, and that heat coming from the coals is more warming than the flames ever are. If they are short, it is much better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #67

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Thumbs up Campfires

In my 32 year career as a public parks administrator I purchased hundreds of park grills, and fire rings and over a thousand picnic tables from the Iowa based R. J. Thomas company. They have great products, very heavy duty and many many designs. These people know camping. Pilot Rock: Park, Camp, Street Site Equipment, Grills, Fire Pits, Picnic Tables, Benches. They were primarily purchased on a competitive bidding process using heavy duty specifications designed for the abuse the public tends to inflict on facilities designed for the enjoyment by all citizens. Pilot Rock equipment is used worldwide and they specialize in handicap designs too.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #68

The ones I have seen in California State Parks are setting on a concrete or firebrick base so that it's easier to clean out the coals and ashes., hence no pit...

And, when the alternative is "No Campfires", I'll bet that they are pretty good.

But, to paraphrase a former governor of California, "If you have seen one campfire, you have seen them all".

(BTW: If that wasn't funny, you don't know the joke.... LOLOLOL)

Old 07-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #69

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
In my 32 year career as a public parks administrator I purchased hundreds of park grills, and fire rings and over a thousand picnic tables from the Iowa based R. J. Thomas company. They have great products, very heavy duty and many many designs. These people know camping. Pilot Rock: Park, Camp, Street Site Equipment, Grills, Fire Pits, Picnic Tables, Benches. They were primarily purchased on a competitive bidding process using heavy duty specifications designed for the abuse the public tends to inflict on facilities designed for the enjoyment by all citizens. Pilot Rock equipment is used worldwide and they specialize in handicap designs too.
Dave
They do make a good looking product, Dave. I was just looking at them yesterday. I have used that design for a grate in a campground before, where the grate is adjustable, and will fold right out of the way when not needed. The one I saw was dug into the ground, whereas these appear to sit on the ground, anchored in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #70

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Campfires

Jim
I have the 30 inch diameter, fold back, infinitely adjustable grate, 18 inches deep. I have it filled with about 16 inches of pea gravel so my fire draws nicely and warms the body from the knees up as we sit around it. I've had this ring for 12 years, still very solid. Keep it covered with a piece of T-1 11 when not in use. Keeps ash acid action to a minimum with the fire ring sides. Sets on bricks, very slightly tipped so the grate is dead level when in use. Don't want my weenie rolling off the grate.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #71

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As a kid, I went to a few wilderness training type camps, one thing that the always said, that in the event you become lost was to first make a fire before just about anything else, as not only did it provide warmth, but also it had personality and character, helping psychologically.

Let me guess did your parents send you off to Outward Bound to spend a week roughing it? Parents way of giving troublesome teens a reality check? Was not an uncommon practice in my area in the time frame I was a teen.

For anyone who spends any time in the outdoors in these parts knows that knowing how to light a fire in all weather conditions is a must have skill.

History Channel currently has a show on called Alone. They took 10 so called survival experts from NA out to the West Coast of Vancouver Island to see who could stay out the longest.

Its been a bit of a giggle to those of us who grew up on Vancouver Island and have spent a lot of time camping & kayaking in the area they are in, as to how many of the so called Survival Experts could not light a fire for the first couple of days due to the dampness. Also how scared they were of a few black bears and kitty cats & how many ended up going home after only a few days!

It has been well noted they do not have anyone on the show that is from the area as for them that would just be a normal camping trip experience.

In the area were these guys were dropped are a couple of islands that the local aboriginal community uses to drop off a youth who they have been having troubles with. The other choose is more often than not spending them to jail. They leave them out there on their own with limited supplies for a week or more.

If your kayak camping in that area you need to stop into the cabin the local elders and find out where the youths they have out there are located so you do not knowingly camp near them. The Elders will tell you if its ok to camp in a certain area/island or not. Number 1 rule of being permitted to camp out there is if you do happen to come across one of their youth you are not to speak to them or give them anything! If they approach your camp all you can say to them is GO away. Funny that the History Channel did not seek out anyone of the youth that has done this in the past to compete on their show.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Let me guess did your parents send you off to Outward Bound to spend a week roughing it? Parents way of giving troublesome teens a reality check? Was not an uncommon practice in my area in the time frame I was a teen.
It was mostly with Air Cadets. Not only did we do camping trips year round, they had summer camps set up for outdoor adventure. One of them was a 6 week course, at which I applied to work at. My application was accepted, but that summer I went for a glider pilot scholarship instead.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #73

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Mich. State Parks use a double wall of steel culvert sections on end with concrete between them. No air holes for draft or drainage. Do not sound like they sit as high as the ones described in Calif. I would say less than or just about knee high. Toddler could not fall in and concrete insulates the outer culvert metal so not hot enough as a rule to burn anyone. They do extend a ways into the ground.

You can see into them from a lawn chair but they are harder to get a good draw in than a stone ring or the shallower ones that used to be common.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #74

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...One of my favourite work chores is splitting wood. There is something therapeutic about it. Plus, it is good physical work too...
Jim, I am beginning to wonder if I camped next to you a few years ago in the Bridalveil CG at Yosemite. Whoever the guy was, he spent what seemed like an incredible amount of time every day chopping wood for their nearly constant campfire. To me, it looked like a rough way to spend a vacation! But to each his own.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #75

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I'm trying to figure out a way to stow a chainsaw and tow a hydraulic log splitter behind my camper! LOL
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #76

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ryobi battery powered chain saw:
Ryobi | One+ 18-Volt Cordless Lithium-Ion Chainsaw | Home Depot Canada

So quiet, you neighbours won't hate you.

Can't help you with the hydraulic log splitter. I use a swing press splitter, (axe).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #77

Let's see, if you have a 5th wheel you can double tow a trailered log splitter

Old 07-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #78

Michigan
I'm with Dave on this one, my log splitter has a handle and a head. The engine is probably driving the TV. From the front seat not under the hood. But for those locations where firewood gathering is permissible I'm all about the bow saw and stuff that doesn't need to be split.

I can do a weekend worth of firewood in about an hour or so with a bow saw if the dead stuff is not larger than my lower leg. Like I said I'm mostly a small fire person, want to cook on it not be cooked by it.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #79

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I'm trying to figure out a way to stow a chainsaw and tow a hydraulic log splitter behind my camper! LOL

White man make big fire stand way back, Indian make small fire stand close.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #80

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Jim, I am beginning to wonder if I camped next to you a few years ago in the Bridalveil CG at Yosemite. Whoever the guy was, he spent what seemed like an incredible amount of time every day chopping wood for their nearly constant campfire. To me, it looked like a rough way to spend a vacation! But to each his own.
Seeing I have never been to Yosemite, and rarely start a fire before evening, not likely me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That modular fitting HC1 might be just the ticket for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
White man make big fire stand way back, Indian make small fire stand close.
Haven't heard that one in 40 years. LOL