Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
....campfire that smokes continually
Anyone building a campfire should go through training first. It is not hard to have a fire that produces no smoke. Tougher with crappy wood, but still possible. Just need to make certain it burns hot. NO PLAYING with the wood either, just add one stick at a time, at the right time which is when the last stick is burning hard.

One other advantage of a hot fire, is that the air is drawn up with the chimney effect.

Crappier wood, just split it smaller for more surface area.

Camping mostly in the boondocks we have no issues with a clean burning fire, and often have up to 20 folks around it. I have witnessed some very poor attempts at a campfire, with folks who seem to think they need to have it going all day without proper attention, resulting in lots of smoke.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #16

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Now THAT'S what you call taking matters in your own hands!! It just floors me at the LACK of common sense anymore anywhere you go. It's VERY discouraging and I- in turn- frustrate my wife because she knows I cant deal with "stupidity"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We "store" our camper at a campground, eight-tenths of a mile from our condo. It's a nice walk, or ride with our ICE trikes. Ours is the last seasonal and then there are five daily rentals on the other, upwind, side. Twice this year weekenders have moved the fire pit from the back where everyone else's is, and where they are to stay, to between our campers. Our camper is downwind from the daily sites in the Root River Valley.

A couple of weeks ago I arrived back with our camper and there were daily neighbors sitting around the moved pit. I told them they weren't supposed to move the pit and they ignored me. I have fire tongs, walked over to their pit, and moved the lit logs back to where they belonged. They just sat with their mouths open, but he went to the manager and complained. I then took my fire mitts and moved the fire ring. He returned with the manager. Upon seeing the moved pit the manager said if he didn't like where the pit was (in back where it belonged) he could camp elsewhere.

In the morning they were gone.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Anyone building a campfire should go through training first.
OR- own what I have and that's the "Little Red Campfire". We just recently bought a small "percolator" to place on top of it. We tested it out on the deck the other night. It was super! That brewing smell brought back MANY memories of when I camped with my Dad/mom/siblings many years ago- ummm... Arrowhead Campground comes to mind near Six Flags Over Georgia. 1970's.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
It is a reality that the campground is mixed use. The site overlooking the lake that one person reserves to enjoy the view and relax may be right next to the three sites with the same family getting together for a reunion. They are on the lake so they can keep an eye on their noisy children at the beach while they sit around and catch up with siblings.

I have to remind myself that I was once one of those noisy, rambunctious kids, fighting with siblings and cousins and consistently using my "outdoor voice" with great enjoyment. Reminding kids that riding bikes needs to stay on the road not through other campsite goes over a lot better if you don't let the initial transgression make you angry or upset. Kids enjoying the outdoors is inherently a good thing.

I want solitude I go to the woods and have few amenities, I want showers, water, electric or a location on the beach.... I can't expect solitude. Not expecting it means I don't get upset at it's lack. On the other hand if I can put up with outhouses and hand pump I guess I figure my neighbors can skip the generator and air conditioner.

Some people literally don't know how to make a good fire. And even if all 200 sites have committed mountain men on them who can start a fire in a hurricane using flint and steel anytime you have that many camp fires it is going to put some serious smoke in the air.

Dogs under control, fires in rings, hours of operation for generators, and time when noise needs to die down. Proper trash disposal Think this is on the back of every state park registration card.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
We had some very drunk tent campers have a wild party next to us many years ago. After they finally turned in very late I had a little fun with them. There were tons of raccoons in the campground so I chummed their whole site with a stale box of the kids Cheerios. I threw them all around the tents and hit the hay. They got zero sleep with the raccoons fighting over the Cheerios. Every once in a while I could here them fighting off the critters. They were very quiet the second night from the lack of sleep and hangovers. It was very enjoyable knowing I had a hand in their misery.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #20

Tennessee
Sometimes on this forum, there's a post that comes along and just cracks me up....this was one OF them!!

Thanks...I needed a good laugh today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
We had some very drunk tent campers have a wild party next to us many years ago. After they finally turned in very late I had a little fun with them. There were tons of raccoons in the campground so I chummed their whole site with a stale box of the kids Cheerios. I threw them all around the tents and hit the hay. They got zero sleep with the raccoons fighting over the Cheerios. Every once in a while I could here them fighting off the critters. They were very quiet the second night from the lack of sleep and hangovers. It was very enjoyable knowing I had a hand in their misery.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #21

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
OR- own what I have and that's the "Little Red Campfire".
I reluctantly broke down and bought an Outland Firebowl a while back, as it is a good focal point for a group for those situations where a real fire is not allowed, but does not compare in the least to a real campfire, which to me since being a wee kid has been synonymous with camping. There is just something about the life of a real campfire, the flames, the glow and the hot coals, that add comfort to the soul. I will take campfire smoke over the smell of burned propane any day. But, different things have different meaning to everyone, that's what makes us individuals.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Campfires and Smoke.

The perceived need for a campfire something I can do without. In fact I think I've had one or maybe two campfires in the 200 days of camping.
Campfire drawbacks.
1. Smoke gets in your eyes and you end of breathing smoke.
2. Campfires draw your eyes to fire like a moth the flames. Destroys your night vision.
3. Your neighbors have to breath your smokey campfire.
Just to name a few.

During our backpacking days we were often in places where campfires were banned year around if not during the fire season. We learned rapidly that a campfire wasn't necessary since all of our cooking was on white gas single burner stove. I also learned that your night vision is destroyed by staring at a campfire. I'm more interested in observing the bats flying around, the sounds of a racoon walking through the brush than staring a campfire or listening to the crackle of burning wood.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #23

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
1. Smoke gets in your eyes and you end of breathing smoke.
2. Campfires draw your eyes to fire like a moth the flames. Destroys your night vision.
3. Your neighbors have to breath your smokey campfire.
Just to name a few.
This is why I say folks need to learn how to light and maintain a fire.
1. There is no smoke in the eyes, as there should be next to no smoke, it should rise up, and if there is a breeze my tip of the day is to not sit downwind.
2. Yes, I love that, and a few seconds away from the fire your eyes normalize. It is very common for us to lay on the grass and stare at the stars close by the fire pit.
3. Not sure where you are camping, but I have never had a fire that affected another site. Besides, there should be no smoke short of when lighting it.

Maybe I will see some issues with campfires as I tour more further away from home, but only once have I seen an issue, and that was at a campground near Jasper where they musta been some kind of inversion as there was a bit of smake just floating in the air, though I was just driving through.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #24

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
We were camping in a Private CG in Duluth MN last weeks and a tenter next to us came over at 10pm and said our fire glow was disturbing him and his family trying to sleep and since it's quiet hours I had to put it out. We were far enough away and talking quietly and I'm sure if our convo had been bothering him he would have said something but only mentioned our fire which was down to mostly coals and a small flame that I don't think was even visible above the fire ring. Does quiet hours include extinguishing your fire as well? I thought it pertained to noise which we were making none of. I had even turned out all the camper lights as a courtesy to the tenters around us.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #25

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
There was a significant improvement in air quality when BC Parks stopped providing free firewood many years ago.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #26

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is why I say folks need to learn how to light and maintain a fire.
1. There is no smoke in the eyes, as there should be next to no smoke, it should rise up, and if there is a breeze my tip of the day is to not sit downwind.
2. Yes, I love that, and a few seconds away from the fire your eyes normalize. It is very common for us to lay on the grass and stare at the stars close by the fire pit.
3. Not sure where you are camping, but I have never had a fire that affected another site. Besides, there should be no smoke short of when lighting it.

Maybe I will see some issues with campfires as I tour more further away from home, but only once have I seen an issue, and that was at a campground near Jasper where they musta been some kind of inversion as there was a bit of smake just floating in the air, though I was just driving through.
I was in Death Valley a couple years ago the college kids that camped next to me had a very smoky fire that the smoke came right into the trailer. It was hot enough that I didn't want to close it up so I suffered all night. Yes a hot fire should produce very little smoke, but your neighbors go to bed and leave it burning to go out it will cool down and smoke.

A lot of backpacking was above timberline where wood was scarce so no fires were allowed.

If you were to read a bit about cones and rods that are the keys to night vision and how long it takes your eyes to recover you might sing a different song. The last I remember was about 3 hours of sleep.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Whenever I camp I like to share all my pink flamingos with all the campers around me putting one at each campsite...
Old 08-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'd say you're probably preaching to the choir here. But a reminder never hurts.

I was concerned when we pulled into a site at Lake Pleasant last year, encountering loud music next door and a couple of slightly "elevated" women dancing around camp with bottles of beer in one hand. But when they saw our kids, they toned it down and actually became great neighbors, even rescuing a ball our kids sent sailing into the lake. One turned out to be an old teaching colleague I hadn't seen for ten years.
So teachers do like to party wildly! lol