View Poll Results: Cheating?
Cheating 17 34.69%
Self Preservation 24 48.98%
Quit complaining, at least you get to go 6 12.24%
African, or European? 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Ches... sounds like a great place to do your Christmas shopping to me! Plenty of time, nearby, no one around... Ooops... did I say that?

Roger

Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #16

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia

Old 11-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Well, I am IN my site. I did not dump my trailer and leave for a couple days, I just brought it here in the AM on my way to work, Unhitched, leveled, set up my water.. and left until I could get here this evening. I also paid for 3 days even tho, hour wise, it's only 2. But I was here before check in time.

There were people in the space I really wanted, but when I got here tonite, they were gone.

In this case, no one was put out.. there is me and 2 families with tents, and lots of Forest Service folks. This is a fire staging campground.

You can't dump and not sleep here either, at least, not on the first nite. After that, you can leave and come back, but I think there is a 24 hour rule.

Now, this summer, BY PERMISSION of the camphosts, I left my trailer at Heartbar on a sunday after I had spent the weekend, and came back the next friday. Yep, it was the 4th of July, and.. well.. that one I feel guilty about, but no one was left without a spot, amazingly.

I never had to do this in Oregon. Thats why it seems wierd to me.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #18

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
The NPS has four campgrounds on the NC Outer Banks and reservations are accepted only at the Ocracoke facility. With the exception of Memorial Day, Labor Day and July 4th, getting a site is usually not a problem. On those Holiday weekends however, the campgrounds may be full by noon on Friday or there could be a few sites avalable Saturday AM - strictly a crap shoot. The Park Service units are usually the last to fill up so if we arrive and no sites are open, the only option is to reverse course for a four hour trip back home.

If we plan on camping over one of the three day weekends, I'll drive down on Thursday after work, set up the Scamp and return home (9-10 hr effort) so I guess I'm with Gina on this one.

The problem could easily be resolved if the Park Service would set aside say one half of the sites for reservations and leave the remainder open on a first come first serve basis. If this were handled as non site-specific reservations, the administrative burden wouild be minimal.

Al
Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #19

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
I am sure many think we are guilty of dropping our trailer to save the space but in reality, we drop as early as posible so we can enjoy as full a day as posible of the local area. We usually come back after dark, tired and pleased with a full day. If we came back and found our stuff moved cause we weren't in our trailer at a certain time, there would be fireworks. We pay for our spot and after a full day hiking and exploring, knowing our trailer is safe in a spot, we look forward to coming back and relaxing. And usually we are off again the next morning before many are up and about. Do they think we just dropped to hold a spot? Who knows. We pay for the spot and use it the way it suits us best. Maybe there is more to the story than a parked unattended trailer shows at first glance.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #20

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
Quote:
Our western mountain "cheaters" come in a different form and bother me far more than those who stake out an extra night in the campground. In many of the National Forests of Wyoming, "dispersed camping" is allowed and often encouraged. Dispersed camping means you can pull off and camp in non-developed areas. The Forest Service rules limit you to 14 days in one spot. After that you are required to move. Unfortunately, there is no enforcement of this rule what so ever.
John C.
The rule is here in Oregon too and many who are almost homeless use these camp spots as long term homes. I asked several rangers about how they felt about these campers while I was on a wild fire and was told that rangers don't generally have a problem with these campers because:
-At least the rangers know where they are and can see if there is something wrong going on.
-When there are children in the camping group, the rangers can keep an eye on the kids and make sure they are getting enough to eat and are fairly healthy.
The other option is for them to find places to hide and then it is more dangerous for the campers, fires, hikers who might stumble on their locations and rangers checking in on them.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
I am sure many think we are guilty of dropping our trailer to save the space but in reality, we drop as early as posible so we can enjoy as full a day as posible of the local area. We usually come back after dark, tired and pleased with a full day.
I think the key is that you return to the site to sleep in the site at some point; you don't drop your trailer off on Tuesday afternoon so you can use it on Saturday. We all drop our trailers to sight-see, shop, whatever... but we come back and use the site. I don't even mind folks who park a car or put chairs in the site next to them for the afternoon to save it for their friends or relatives who come in later in the day so they can camp together, and frankly most parks have a rule that says you can't pay for a site without a camper in it. It's the folks who just drop a trailer or chairs or whatever, pay their fees and tie up the site, unused, for two or three days that annoy me.

Roger
Old 11-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
The new online reservation system for Iowa State Campgrounds has helped this tremendously. We like to camp at Clear Lake State Park over the 4th of July, so does everyone else!

We used to have to pull our camper over at least a week ahead of time to even get a spot. This year, we were able to reserve a spot well in advance and save a lot of money!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Gina-
It ain't cheating. Your money is as good as the next guys. I do agree with a 14 day time rule. But other than that, first one there, wins the race.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #24

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
On the other hand, there are [b]5 bizzilion other folks that can say the same thing, right here.
The law of Supply and Demand...
The fact that you did sleep there on the 1st night is good enough to show that you followed the rules, and (legally) did not cheat.

What some Oregonians experience at Bullard's Beach on the 3rd weekend of July is standard operating procedure in Southern California on EVERY WEEKEND. The ReserveAmerica sites in San Diego County are booked [b]full a year in advance. There seems to be no "off season" here.

The private campground owners know that it is a "sellers market" and most have $40 - $60 per night rates, 10 year age restrictions, and "Vehicle Condition" inspections. Even under those conditions, they are full and still have to turn folks away who otherwise jump through all the hoops.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #25

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
This morning, two young women came in, set up a teeny tiny childs tent (Pink no less!) and then took off.

I thought they were placeholding, but.. they came back this afternoon, and put all thier stuff in the thing! They are trying to put themselves in it now

Whats funny, is the have a pickup with canopy.. they could just sleep in that.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Indiana Dunes Natl Lakeshore was having the same problem -- Folks would come out from the metro areas a few days early, drop some stuf, register the site thru the holiday weekend and depart -- Tuff decision for the park because despite the letter of the law, the site was paid for in advance, so the rangers/camp host were reluctant to deal with it -- What they finally did was require that the sites be paid for one day at a time and registered daily -- More work for the host, but it put everything back to equitable.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #27

Trailer: ***
In some Nevada and Utah SPs we've used, DAILY fee payment was required - helping, but not entirely eliminating, the "problem" of a host or Ranger making a judgement call if "stuff" was being used for camping or not. Certainly not a foolproof method, but much more equitable than who has the largest checkbook and "wins the race" to claim a space.

Seemed to also have the apparently unintended benefit of "liberating" spaces by the posted checkout time (coincidentally, the SAME time the host or Ranger was checking for TODAY's paid stub) for those of us who naively believe YESTERDAY's payment entitled the user to plenty of time to either pay for another day OR break camp and leave the spot for the NEXT user to enjoy the better part of TODAY.

That all said, we've been disappointed on occassion (even in late Fall and early Winter) to find the same scenario depicted by others in this thread. When it has happened that we've found a number of "ghost" sites filling a campground to capacity, we ALWAYS find the host or Ranger to verify that all of the sites are paid for. Only seems reasonable to make the small effort after towing to a destination and be disappointed. Many of you might be surprised to learn that not only are some the "ghost" sites not occupied, but NOT PAID for either! We don't ASSUME anything, i.e., the site is occupied, the site is paid for, etc. - we let the site manager(s) do THEIR job. We came to camp, not administer the campground.

Finally, we've come to realize that there are PLENTY of places yet undiscovered (at least by us) then to return a second time to a poorly administered campground, perpetually filled to capacity by Casper and friends. Just our 2 worth.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Gina, I read your original post twice and decided you were dropping off on Friday and returning the next day. What you actually did I personally don't have a problem with. I'm an early riser and like others I'm often off and about all day.

The circumstances I described I am confident involved no attendance at all.

As always, the forum shows the wide range of opinions available. My nature is that rules are rules. Enforce them or change them.

At the time I type this the majority opinion supports you and I agree knowing what I know now.

However, to pay and not use the site (when the rules say this is not acceptable) hints at what I call "selective anarchy". The rules apply to everyone but them. I don't know how to enforce them except after the fact. To be clear, I'm talking about not sleeping on the site. To me, even without the rule, it seems wrong.

To each his/her own. We're all fortunate I'm not King of the World. One of my desires is to have the power to Dope Slap anyone I think deserves it. I'd have a sore hand (Not to mention self induced Dope Slaps. Doh!) You're not a candidate for what you describe.