Campground Guide? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Campground Guide?

Hello! I'm getting my list together for this summer's travels and I realize I dont have a CG guide of ANY kind. I have ordered free state maps from every state I will be traveling through and have a current Road Atlas as well as a GPS and I'll update the maps before I leave. My Question is which CG guide do most of you carry for the type of traveling it seems FG owners do? I looked at Trailer Life and Woodalls at the bookstore and they were HUGE and confusing. They also seemed geared more towards high priced commercial CG's near major interstatesand cities. I plan to travel State and local roads so need CG's usually found in those areas hopeully no more than $20 a night. I havent found a guide that lists all State, Federal, USDF, COE, etc type of parks. I want to get one I'd get the most use out of or a couple different ones if necessary. I cant check a TL or Woodalls out from the library b/c we'll be gone all summer. I dont think those are the type of places I'm looking for anyway.

All suggestions are welcome!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Aliner
Melissa, I have used Woodall's. It lists all the campgrounds, including federal and state campgrounds.

When I am traveling, though, I figure out where I will be around 4:00 and then just search the net for "campgrounds near ______." Then I can call and make sure they have a spot available for the night.

I have a Verizon air card for my laptop.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We found D.J. Davin's books RV Camping in State Parks and RV Camping in National Parks quite useful. You can pick them up cheap at Alibris.com, the used book site. Also for NFS camping try Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Our Woodall's is stashed in a bin most of the time. The print is tiny, it's major city phone book size, and lists more rv parks and resorts than anything else.
I pick up state maps and campground literature at the welcome site, and keep a collection. If I have time to plan ahead, I find the state park websites for each state to be quite helpful. "Camping with the Corps of Engineers" is a great little book for states that have a number of COE parks, though it's not complete, either.
It's also helpful to check National Forest Parks for the states you're visiting/traveling. We like those, too. Personally, I'm not so keen on the big National Park Campgrounds. We're more likely to look for a state park nearby. Absolute last choice is an rv park/resort for us... Not our style.
Sherry
PS Ordering the state maps ahead of time is a great idea. Many of the state maps list most, or all, of the state parks with camping facilities on them, and are very detailed and helpful as a planning tool.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
That is a great website and fantastic prices, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
We found D.J. Davin's books RV Camping in State Parks and RV Camping in National Parks quite useful. You can pick them up cheap at Alibris.com, the used book site. Also for NFS camping try Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

Raz
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Check
Free Campgrounds
Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds - This is a book available at Amazon - There is also an eastern edition
Public Lands Information Center
Free Campgrounds USA

These are just a few - I have links to many campground guides at JV's RV Information.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote